Thread: Camheads use oil? 2012 R1200RT

Hybrid View

Camheads use oil? 2012 R1200RT

I have a 2012 R1200RT, my first boxer, with about 4500 miles now. Since its 600 mile service, it has gone through most of 2 quarts of oil. Does this sound within normal range to you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by ja1800 View Post
    I have a 2012 R1200RT, my first boxer, with about 4500 miles now. Since its 600 mile service, it has gone through most of 2 quarts of oil. Does this sound within normal range to you guys?
    A little heavy, but not unheard of. My 2012 RT has used about a 1qt. in nearly 5K miles.

FWIW, I'd talk to my dealer about it to document the issue, and then watch it over the next oil change cycle. Usage should start tapering off by 8-10K, and finish using any appreciable amount between changes by about 20K. If yours is still using a large quantity of oil by 8-10K, I'd ask for the engine to be opened up for inspection, as every once in a blue moon there's a defect that gets through -- I know of one boxer that had piston issues due to a defective cylinder.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

ja:

Welcome.

On the grey bar above this box there is a tool bar. Click on "search". In the box that drops down, click on "advanced search". In the box that drops down, in the space marked "keywords" type in "oil consumption". On the right hand side, in "search in forums", click on "camheads/hexheads". At the bottom of the box, click on "search now".

Get out your favourite beverage, and read all the threads.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Data point

My 012 camhead has used approx 1 quart in the 3500 miles since the 600 mi service.
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

Caribbean Druid
    Boxers are notoriously oil thirsty thru their first 3-6k miles of life. Every boxer my wife and I have had (6 now, all R1200 motors) have been the same. Somewhere around the 3-6k miles mark they all finally stop slurping oil. Seals breaking in...thirsty gremlin living in the sump...who knows. My '08 GSA took 6k miles before it quit sucking oil, then it was fine. My wife's current 2012 R1200R just hit 3k miles and the oil consumption is now starting to slow down. My 2012 GS is about to hit 2k miles (only had it a month), and the oil consumption isn't too bad, relatively speaking. I would keep track of it and see if it starts to slow down soon. I'd bet by 6k it will drop a lot.

I'm new to BMWs. I have 7500 miles on my '12 RT and it's using 10W-40 at a total average rate since new of 1 Q per 10,000 miles. (That total rate would be higher if I eliminated the first 600 mile consumption.)

During the first 600 miles it used 1 Q at the rate of 3200 miles. But after 600 miles it almost immediately dropped down to about the same rate it is consuming now at 7500 miles on the odometer.

I've read all the stuff about BMW boxers consuming oil up till about 15k to 20k but I'm happy mine didn't do that.

I avoided the "ride it like your stole it" break-in procedure that's sometimes recommended. I broke it in more gently, like it cost me $20,000, and that's not even close to a steal.

(I keep meticulous records. I pour oil into 3 oz plastic bottles and use a spreadsheet.)
    Last edited by Norms 427; 08-23-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    Now: '12 R1200RT Midnight Blue Metallic / '11 Ural Patrol 2WD ridden to Alaska / '09 KLR 650 / '05 HD Heritage Softail / '08 Harley Sportster 1200C / '85 Yamaha VMax bought new. I wasn't ready to say goodbye: www.shaunlunt.typepad.com

Rally Rat
    Mine is a 2012 demo bike. Was almost to the top of the sight glass this morning. I rode the bike about 300 miles today and it's halfway up the sight glass. It's parked in the same spot in the garage on the center stand. Currently have about 3200 miles on it. Always smell burnt oil at a stop.

Edit to say: The engine was cold when I checked it the first time this morning comparing to 5 minutes after riding for quite awhile. According to the manual could lead to misinterpretations.
    Last edited by Gadgetech; 09-02-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Amateur Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetech View Post
    Mine is a 2012 demo bike. Was almost to the top of the sight glass this morning. I rode the bike about 300 miles today and it's halfway up the sight glass. It's parked in the same spot in the garage on the center stand. Currently have about 3200 miles on it. Always smell burnt oil at a stop.
    That's VERY high, I'd be very alarmed and take it in for an analysis. Pull the plugs and see how foul they look. You might need to run a large dose of Techron thru the fuel tank once or twice just to clean out the combustion chamber and valves for
    all that burned oil. That's way crazy for 300 miles.

...could lead to misinterpretations...Gadgetech
    ...comparing to 5 minutes after riding...
    Welcome.

If by this you mean that your second oil level check was 5 minutes after you started riding, then it's not enough time for the oil to warm up, the thermostat to open, and all the oil to drain into the sump.

Also, at 3200 miles, the engine could still be burning a fair amount of oil, as its nowhere near broken in. I would leave the oil at the dot for now, and check the level after each ride, after the oil has fully warmed up, and has had time to drain for at least 15 minutes after parking the bike.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetech View Post

Edit to say: The engine was cold when I checked it the first time this morning comparing to 5 minutes after riding for quite awhile. According to the manual could lead to misinterpretations.
    What kind of riding was it? I found that hilly-curvy roads consumed lots of oil when mine was new. It is great way to break it in because those big jugs suck a lot of oil during compression braking, but it does show up on the window.

Do give it lots of time after you turn it off.

Half way down the site glass is .25 quarts, so that is a quart in 1200. Not unheard of on a new engine. Toyota thinks a quart in 600 is normal for a Rav-4 or Camery all the time. It is in the manual, but don't get me started on that.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Welcome.

If by this you mean that your second oil level check was 5 minutes after you started riding, then it's not enough time for the oil to warm up, the thermostat to open, and all the oil to drain into the sump.
    I meant that I checked it cold when it was near the top of the sightglass and at least 5 minutes after my long ride so my results probably aren't accurate. I'm going to do a warm up ride for 20-30 minutes then see what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
    What kind of riding was it? I found that hilly-curvy roads consumed lots of oil when mine was new. It is great way to break it in because those big jugs suck a lot of oil during compression braking, but it does show up on the window.
    Yeah, my ride was in the area of NW SC, NE GA and SW NC. All hills and curves just about.

Update to post #4

My 012 RT now has 9K on it. It has used an additional 1 quart in the last 4500 miles for a total of 2 quarts in the 8.2K miles since the 600 miles service (done at 800 miles). I plan on one more mineral oil cycle and then a switch to synthetic. I can't complain.
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

Crazy how varied our experiences are. My 2012 RT really uses very little oil. None added before the 600 mile service. 5 or 6 ounces added before changing the oil at 3000 miles, and at 5000 miles no additional oil added and the sight glass still reads 3/4.

I did follow the manual break in proceedure and RPM targets very carefully, but I really have no concerns about the motorcycles oil consumption. Perhaps the original writer could have the dealer give it a good going over? (Or as has been written in another website, just take it out for a hard riding day in the mountains, keep the RPM's up and break it in again. That writer claimed it cured his bikes thirst! )
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT