Thread: Dead GPS

Dead GPS

My five year old ZUMO 550 has died and will need sent in for x-change $150.00 so says Garmin. All the mounts i have for the 550 will not work with any other Garmin if i want to look at any other units i bet. Are there any units that show weather with the road. I like the 550 but five years seems a little short to me.

Have the refurbs been holding up?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I had a couple of 550 refurbs (I owned two GPSes), they were fine, but five years is a century when it comes to GPS model runs. The 550 is slow as molasses, the newest map sets will not fit, and it does not do weather. You need a 665 for that.

I always sell my old units for good money when new models come out and that way the upgrade is relatively cheap.

It's a few years ago now, but my first 550 sold for $450 and I bought the 660 for $625. When the 665 came out, the second 550 went for $400 and I paid about $700 for the 665.

No regrets about doing things this way. I tear up 50k miles a year and consider the GPS essential and a business expense. It also beats the hell out of a GPS laptop like I used in 1995, although admittedly, that was in the cage.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I got a refurb unit to replace my dead 550 last year. I too was about five years old when it died. Seems to be the typical lifespan. Refurb one is working well so far. I considered upgrading to the 660, but in the end the price tag was more than I wanted to spend.

I did end up getting a Garmin Montana this year to use on my GS and for handheld use. The 550 now stays just on the GT.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Take a look back at some fairly recent posts of mine & related threads per my Garmin 550 experience. They will do the thing for 1/2 price if you have what seems to be persistence. I only needed the rubber replaced that seals the on/off rt side but got a new /er unit back for $75. Looks brand new to me as opposed to refurbed. One guy got his replaced for nothing so consistency is not their thing @ Garmin, so it seems.

Sent it in today for $100.00

There are loads of weather sources on phones, pc's, roadside joints,etc so I don't consider that by itself a reason to upgrade. The 550 is long in the tooth and way too little built in memory as is true for virtually everything Garmin makes- chips are cheap but Garmin is even cheaper.
    But the refurbs work. My original 550 died quickly from a bad screen and the refurb sent has been fine eve since.
    However, a much cheaper 2640 bought from Costco for my car is way superior in terms of its functionality as a gps- its about a 2 yr old model now. Some local users are going to the Montana, epecially the GS bunch.

Garmin must have a wheel of fortune they spin on every call to see what price you get?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Garmin must have a wheel of fortune they spin on every call to see what price you get?
    The phone reps have a lot of latitude on what they can do for you. Be nice to them.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

You can expand a 550 via the SD memory card slot. I now have the latest entire NA map on the card with room to spare.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    The phone reps have a lot of latitude on what they can do for you. Be nice to them.
    Mine WAS! nice but she could not make the call on price change & had to leave the conversation to spin the wheel or consult with her supervisor. It bothers me when a company is inconsistent like they obviously seem to be. When I complained about $150 repair just because they will not sell the rubber parts she went away and came back with less. Others have paid more than me, some got a freebie . Yes I know how to be nice but my point is well made, they are lacking in consistency & we throw lots of money their way so can expect better. Invite them to the big rally & then we can sweet talk them in person?

I got a E=mail yesterday\Monday stating they sent a refurb.

wow 5 year life span on a 400-600$ gps. Think ill stick with my givi bag and a typical gps. That is just nuts. how do you guys justify only 5 years out of a 500$ dollar device? i build computers for the last 20 years i have never seen unless it was some cheap hardware only have a life span of 5 years. i mean when you can say run a mechanical harddrive for 8-12 years and they cant figure out how to keep a 500$ gps over 5. this makes me not want to touch garmin. this is a pure result in making a device with cheap parts. i'm really happy i read this i was thinking about ordering a 660LM. now garmin going to be lucky if i buy a cheap gps from them. my tomtom is about 8 years old in my truck it has no issues. and let me tell ya my truck dont travel on flat ground much. heck 100$ a year for a gps i can afford to drop one per year and get a updated one.