Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Is what we do really so shocking?

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    Which makes me wonder, are there still such timid women?
    Fortunately for me, they're not in my circle of friends.........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    LOL! Yes, I've experienced the same and I continue to be surprised when I encounter this from the men in the MOA. I've assumed, mistakenly, that these fellow riders would at least understand. So, why is it such a surprise that us women are just as enthusiastic (sp?) about riding and rallying? Now if I could just find a guy who likes to ride as much as I do. But that's a whole 'nother conversation. As soon as i can figure out why I can't get online thru my regular computer I'll register for those next rallies... I'm pecking away using my Nook tablet right now. Thank goodness for the wireless router!

Louise
    I think they are so surprised and awe struck for the jealousy reason I mentioned above BUT they are jealous because THEIR women would never think of doing it! That's the reaction I think I got from the men this past weekend!

Do you need me to send you the registration for form for BDB by email? It needs to be in by 9/8 to get the lower fee...I'll send it when I get to work today.
    Tonya
    2007 F800ST - Lovin' it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Fortunately for me, they're not in my circle of friends.........Rod.
    That's cool, Rod!!! I'm glad you appreciate we adventurous women! It appears you are married to one yourself! Woo hoo!
    Tonya

I wonder if the person in the opening posting would like to ride. Maybe an offer of a ride or asking if she is interested would open her up to the possibility of being a rider. It could help to spread some of the enjoyment motorcycle riding offers.

It would be interesting to have a thread on this topic. Has anyone helped someone to become an enthusiast?
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Many good observations but they strike me as a bit jaded with experience.

ÔÇ£Is what we do so shocking?ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£What? An adventure?ÔÇØ

I hope so.

I think life is suppose to be an adventure. Aren't we to curiously go where we have not gone before and revisit with fresh eyes where we have been before? How we define risk and propriety may vary from person to person and group to group. Those are adjective that modify by limiting or expanding the meaning of adventure. Shock and questions of risk should be expected. If we aren't getting them I'm not sure we are doing the adventure of life right.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

HONDARIDER
    One only needs to turn on the evening news to see that the modern world is an apocalyptic nightmare of terrorism, natural disasters, rapists, gang violence, crime, corruption, animal attacks, financial crisis, zombies, and general unpleasantness. I think a substantial portion of the population is just laying low and staying as close to home as possible. The world is scary. Breaking down at midnight on a desolate stretch of dark highway in West Texas is the stuff of nighmares...having to ask for roadside help in the deep south from someone with an accent unlike your own is certainly going to result in dire consequences...I hear they'll rob you Americans blind while you sleep up there in Quebec...and everyone in California is stoned on legalized marijuana.

I think that what you're doing is shocking to 95% of the population. You're living a lifestyle where you confront danger every day just by swinging a leg over your bike and doing so without so much as a pane of automotive glass between you and the scary world. You might as well tell people that you're a professional bull rider on the weekends or you enjoy swimming with great white sharks. I think that the mere existence of motorcycles in today's safety-centric, litigious society is shocking. They should have gone away years ago with the advent of the seat belt or the air bag.

I'm not irritated for a second when folks are shocked or point out the risks involved...they just don't get it...that's OK...maybe they're scared...maybe they lack the motor skills or the mental acuity...maybe their mother made them promise to never go near a motorcycle. It's just as well...if EVERYONE rode motorcycles, the number of accidents would be staggering...we'd have a national crisis...the evening news would be all over it...there would be one more thing to fear...motorcycles would be legislated out of existence. I prefer to count myself amongst a minority of the population...a small number of people who have taken a risk and taken in all that motorcycle travel has to offer. What we're doing is shocking...embrace it.

In my experience, breaking down on the side of the road...far from home...is often just the first step of an adventure that may allow me to meet amazing new people, exercise my problem-solving skills, or recall all those things I learned as a Boy Scout or a soldier...hell, I might navigate by the stars or even look at a paper map. Motorcycles put you out there...without the safety and security of a car or SUV to hide inside...you're immediately accessible...strangers will talk to you...some of them will go to amazing lengths to help you or to hear what you're up to so far from your home. Now, depending on your mindset, that might be the height of exercising your human spirit...or...as I suspect the majority of the populace might think...a terrifying nightmare where your incompetent mechanical, navigational, communication, and basic survival skills leave you at the mercy of a Mad Max style modern world. Fear is pervasive amongst your negihbors and coworkers.
    Last edited by hondarider; 08-21-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Fear IS the enemy

+1 Hondarider.

One of the MAIN reasons that I spend time on this 2-wheels-to-bliss site is to get away from the news, which strikes me as being "all bad." Is it REALLY "all bad?" or is this the illusory zeitgeist, artificially created by the 5-second news cycle that we currently enjoy?

