Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Selling a high mileage bike?

Registered User bluegrasspicker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    Anybody have any ideas? I have a 2002RT with about 145,000 miles. Just put about 1800 bucks into it new tires, new odyssey battery, fresh tune up, fluids, moto lights, trailer hitch and trailer. Besides a lot of pictures, what would it take to find a buyer? Jon
    Just sold my 02 for what I considered a fair price. looked at blue book and knocked the price down some. mine had 100K
    Tom Barrie
    http://bluegrasspicker.blogspot.com/
    2012 K1600GTL
    2002 R1150RT (sold)

... what would it take to find a buyer?
    Placing an advert in something, would be a start. BMWMOA FleaMarket, perhaps?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

About a month ago purchased a 2000 RT1100 with under 12,000 miles for $4000. A friend did a fly and ride on a 1994 1100RS with 100000 miles with all the maintenance and repair records for $2000. She rode it from Texas to Seattle and is now asking $2500 for it. GLWTS.

Bluenoser
    Quote Originally Posted by TR250Tom View Post
    The right price.

The $1800 bucks are gone. The next buyer EXPECTS the bike to have good tires, battery, and fluids. Motolights and a trailer hitch don't add value, and may even limit the market for the bike.

Price it low and move on.

Cheers, Tom
    I couldn't agree more. Once a bike reaches that kind of mileage you will have to sell it cheap if you want to move it.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

I bought an R1150GS back in 2010. It's a 2001 and had 126K miles. I got it out the door for $4500. I was hesitant at first, but all the mainenace records were with it and it had been meticulously attended to for every scheduled sevice and a few other fixes along the way. There was even a top end rebuild (over $3,000 for the job) done at 101K miles, that included all kinds of seals, belts, parts that tend to go bad, as often discussed on oilhead forums). It looked great for it's age and ran as smooth as silk. To me, it sorted of started over at 101K miles, and I think the high miles scared off other potential buyers till I made my offer. Absolutely no regrets here.
    More to the point, if you have good, complete maintenance records, and a buyer that understands the potential life of a well-kept beemer, someone will come along and buy it at a fair price. I think you just have to make sure you include a description of its maintenance history in your advertisement..
    Best wishes, Curt
    Curt Yeager

I bought my airhead with a buncha miles on it. The odo wasnt working when I bought it. I'm guessing it has almost 300k on it by now. I've done a lot of stuff to that little motorcycle,often felt sorry for it at times but have been beating it like an anvil for 19 years. Only thing it hasn't been is a GS. Might be it's next transformation. Anyway I have a K and recently bought a oilhead. I don't seem to sell em once I get em so recipts just mean clutter to me.....Got a bunch with both the K and oilhead.

Take the hitch off it. I for one would never buy a BMW with a hitch. clutch, fragile tranny, fragile final drive etc. They are not made for it, and I just would walk away.

Rod

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    Take the hitch off it. I for one would never buy a BMW with a hitch. clutch, fragile tranny, fragile final drive etc. They are not made for it, and I just would walk away.

Rod
    When I worked with used cars years ago, the first thing we did when we got a for resale car with a hitch was to remove it and try to make it look like it had never had one.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post

Rod
    Funny, I have 513,000 miles on my 1977 R100RS and about 300,000 towing a BushtecTrailer.

Seems OK to me?
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Wonder if Jon sold the bike. Posted on August 20th asking the question and then nothing else.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Nope, justs runs out too good to let it go. It has new conti attacks and ohlins. Holds the road and handles better than my 04RTP. There's just something about how smooth a high mileage boxer engine runs.

Bud, you gonna make Falling Leaf?

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    Nope, justs runs out too good to let it go. It has new conti attacks and ohlins. Holds the road and handles better than my 04RTP. There's just something about how smooth a high mileage boxer engine runs.

Bud, you gonna make Falling Leaf?

Jon
    Hi Jon,

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I didn't make Falling Leaf and I'm sorry that I wasn't there. Looks like the weather was reasonable and lots of folks had a good time.

Did you go?
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Talking Trailer and Hitch

Send me a pic of what ever you are selling , I may be interested

I'd say avoid buying this guys bike - it has a final drive on it....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442