Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: not sure why they don't sell these here...

not sure why they don't sell these here...

...but if they did they would sell, i bet,

r850r seen in ireland in may. (rental)

i'm guessing its got 70-80 hp.

i'm pretty ancient but i can remember a buddy with an r69s in high school in '64 and thinking,

"that's way too much bike."

(i had a 350cc duck)
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

They did sell them here, but BMW no longer makes an R850.
    If you want one...

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3217127367.html

thanks

looks like they may still make them in europe. dunno
    Last edited by f14rio; 08-20-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Because many have a bigger is better mentality here. People think the new 800's are too small, when they have almost as much power as the 1100's!

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    They did sell them here, but BMW no longer makes an R850.
    If you want one...

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3217127367.html
    Well, they do but it's a 900 now. Yes, in yurrup there's an R900RT and probably an R900R.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Because many have a bigger is better mentality here.
    How true. Sort of like the HP thing. They all want more, but they can't get out of their own shadows, or my way when I am try to get by in the "passing" lane. LOL.

It is because the European riding community is more attuned to riding than the majority of the U.S. riding public. In particular they haven't had a majority of their riding population brainwashed by one particular U.S. motorcycle manufacturer intent on selling an overpriced, antiquated design of a motorcycle as the entry price to a perceived weekend warrior lifestyle. You have to give said manufacturer's advertising division a lot of credit. As for the majority of U.S. riders sucked into the "lifestyle"...Idiots.
    MSF RiderCoach, Sport Bike Coach, Track Junkie, IBA, MSTA, AMA, HRCA, Factor Demo Rider
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 1990 Honda GB500TT
    Helmetless riders=Darwinism in action.

Quote Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
    It is because the European riding community is more attuned to riding than the majority of the U.S. riding public. In particular they haven't had a majority of their riding population brainwashed...
    Its unfortunate though that even BMW has to produce what the brainwashed wants.

Just look at the GS. It started as an 800, then 1000, then 1150, now the 1200 and they are talking about a 1250. I guess I'll wait till its a 2000.

I have an 1150 GSA only because BMW no longer made a R100 GS PD which I would have preferred and would have bought if it were available at that time. I also have a R100 GS and R80 G/S PD. And if I were really going to a remote area, I'd take the R80 G/S PD.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Well, they do but it's a 900 now. Yes, in yurrup there's an R900RT and probably an R900R.
    Really? I went on the motorrad de site and only found R1200 models. I found a R900RT from 2005 to 2010, but nothing current. I found a R900RT from this year for police, but no mention of a civilian model.

possibly the biggest thing that caused the discontinuation of the R850 series was the lack of profit on the sale. the bike was essentially identical in every regard to the 1100, other than pistons and such, so production costs were basically the same. however, in this market, you can't sell an 850 at 1100 prices, hence- no 850 in the US of A. plus, in Yurp, with the much higher gas, insurance and licensing costs of a larger displacement bike, people find untold value in something smaller.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    possibly the biggest thing that caused the discontinuation of the R850 series was the lack of profit on the sale. the bike was essentially identical in every regard to the 1100, other than pistons and such, so production costs were basically the same. however, in this market, you can't sell an 850 at 1100 prices, hence- no 850 in the US of A. plus, in Yurp, with the much higher gas, insurance and licensing costs of a larger displacement bike, people find untold value in something smaller.
    European tax laws drive the existence of bikes like the R-850 and R-900. They cost no less to build than their larger displacement siblings, but cannot be sold for the same price as the larger displacement bikes, so they are less profitable to sell. Only Europe's quirky tax and licensing laws make such bikes profitable to sell. In the US, there are no tax breaks for smaller displacement bikes so there is no market for them here.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

In many European countries a vehicle is taxed by it displacement and HP. Add in the cost of insurance being less than a bigger motor and you begin to understand.

Also many places have a tiered driving license system so a beginner cannot buy a huge motor.

With the cost of gasoline now at , or approaching $10.00 per gallon over there, smaller displacement and better fuel mileage make a lot of sense. Something most Americans do not face.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    Years ago, as I was buying a used K75RT from a dealer, I asked him why they were discontinued. He said they cost almost as much to make as a K100 but they sold for $2,000 less.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post
    With the cost of gasoline now at, or approaching $10.00 per gallon over there, smaller displacement and better fuel mileage make a lot of sense.
    I broke my last record from a couple of years back when the $ to € exchange rate was a lot worse. This summer, I put $65 into my R1150 GS Adventure and the tank wasn't even empty. I'd hate to think what it would have run me a couple of years ago. Another first is 549 kms (341 miles) before filling up.

But the roads over there are worth the high price of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post
    In many European countries a vehicle is taxed by it displacement and HP. Add in the cost of insurance being less than a bigger motor and you begin to understand.

Also many places have a tiered driving license system so a beginner cannot buy a huge motor.

With the cost of gasoline now at , or approaching $10.00 per gallon over there, smaller displacement and better fuel mileage make a lot of sense. Something most Americans do not face.
    This is the correct answer. Bigger, higher horsepower motors just cost a lot more to operate in Europe. That said, I know at least 15 guys that I've ridden with in Europe who own the 1200GS.