Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Testing out the new helmet cam

Enjoy the ride!
    Be careful, there is a correlation between having an accident and having a video camera running.

Thanks to those who recognize a safe pass on a country road. The driver was going very slow and you could see in front of him for a quarter mile.
    As for the cam, it's a bit fish-eye. I was going to go for the "2" but didn't. Maybe I'll upgrade.

Ride Safe, Live Well
    ...or getting a ticket after the fact. Like the guy in Canada who recorded himself going 186 mph on his Yamaha R1. He posted his video on line and got nabbed later. Gotta love technology!

I want to move this to Gear...It sure isn't an Oilhead only issue
    maybe a seperate discussion about that lovely ubiquitous double yellow can start in Just Ridin' . The subject of the original topic sure got over the double yellow anyways
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportrider View Post
    Video taken aboard '02 R1150RT near Healdsburg, CA on 8-18-12:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylb9n...ature=youtu.be
    Video is no longer available to watch. Can you repost?

I haven't yet seen it.

I agree with comments on lines, and add speed limits are sometimes ridiculous too.

However, if you break the rules, no matter how sane you are and how safe it is, if a smokey sees you, you are virtually guaranteed a ticket. Although that sucks and I hate it, you will have to argue with the rule makers, not the folks upholding them. Even though some of the smokeys can be a__holes.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Long Range Rifleman
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyatheart View Post
    Video is no longer available to watch. Can you repost?

I haven't yet seen it.

I agree with comments on lines, and add speed limits are sometimes ridiculous too.

However, if you break the rules, no matter how sane you are and how safe it is, if a smokey sees you, you are virtually guaranteed a ticket. Although that sucks and I hate it, you will have to argue with the rule makers, not the folks upholding them. Even though some of the smokeys can be a__holes.
    Passing over double yellows is no problem....running 100+ on a narrow 2 lane and rolling through stop signs is a problem. Hitting an innocent vehicle at those speeds almost guarantees life threatening injuries to them. Pretty selfish and silly to risk so much just to get attention.......

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by NI5L View Post
    Passing over double yellows is no problem....running 100+ on a narrow 2 lane and rolling through stop signs is a problem. Hitting an innocent vehicle at those speeds almost guarantees life threatening injuries to them. Pretty selfish and silly to risk so much just to get attention.......
    Agreed
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    Find a flat fairing spot on the center lane side of the bike, safety tie it with an old show lace for "just in case", and record away.

A safety tie is important. My Contour comes with a safety tie but the default tie off location is the mount. Stupid. What if the mount comes loose? I tie the camera to the helmet. That has already saved the camera once when the glue failed on a stick-on helmet mount in triple digit heat.

In Vermont, you can pass on a double-yellow line UNLESS a "No Passing" sign is present. I'm still trying to figure that one out!
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by THEO View Post
    In Vermont, you can pass on a double-yellow line UNLESS a "No Passing" sign is present. I'm still trying to figure that one out!

They just figure you are smart enough to LOOK and make a safe pass, the signs are in places site lines are obscured and places that might be deceiving.

Same in Europe NO lines except where it is truly unsafe. They also figure you are smart enough to evaluate the situation and drive accordingly.

I too keep finding new sections that were passing zones, now double yellow. I almost think they pay the contractors that stripe the roads by how much paint they use.

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    They just figure you are smart enough to LOOK and make a safe pass...{snip}
    [RANT]

Yes, I think that's a reasonable assumption. Unfortunately, I have seen too many close calls -- not because it was unsafe to pass, but because the pass was executed too late in the "safe" zone. And, I'm ashamed to say, a number of close calls I have witnessed were from late passes executed by motorcyclists.

I am always wary in corners that lead onto a long straight (at least on the roads I know) -- this was the scene of my last close call. The oncoming rider did not return to his/her lane until the beginning of the corner (from his/her perspective). Fortunately, I took a very late apex and was near the fog line when the oncoming bike went by me...in MY lane. Imagine if I had been driving a car...

Don't get me wrong...my problem is not passing on the double yellow in a safe zone, but with the single-celled, pre-limbic, single-helixed mutoids that don't use common sense on the roadway. Perhaps it supports the theory of natural selection, but -- please -- not at my expense!

[/RANT]

Sorry...had to get that out...
    Theo

Long Range Rifleman
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    I almost think they pay the contractors that stripe the roads by how much paint they use.

[RANT] ...
    Don't get me wrong...my problem is not passing on the double yellow in a safe zone, but with the single-celled, pre-limbic, single-helixed mutoids that don't use common sense on the roadway. Perhaps it supports the theory of natural selection, but -- please -- not at my expense!

[/RANT]

Sorry...had to get that out...

So are you saying that the video showed an example of this mutoid behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    So are you saying that the video showed an example of this mutoid behavior?
    No. I couldn't even view the video as access is now private. I was temporarily hijacking this thread to vent on what I have seen in a state where it is legal to pass on the double yellow, as some discussion of this was made in prior posts to mine.
    Theo

Cowboyatheart
    No. I couldn't even view the video as access is now private. I was temporarily hijacking this thread to vent on what I have seen in a state where it is legal to pass on the double yellow, as some discussion of this was made in prior posts to mine.
    Nice rant.
    Would've liked to have seen the video myself to see what all the fuss is about.

I have no problem if people (I don't know of course) want to kill themselves, the problem is that they usually hurt someone else.
    Neil