Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Testing out the new helmet cam

Quote Originally Posted by THEO View Post
    No. I couldn't even view the video as access is now private. I was temporarily hijacking this thread to vent on what I have seen in a state where it is legal to pass on the double yellow, as some discussion of this was made in prior posts to mine.
    I saw it before it was taken down and I really have no comment about it. It's pretty hard to get a real sense of a ride from a wide angle video.

My only comment is that I see a lot of attitudes on this forum that fall into the category of "anyone riding slower than me is an idiot and anyone riding faster is a maniac." Not saying that yours was that, but I just wasn't sure if you were commenting on the video or squids in general.

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    {snip}...but I just wasn't sure if you were commenting on the video or squids in general.
    Squids in general. However, in this case, I was ranting over the poor timing decisions made by folks when passing other vehicles on straights leading to corners...not speeding.
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    i can vividly recall years ago, when living in CT, that what had been a passing zone one day (and had been for years, obviously) had become a no passing zone the next. no change in road, traffic conditions or anything else- jsut the dashes disappeared. it was not the only one, passing zones were disappearing right and left, hither and yon.
    i took my first MSF class not much later, and in talking to the instructor, discovered that he worked for CDOT. i asked him, half jokingly, if the reason for the elimination of so many passing zones was due to State of CT using Chevy Chevettes as thier fleet vehicles, and that was what they were using as the basis for their "safety and performance assessments". he said that was indeed the case, and that if the Chevette could not make the pass within the zone, then it was eliminated.
    pandering to the slowest common denominator. sheesh!
    My 2 cents: Here in E KY there are no straight stretches, in fact the 2 straight places in my whole county are named & known by every citizen old enough to talk. There are a couple of places that are actually by any sane standard, spots that should not have a double line, but they do People pass at those spots all the time, including me, unless there's a line of cars & wont gain by doing so. There are also a few spots where it's OK to pass & obviously not safe. The road I speak of is US460, not a county backroad.
    It is common around the country to see this poor marking practice, same for the use of curve speeds, lack of curve ahead signs & lack of guard rails& so on down the list. Fact is I see more things lacking as you get into my part of the country as the politically controlled road dollars don't get here in the same amounts.
    BTW, who watches these videos of a bike ride? Do you riders actually sit & watch this stuff? Once I'm home I'm onto the next whatever...

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post

BTW, who watches these videos of a bike ride? Do you riders actually sit & watch this stuff? Once I'm home I'm onto the next whatever...
    Many watch to get a preview of a road/ride they are thinking about, or to re-ride a road they didn't record, or to view a road/ride they probably will never see. In the Rockies, I see requests for off road recordings because there is interest whether a big dual-sport can handle it. Often a vid tells more about what one can expect, more accurately, than words or a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    Many watch to get a preview of a road/ride they are thinking about, or to re-ride a road they didn't record, or to view a road/ride they probably will never see...{snip}
    A great idea -- especially in off-road environs.

A much less accurate (though very entertaining) preview can be had by someone posting their GPS track file, importing it into Google Earth and "flying" over the entire ride. I did that on a recent trip through the mountains and really had a good time replaying the trip. As an added plus, Google Earth can be configured to show you a elevation profile of your ride as well!
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i