(Non-political comment) -- Governments (really now run by corporations left-and-right), have a specific interest in making us afraid, very afraid, so "they" can offer (illusory) protection. We're being marinated, daily, in a witch's brew of F-E-A-R. Just say NO! You do NOT have to drink this foul concoction.

The real magic happens once you are on to the game. Start watching the news with a critical mind -- and see what's REALLY happening to us all.

If you're reading this mild diatribe, you are already lucky beyond measure, so enjoy your outrageous luck in whatever form that might take.

Walking Eagle

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Great discussion, everybody! It appears that the spirit of adventure still lurks out there. At least some people "get it!"
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

One of the main reasons I do it is because I can't be reached by phone...especially when everyone knows that I am riding farther than down the street! It gives me the excuse (and isn't that sad, that I have to have an excuse not to be bothered??) to physically and mentally get away from work and the stress of life for however long I can. I have found it to be a wonderful feeling...
    Tonya

Hmmmmm........

When I first posed the question for this thread: "Is what we do really so shocking?" I meant the "we" to be the women who ride. I did not phrase the question in a manner to convey that. My fault. "Shocking" may have been the wrong word but in the context of the question being about us women riders maybe it was right. But, the answers coming from both men and women have been educational to me - I had no idea that men got the same sorts of questions. So, I guess we are all collectively a little bit nuts in the non-riding population's thinking to be willing, and wanting!, to travel by motorcycle and see, feel and smell the world in all it's glory (yes, even the smell of the manure in the spring when the farmers spread the fertilizer). So, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised when I have conversations with non-riders and have them express such surprise at this addictive activity of mine/ours.

vroom, vroom,

Louise

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider View Post
    One only needs to turn on the evening news to see that the modern world is an apocalyptic nightmare of terrorism, natural disasters, rapists, gang violence, crime, corruption, animal attacks, financial crisis, zombies, and general unpleasantness. I think a substantial portion of the population is just laying low and staying as close to home as possible. The world is scary. Breaking down at midnight on a desolate stretch of dark highway in West Texas is the stuff of nighmares...having to ask for roadside help in the deep south from someone with an accent unlike your own is certainly going to result in dire consequences...I hear they'll rob you Americans blind while you sleep up there in Quebec...and everyone in California is stoned on legalized marijuana.

I think that what you're doing is shocking to 95% of the population. You're living a lifestyle where you confront danger every day just by swinging a leg over your bike and doing so without so much as a pane of automotive glass between you and the scary world. You might as well tell people that you're a professional bull rider on the weekends or you enjoy swimming with great white sharks. I think that the mere existence of motorcycles in today's safety-centric, litigious society is shocking. They should have gone away years ago with the advent of the seat belt or the air bag.

I'm not irritated for a second when folks are shocked or point out the risks involved...they just don't get it...that's OK...maybe they're scared...maybe they lack the motor skills or the mental acuity...maybe their mother made them promise to never go near a motorcycle. It's just as well...if EVERYONE rode motorcycles, the number of accidents would be staggering...we'd have a national crisis...the evening news would be all over it...there would be one more thing to fear...motorcycles would be legislated out of existence. I prefer to count myself amongst a minority of the population...a small number of people who have taken a risk and taken in all that motorcycle travel has to offer. What we're doing is shocking...embrace it.

In my experience, breaking down on the side of the road...far from home...is often just the first step of an adventure that may allow me to meet amazing new people, exercise my problem-solving skills, or recall all those things I learned as a Boy Scout or a soldier...hell, I might navigate by the stars or even look at a paper map. Motorcycles put you out there...without the safety and security of a car or SUV to hide inside...you're immediately accessible...strangers will talk to you...some of them will go to amazing lengths to help you or to hear what you're up to so far from your home. Now, depending on your mindset, that might be the height of exercising your human spirit...or...as I suspect the majority of the populace might think...a terrifying nightmare where your incompetent mechanical, navigational, communication, and basic survival skills leave you at the mercy of a Mad Max style modern world. Fear is pervasive amongst your negihbors and coworkers.
    +1

Getting away

Quote Originally Posted by tnevling View Post
    One of the main reasons I do it is because I can't be reached by phone...especially when everyone knows that I am riding farther than down the street! It gives me the excuse (and isn't that sad, that I have to have an excuse not to be bothered??) to physically and mentally get away from work and the stress of life for however long I can. I have found it to be a wonderful feeling...
    Yes, exactly! Although, I find I can get away from things just by turning off my cell phone. However, riding clears the mental cobwebs.

Quote Originally Posted by tnevling View Post
    That's cool, Rod!!! I'm glad you appreciate we adventurous women! It appears you are married to one yourself! Woo hoo!
    Life's too short to spend it with the bland....................Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

The difference between disaster and adventure is attitude.

Life can be an adventure or a long, boring, worthless way to spend your time. Your choice!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

HONDARIDER
    Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    The difference between disaster and adventure is attitude.

Life can be an adventure or a long, boring, worthless way to spend your time. Your choice!
    Well put,