Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Camp pillow

Camp pillow

My camp pillow is shot. I think it's been compressed into the sleeping bag stuff sack one time too many. Have any of you found the perfect camp pillow?

The perfect pillow needs to be big, fluffy, weigh nothing, and compress to less than 10 sq in. I think that leaves the air pillows out (not fluffy), but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

So what do you use?

I have what Aerostich called a Wiggy's Sweater. It is a down jacket liner which I put in a stuff sack. Perfect to wear on a cold morning, or cool evening, and it works fine as a pillow overnight.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I like my Thermarest compressible pillow.

Cowboyatheart

Cool

I like staying in hotels! Okay, I know not helpful.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

kelty

Kelty makes one I like; but I wrap it in a towel because I do not like the slippery material.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Nemo Fillo

I got a Nemo Fillo pillow a couple of seasons ago and I love it. It is the most comfortable camp pillow I have ever had and it packs down the smallest of any I've ever had, they aren't cheap, but anything that is any good usually isn't. Here's a link from the company's site, but I'm sure you can find them cheaper than this, I don't remember paying this much for it. Good luck.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2012-filo-pillow

REI Cocoon Hyperlite pillow .. .air core but with polyester fill. Packs VERY small but about half the size of a normal bed pillow when inflated, perfect for a sleeping bag. Make yourself a pillow case from an old linen pillow cover, sewn in half . .. you'll never go back to bulky camp pillows.
    Dave in Vermont
    '84 R80ST
    '81 R100 hack

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I have a small down pillow from allaboutdown.com. They have two small sizes 12x16 and 15x20. I jam it in the compression sack with my down sleeping bag.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I use Paul's solution most of the time but also have a couple of Slumberjack brand stuff pillows that stay in our vehicles & go on a camping style bike trip too. They can augment the stuff sack full of extra clothes idea. They are highly compressible.

Rally Rat
    about 12 years ago I bought an inflatable pillow. It has an air bladder with foam cushions on the outside. It comes with a soft flannel cover. It compresses into a ball about the size of a softball for packing. Infinitely adjustable from soft to hard, and cool to sleep on. Never leave home without it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBarnhart View Post
    about 12 years ago I bought an inflatable pillow. It has an air bladder with foam cushions on the outside. ... Never leave home without it.
    I'll bet you get some comments at the grocery store.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemeup View Post
    I got a Nemo Fillo pillow a couple of seasons ago and I love it. It is the most comfortable camp pillow I have ever had and it packs down the smallest of any I've ever had, they aren't cheap, but anything that is any good usually isn't. Here's a link from the company's site, but I'm sure you can find them cheaper than this, I don't remember paying this much for it. Good luck.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2012-filo-pillow
    2nd the Nemo, I even take it when I go to hotels, as I like a firm pillow, and depending on inflation goes from soft to firm. Many times the hotels are just too soft for my fat head.

A BIG bonus is it is made with a webbing on the back so height can be adjusted by stuffing it with your riding jacket or pants to get the correct height. I don't sleep well if my pillow isn't comfortable, and this one is so adjustable you can get it just right. Goldilocks would be happy

14. 08-17-2012, 04:01 PM

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    A wine box blatter ,carefully removed,rinsed out,wraped in a towel.,Toss it out later.
    If you drink the entire contents before bedtime, you will not need a pillow

I used to stuff a regular pillow into my H2W compression duffle. In an effort to reduce the size of my luggage I did something similar to Paul Glaves on my last trip to the MOA rally. I used my Darien Aerostich jacket liner folded up in a pillow case and it worked great...really comfortable.

I've tried regular camp pillows and I just can't elevate my head enough to be comfortable. I love it when I can find multiple uses for things I decide to pack for the trip. Still trying to reduce what I pack each trip.
    98 R1200C Canyon Red