Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Camheads use oil? 2012 R1200RT

I wonder how much oil use varies with environmental factors?

My '12 RT is approaching the 6K oil change. Up to last week, it had used ~1/2 qt. since the 600 mi. check. One afternoon last week, I was 2-up in a long, hot DC traffic jam. Oil temp went up to ~3/4 of the display, but never reached the top of the range -- but I could certainly smell hot oil. By the time we got home (and after allowing the engine to drain on the sidestand, then putting it on the centerstand) the level had dropped to the bottom of the red ring in the sight glass. I put in .45L to bring it back to the top of the red ring. It stayed there through this weekend's 650 mi camping trip to the southern VA end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, during which the temps were on the 60's-70's.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Rally Rat

Talking

I changed the oil and filter at 190 miles. At 932 I did it again. I put in 4 quarts. it was half way up.

Its now at 2600 and almost to the red line. I bought a real 'BMW filter today. When it gets below the red line or hits 3000 miles, I change it. I added 4 oz once.

Using dino 20 50.

I will fill to the top red line this time hoping to make 3ooo miles with out adding.

This weekend I drove it like I stole it. What a frikkin blast !

159 miles of 3rd and 4th gear. I hit the rev limiter a few times.

Edit, I broke it in by the book except the oil changes.

David

Quote Originally Posted by DROOT153718 View Post
    When it gets below the red line or hits 3000 miles, I change it.

Edit, I broke it in by the book except the oil changes.

David
    6K oil change intervals are really OK and the norm ya know? Your dollar and your peace of mind...but not necessary...just sayin'.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

6000 miles is the norm, but do you ever notice how much smoother and quieter your engine runs with nice fresh clean oil in it? And it seems like reading these threads, writers always say they burn more, or add oil the closer they get to that 6000 mark.

I change it at 3000. The 45 bucks and 20 minutes of labor is worth it to me. Your results may vary.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

You old Airhead /'57 Buick owners are a hard lot to change your ways...

I think the smoothness is a perception personally...but not my bike nor money...so I don't try to change anyones ways.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Here's a good read on oil change intervals from edmunds.com, it's titled, "Stop Changing Your Oil, Breaking the 3,000-Mile Habit":

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...762858&msite=w
    Now: '12 R1200RT Midnight Blue Metallic / '11 Ural Patrol 2WD ridden to Alaska / '09 KLR 650 / '05 HD Heritage Softail / '08 Harley Sportster 1200C / '85 Yamaha VMax bought new. I wasn't ready to say goodbye: www.shaunlunt.typepad.com

2010 RT Oil Usage

I too used a great deal of oil when new. The mechanic said this was normal and to stop using synthetic oil for the first 20 to 30,000 kms. I did that and the oil consumption has stoped completely. I now have nearly 60,000kms on the bike and no oil used between changes..
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2010 1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    You old Airhead /'57 Buick owners are a hard lot to change your ways....
    Hey guilty as charged! Like Popeye says "I ams what I ams"!
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

update to post #4 and #44

I just rode home from Seattle where I stayed with mineral oil and changed oil & filter last. The RT burned 300cc in the 3500 miles home so it appears my oil usage rate has improved. I am now at 12,500 miles.

This flatlander finally had a chance to run up and down some mountain ranges which helped to vary the engine load much more than the mostly flat and straight roads in SE MI and aided the breaking in of the motor.
    Last edited by wvpc; 10-06-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spell check
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

Rally Rat

Update

in post 47

Last oil change 2700 miles

I put in 4 qts 4 oz. Its over full and been that way for 1300 miles.

Bad news, I overfilled it.

Good news it seems to have totally stopped burning oil at 4,000 miles.

My 1100 was burning 1/2 qt (L) every 800 to 1000 miles. 130,000 miles
    I pulled it apart for rebuild. The cylinders still had the hone marks from new.
    Rings were all 3 lined up on both sides.
    Take it for what its worth.

I broke it in by the book. It says no were you can't open it up, just don't exceed xxx rpm.

About 10 miles after I left the dealer, I tried to lift the front wheel. I had plans of keeping it under 4500 rpm. I did. I whacked the throttle in first gear. It lifted the front wheel a little. The engine sputtered and it came back down. All below 4500 RPM. After a minute I figured out it was the traction control.

What a machine!