Thread: Memory card problem.....

Memory card problem.....

My lady was blasting shots at the Beemer Rally in Nakusp this weekend and ran the battery down to flat while shooting the games.
    Result - I think the camera shut down in the middle of the last picture and now the camera will not recover any pictures and my computer won't either...
    I suspect the FAT is corrupt.

Is there a fix or program to recover the pictures? All of our holiday shots are on as well

The specifics:
    Sandisc 8gb ultra class 6 memory
    Sony HX100V Camera
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Extrapolating from my own experience with an SD card and my Mac: can you introduce the card directly into your computer, as with an SD slot? If the computer recognizes the card, you could run a disk repair utility to see if the error can be corrected.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Sandisk makes a recovery program, they use to include a mini cd in some packages. It was Rescue pro. There are also several recovery programs on the internet for download, some cost $$ some don't. I have had some problems in the past and they work pretty good, not all were 100%.

I have 2 of the sandisk, I would mail you one if you can't find another suitable program.

Lexar also has a recovery program, but you need to buy a Lexar card to get the code to use it. Unfortunately I had to use it recently and it recovered about 80% of the images on the card.
    Dan

PM Sent
    Integrity is what you do when no one is looking.

2008 R1200R Black

Not sure if it works with "other" cameras, but Olympus sells a little adapter that your chip plugs in to, then the adapter plugs straight into any USB port.

I had a total freeze up with my Kodak camera, removing the battery for minute 'rebooted' it. Probably not the same problem, but handy to know.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

First of all thank you all for your help!

I downloaded Rescue Pro and it scanned the card and announced "a severe problem with the media or damaged card"

I tested the program with an good sd card and the program and found the pictures right away.

I guess I am out of luck.........on the bright side (if there is one) the Sandisc card has a lifetime warranty
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Unless the program you are using gives you the option to data carve, you won't be able to recover anything. I think you are right, either the FAT or the MBR is corrupted. If the FAT is corrupted, data carving would work, but if the MBR is bad, then I think you are FUBAR, even with professional level forensic tools.

I didn't look too deeply, but I would suggest you download an open source data carving tool and run that against the data and see what you get:

http://geekyprojects.com/data-recove...e-top-10-list/

Good luck man.
    Integrity is what you do when no one is looking.

2008 R1200R Black

You all have done a great job on putting together a nice rescue thread for something that could be in photography or gear. I'd like to move it, tag it up and maybe add something to the title so others can find the info.
    GSAddict, you started the thread....thoughts? Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    You all have done a great job on putting together a nice rescue thread for something that could be in photography or gear. I'd like to move it, tag it up and maybe add something to the title so others can find the info.
    GSAddict, you started the thread....thoughts? Gary
    Please be my guest. Thank you.
    '
    Ufda happens..........