Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car Tire as Rear Bike Tire - WHATDOYOUTHINK?

Hybrid View

Car Tire as Rear Bike Tire - WHATDOYOUTHINK?

Even with my new 2011 1200 RT, I still ride with my old Gold Wing buddies. The number of guy putting car tires on the rear of their Wings is increasing quite a bit, actually a lot. The main reason is the lure of getting 30,000+ miles on a tire that costs around $100 with virtually no loss of handling ability or any safety issues. And we ride a LOT of twisties together.

No value judgement here...Just putting out the idea for general discussion. I can certainly understand the economic incentives of both the riders wanting double the miles at nearly half the price, and tire manufacturers wanting to maintain current price points.

If this phenomenon gains a lot of traction, maybe a motorcycle tire manufacturer might consider designing a high-milage hybrid car/cycle tire to capture a market trend.

Personally, I'm sticking with traditional rear cycle tires for now, but it is an interesting thought. What do you guys think?

I think it is the stupidest thing I've heard of in a long time.

Don't you think that if it worked as well as people claim, the manufacturers would be all over it?

Oh, maybe these are the Darwin brand of tires....
    JWMcDonald
    2003 R1150RS (current) / 1978 R80/7 (prior)
    1966 R69S (prior) / 1972 R75/5 (prior)
    Windsor, California

I think it's scary--but I know an Ironbutter who did that very thing to his Gold Wing...so who am I to judge...
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL B View Post
    ...virtually no loss of handling ability or any safety issues....
    Nonsense. Car tires have flexy sidewalls, bike tires have much more rigid ones. Car tires have flat contact surfaces, bike tires have rounded contact surfaces because bikes, you know, lean. If it were a good idea, there'd be more Iron Butters doing it than just Mac's friend.

Given the different work they do, it stretches credulity that one could substitute a car tire for a bike tire without encountering handling or safety issues, particularly in bad conditions or with marginal traction.

Feel free to go right ahead. I'll pass.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Maybe they know something we don't. Nobody's doing it on the front tire, just the back. Might work well on a wing with training wheels
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    Maybe they know something we don't. Nobody's doing it on the front tire, just the back.......
    Actually google the term "double darkside". There are folks mounting car tires rear AND front.

No comment, no opinion. I have no facts to go by.
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHillCTD View Post
    Actually google the term "double darkside". There are folks mounting car tires rear AND front.

People abuse drugs and commit suicide every day too. Just sayin' ......
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 42906 View Post
    People abuse drugs...every day too.......
    ....which results in people mounting car tires on motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHillCTD View Post

The "double darkside" refers to a rear motorcycle tire from a smaller bike mounted on the front.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roncooper View Post
    The "double darkside" refers to a rear motorcycle tire from a smaller bike mounted on the front.

Yeah, my mistake- most DD folks do run a rear MC tire on the front. I have read a few posts where a few nutballs (there goes my "no opinion" statement) do run VW car tires front and rear.
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

No way. The tires do different things.
    John.

What I know

My acquaintance did it with his Suzuki Burgman and was pleased with the change. I always considered tires the biggest ripoff in the biking world and how the crotch rocket guys can stomach shelling out all that money every few thousand miles is beyond me.

There was a big article about this in one of the cycling magazines recently, but I don't recall which one.

You won't find a suitable sized car tire to fit your RT rim. Sidecar guys do it all the time but usually use an adapter to mount a 15x4 atuo rim to the bike, then use a VW size tire that is not so far off profile wise as some here are claiming. Quite a few folks are using this setup on solo bikes as well. YMMV.
    Look on ADVRider for more info and search for Darksiders on Google.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Caribbean Druid
    Let me get this straight...You spent $20k+ on an RT, and now you're going to skimp on tires?

Car tires are meant to corner flat and support a lot of weight. That's why they have squared-off edges and vertical sidewalls. Guys who put car tires on two-wheel bikes (hacks are a different issue, given a particular setup) are idiots who don't understand motorcycle dynamics. The RT is a great handling bike for its size and weight. Why handicap the bike (not to mention the potential danger) for the sake of a few bucks?

On the other hand, you're certainly free to follow the lemmings off the cliff...

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL B View Post
    ............. with virtually no loss of handling ability or any safety issues. ..................

That statement is very wrong, You and your buddies may ride the twisty's at parade speeds, and see no difference, but throw in an unexpected reducing radius where you NEED that additional 15% lean angle to make the corner and then let me know the difference, if you are still here to relate the outcome.

I look at tires as insurance, give me the best ones that will be there with the best traction when I need them. Cheap and car tires are like trying to shield yourself with an umbrella in a lightning storm, you will probably not get struck for years, and swear it works, but one day................................