Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: New Rally Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Nye View Post
    It is much, much different when you plan on crossing with materiel that you intend to sell while in Canada.

So difficult that many of the smaller and even some of the larger vendors said never again.
    I was in that case addressing the specific case quoted. I do this stuff for a living.

Selling is different as you point out, but once again not insurmountable.

A separate concern is that some brands/products have distribution agreements allocated with different holders to the rights in Canada and the US. A US vendor would not be allowed to violate the distribution rights of a Canadian licence holder by selling in Canada. They would have to be aware of whether they held the rights to sell the product outside of the US. This would apply principally to some of the large European accessory companies, but there are US manufacturers who have sold the rights to their product to a Canadian distributor, as well.

Some of this stuff is simpler than people are making out, but there are angles such as this that must also be considered.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    as with changing the date of the rally, holding it in Canada is something the vendors don't want so it won't happen. it doesn't matter what the membership wants, the vendors and BOD decide when and where the rally will be held.

The site selection process has been explained many times over.

You may wish to make it something that it is not, but that won't change the reality. No matter where the rally was, or wasn't held, someone would be unhappy. You can never please everyone.

Once again I commend the BOD for their hard work and effort.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rjzinc View Post
    Show of hands please, how many complaining about the rally site and wanting an event in Canada actually showed up for this one?
    I didn't show up. I have been to Sedalia, MO more times than I can count & it is definitely not an exciting destination for me.Certainly not on my bucket list. My hand is up for Canada. Canada, on the other hand is a beautiful place, clean & scenic, with much to do outdoors too. I can accept that the rally has been tried there before & fraught with problems. I have no clue the level of expertise applied to make it happen either. The level of commerce between these 2 countries cause one to question why it isn't possible. There are far more entries than just General Motors doing this crossing. Sherpa has not tried a broker? Maybe this is the one he has to miss and go as a rally person? If it happens again, there is a VG chance I'll ride there as long as they don't pick a wheatfield on the prairie to hold it.
    There is obviously a lot that could be said about the specifics of what goods/items can cross & the prior effort needed to get them across w/o undue hassle.
    Last edited by kantuckid; 09-06-2012 at 01:50 PM.

If Canada were considered...

Even though this would be a bit of a snub for the usual vendors, could an international, annual BMW MOA rally be held in Canada with only Canadian vendors? You'd still have the issue of your average attendees doing the border crossing, but U.S. vendors would have no worries because...they wouldn't be there.

Just thinking out loud.

Frankly, I can't imagine going through the process that the folks who pick the rally sites. Hats off to 'em.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Show of hands please, how many complaining about the rally site and wanting an event in Canada actually showed up for this one?
    I don't see this as complaining. I think its a healthy discussion about how obstacles could be overcome to make this a true international rally. No harm in that. And yes, I was in Sedalia. I camped and had a great time.

Jim

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Braddog View Post
    Even though this would be a bit of a snub for the usual vendors, could an international, annual BMW MOA rally be held in Canada with only Canadian vendors? You'd still have the issue of your average attendees doing the border crossing, but U.S. vendors would have no worries because...they wouldn't be there.

Just thinking out loud.

Frankly, I can't imagine going through the process that the folks who pick the rally sites. Hats off to 'em.
    The U.S. vendors wouldn't have anything to worry about other than staying in business. Many depend on the rally for a large part of their sales and for exposure.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Rally Rat
    Another one of the drawbacks from the vendor sellers/buyers point of view, would be cost of goods sold in Canada vs USA. For example, on another thread, a Canadian rider is looking for a place to purchase a Shoei helmet while in the USA. I asked why, reason is the same helmet, Canada $650; US $508.

I purchased several items at the Sedalia rally, Nolan Helmet, tool set, air pump. Alot of us go to the rally hoping to find a deal, not pay higher prices.

I wonder what a set of tires would cost up there.

It seems to me the cross-border problems experienced with Trenton had more to do with homework not having been done than any true obstacle. This is the reason for my initial post, asking if the BOD and Site Selection Committee would be willing to work with a small group of people eager to work through the issues.

First, I would identify the types of people that would be crossing the border:

1) Rally attendee
    2) Vendor
    3) Service provider
    4) Other?

Once we had identified all the types of people crossing the border, we would work with the Canadian Border Services Agency to prepare a package for each group that explained exactly what needed to be done. For rally attendees, this would include what you can / can't bring into Canada such as firearms and radar detectors, limits on purchases made within Canada, etc. For Vendors, this would include information about the right to sell goods in Canada, how to get goods into, and back out of Canada. For service providers (such as the MOA setup crew and Sherpa Ted) this would include information on how to get your equipment into and back out of Canada.

