Thread: Crash Bars: Alt-Rider or SW-Motec?

Question Crash Bars: Alt-Rider or SW-Motec?

I have a 2012 F650 GS. I am a new rider and looking to do combo riding. I took the 3 day combo course at the BMW Performance Center. They had the SW-Motec crash bars on the bike and they said they were very good. They did not interfere with my legs at all. I dropped the bike twice during the training and it was fine.

I see Alt-Rider has just come out with new bars for the F650 GS. Any opinions on which ones are the best? I want bars that protect the engine and the upper plastic (fake tank). The OEM ones look like they only protect the engine but not the body work.

And do they go on easy for a do-it-yourself-er??

Thanks!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejayrover View Post
    I have a 2012 F650 GS. I am a new rider and looking to do combo riding. I took the 3 day combo course at the BMW Performance Center. They had the SW-Motec crash bars on the bike and they said they were very good. They did not interfere with my legs at all. I dropped the bike twice during the training and it was fine.

I see Alt-Rider has just come out with new bars for the F650 GS. Any opinions on which ones are the best? I want bars that protect the engine and the upper plastic (fake tank). The OEM ones look like they only protect the engine but not the body work.

Thanks!

Jay
    Welcome to the forum Jay. At a recent Twisted Throttle open house, I purchased the SW Motech engine guards for my 09F800GS. I did a little write-up which can be found here- SW Motech crash-bar review
    It's good to see someone else in the F-Twins dept. As you are new to the forum, you might not know that at the bottom left of the page there is a box to expand how far you can "look-back" so more pages will be displayed. Good luck. Any questions....I'm around. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Any crash bars are better than no crash bars. Get the ones that look good to you.

I figure my pannier luggage is also part of the crashbar setup on my bikes.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

there is an EXTENSVE thread on advrider.com about crashbars and skid plates for the F twins, which include many options beyond just the 2 you mentioned. i ended up getting these- http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...gs-f800gs.html
    For my money, going on my bike, they were my best option. you'll have to weigh the +/-'s of each system, and make your own evaluation of which is "best" for you.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

09 F650GS, 08 Suzuki Band

I have and like the AltRider bars

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejayrover View Post

Thanks!

Jay
    I like the Alt Rider bars. I am a total klutz mechanically but was able to easily install them myself.

Registered User jamesdavidhoward's Avatar

AltRider crash bars

I have a set of AltRider crash bars on my F650GS. They have worked very well protecting the bike (and my legs/feet) in a couple of rocky-road drops. No damage to bike. I would recommend them inreservedly.
    James D. "Jim" Howard jhoward@alumni.caltech.edu

ordered Alt Rider

I decided to order the Alt-Riders. Thanks for all the advice! They came today but they sent me the F800 bars by mistake. Now I gotta send them back. What a PIA. Was hoping to put them on this weekend! Oh Well. Invoice has the right part but what's in the box is wrong.

the same

the ALt riderbars are the same for F650 and F800 so they were the right bars. Not the easiest things to install but very stout when installed. I hope I never find out how good they work! They sure look good too.