Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Too tall or too short - my dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Rtowne View Post
    I've had my GSA for almost a year and still not comfortable around town and/or a slow speeds. I'm 5'11" tall but I only have a 30" inseam. I'm on my tip toes when I stop and really struggle when trying to move the bike while sitting on it. I've been told not to worry about it and that I'll get use to it over time. But that's yet to happen.

I have a KLR that has a seat height that's about the same as th GS but it's weighs significantly less and a lot easier to handle around town. I know people have lowered standard GS bikes but not aware of anyone doing it to an Adventure. My question is that if it can be done what are the pros and cons and approx should I expect to spend?
    I have 30" inseam. GSA. Sargent regular height seat. $400

DAYTONA M STAR BOOTS Will get you about flat footed. https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=71 $450

Extremely well made boots. Also, WESA by ohlins. $2000.
    Last edited by pfoushee; 11-18-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Met up with some of our clubmates for Sunday breakfast yesterday...4 R12R's out of 8 bikes...They are not a rare sight around here.
    I was on our R12S so no GS's at all. I ride Helen's and have to agree...it is a great do everything bike. I recall reading some post some time back saying most R owners will eventually get a RT, I think it's the other way around from what I have seen.
    +1 My wife went to an R from an RT. Faster, lighter, more maneuverable and easier to handle. Easy to farkle for touring. She says its the best sport touring bike she's had since her VFR and more comfortable as well. I've ridden both the R and RT, and have to agree.

Oh, and she's not an inexperienced rider, either. She's an MSF RiderCoach and OEM demo rider, who in addition to her R, has a Ducati Monster 1100 EVO, a CBR600RR track bike and a 1990 GB500 in the garage.
    MSF RiderCoach, Sport Bike Coach, Track Junkie, IBA, MSTA, AMA, HRCA, Factor Demo Rider
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 1990 Honda GB500TT
    Helmetless riders=Darwinism in action.

IMHO if its too tall to ride around town that you should get rid of it. I know that sounds like a harsh assessment, but I have been there. When I rode K bikes, I wouldn't take it out for anything less than a 50 mile ride, and even them I was always concerned about where I was coming to a stop

When I switched to oilheads, all of that angst went away. Now if I need to go get my haircut, I jump on the bike.

Get a GS. It's lighter and lower and will do everything that the GSA will do except have the range

YMMV
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......