I would also expect this same group of people to be available to answer any questions attendees, vendors or service providers had as they read their package, and to help review the materials for anyone that wanted to ensure there would be no drama at the border.

Sorry for taking one more swing at this, but I think its worth it.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jgsmith View Post
    Sorry for taking one more swing at this, but I think its worth it.

Jim
    +1

I think it is, too. As a neighbor in New York, I am all for another Canadian rally.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Another one of the drawbacks from the vendor sellers/buyers point of view, would be cost of goods sold in Canada vs USA. ...
    I will assume this is not just an obstructionist question. While interesting can you tell us what the rate of exchange (currently $1 CA = $1.016 US) is when the rally is being held? Are the orders cash and carry? What taxes and rates apply?

Before you can even begin to answer those questions you have to know when the Canadian rally will be held. To do that you have to go through several of the exercises suggested here to put flesh out and put a proposal together for consideration by the appropriate committees and the BoD.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Rally Rat
    I am aware of a few options for rally's in Canada -
    1. I believe someone already mentioned about starting smaller scale with organizing one of them MOA getaway weekend rallies.
    2. Do the Canadian clubs currently have weekend rally's during the year? I just looked over the remaining MOA calendar for 2012 and didn't notice any? How about organizing some MOA Club rally's?
    3. I did notice the folks in Mexico have a major "international" event scheduled later this year. Check the MOA calendar.
    4. Get on the BOD and make a difference

The folks in Mexico have it right, put on their own rally, their style. I would be really interested in attending an event in Canada, but would prefer it "Canadian" style not just truck everything up from the States...

Another one of the drawbacks from the vendor sellers/buyers point of view, would be cost of goods sold in Canada vs USA. For example, on another thread, a Canadian rider is looking for a place to purchase a Shoei helmet while in the USA. I asked why, reason is the same helmet, Canada $650; US $508.

I purchased several items at the Sedalia rally, Nolan Helmet, tool set, air pump. Alot of us go to the rally hoping to find a deal, not pay higher prices.

I wonder what a set of tires would cost up there.
    How about the difference in new BMW motorcycles? And it isn't due to the exchange rate.

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    How about the difference in new BMW motorcycles? And it isn't due to the exchange rate.
    Absolutely right Bud. The US for years has had some of the lowest prices for BMW's on when adjusting for tariffs, taxes and exchange rates. The discount variance, when compared to German prices for example, has ranged from just under $1K some models to over $5K on others. The company has strong ideas about where to price to build/maintain markets, pricing compared to their competition in a market, sales mix desired while valuing the brand in the process and making a profit. So what is your point in relationship to subject at hand?
    Last edited by Mika; 09-07-2012 at 03:39 AM. Reason: word order

I am aware of a few options for rally's in Canada -
    1. I believe someone already mentioned about starting smaller scale with organizing one of them MOA getaway weekend rallies.
    2. Do the Canadian clubs currently have weekend rally's during the year? I just looked over the remaining MOA calendar for 2012 and didn't notice any? How about organizing some MOA Club rally's?
    3. I did notice the folks in Mexico have a major "international" event scheduled later this year. Check the MOA calendar.
    4. Get on the BOD and make a difference

The folks in Mexico have it right, put on their own rally, their style. I would be really interested in attending an event in Canada, but would prefer it "Canadian" style not just truck everything up from the States...
    Smaller spin off events may be fine. The topic at hand is a bit bigger. It may never happen for various reasons but would it really hurt to talk about it in a civil manner as has been done so far?

As to the Mexican Rally, if it is the one I am thinking of, it is the national rally for Mexico for a peer organization to the MOA. There is cross membership but the one I am thinking of is their organizations version of the MOA's International Rally.

As to getting on the BoD, I did consider running for the BoD. As a result of that decision and in the process of getting ready several changes have happened in where I live and work as a result; but that is all off topic in this thread. If I had run and had been elected, exploring the issues for a Canadian Rally was one of three key interests I would have tried to explore. I have great respect for the BoD and the various hard working committees. The discussion with very few exceptions has been respectful and constructive so far; showing what the forum is capable of in a positive way. Now I am just a forum member participating a discussion that interests me very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    Absolutely right Bud. The US for years has had some of the lowest prices for BMW's on when adjusting for tariffs, taxes and exchange rates. The discount variance, when compared to German prices for example, has ranged from just under $1K some models to over $5K on others. The company has strong ideas about where to price to build/maintain markets, pricing compared to their competition in a market, sales mix desired while valuing the brand in the process and making a profit. So what is your point in relationship to subject at hand?
    My post was in response to the previous posters comment about the price of tires. I guess it was just as much in relationship to the subject at hand as his post was.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.