Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: loud click upon take off

I have seen the large spring broken

I pulled apart an old drive shaft and swing arm housing and found the large spring that is part of the assembly to be broken in half. That unit had a nasty slapping noise on acceleration and deceleration. That would be something to consider and check.

Loud click upon take off

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog_28560 View Post
    Hello all, thanks again for previous responses to my posts, anyway, on my 86 R80, upon take off from a stand still, either 1st or 2nd gear, I get a loud click as I get moving. If i am rolling slow, and accelerate I sometimes get the same click, I hear it on the right rear and feel it in the right foot peg. looking at the manual and studying the way the drive is assembled, i am thinking that the click is from the drive shaft sliding in and out on the yolk as i take off and the suspension moves, like the mid 80's chevy trucks. Does that sound like a strong possibility? other diagnosis and suggestions are always welcome. I do not want to take apart for no reason. Thanks
    Phil
    You might want to check welds in subframe/frame assembly.Possibly might be a welded joint that has separated and is rubbing against the opposite surface.Could make a clicking noise when a torque load is put upon these surfaces as you accelerate.Might be a disaster waiting to happen.
    Mark
    Mark

1971 R75/5,1990 K75RT,1994 K75,1999 KLR

Update

Ok, i am going to replace the swing arm bearings to start, I found that the swing arm was far off from being centered and one bearing had alot of excess play. I looked for a replacement bearing besides BMW i cross referenced the # and no luck, guess I am stuck buying local, and would have it quicker since I am stationed in Germany. Then I will update again, Also, I will check for broke welds, good idea.
    Phil Bouffard
    SSG U.S. Army
    Kaiserslautern, Germany

Job complete

hello all, i completed the job today of replacing the swingarm bearings abd reassembly. I took a while on the test ride, but there is a click there, but nowhere near as loud or often. I used feeler guages to adjust the swingarm, and rechecked it the gap is about the same, is it possible to have the swing arm pins too tight against the swingarm? the click is barely audible and can hardly feel it on the footpeg and it does not occur as often. or it could be me wanting to fell the click. and no its not my hip.

any suggesstions or ride until definate proof
    Phil Bouffard
    SSG U.S. Army
    Kaiserslautern, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog_28560 View Post
    is it possible to have the swing arm pins too tight against the swingarm?
    Put the right torque on the bolts and you don't have to worry about anything. How did you tighten them?
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Phil,

it may not have been the bearings but you might have touched the area where the click comes from when you replaced the bearings.

Did you check the spring/snap assembly? Spline? U-joint?

/Guenther

Long Range Rifleman
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Front fork topping out?

"but there is a click there, but nowhere near as loud or often"

Something you did helped but not cured totally

86 is too new for my personal experience but most of this discussion has had to do with the
    drive train to the rear drive but not between the rear drive and the wheel itself

One other thing that would be affected by removing and remounting the wheel is it possible that whatever bolts or wheel spline system is on this newer model is making the click - look carefully at the wheel itself and how it is attached to the rear drive and how the rear drive imparts torque to the wheel when you apply power with your weight on the bike - in an older model with the wheel splines and spline cup riveted to the wheel you get a click when either the rivets are loose and the cup can move slightly or when the splines are worn to a step shape - click as splines jump on or off the step with weight or torque

I don't know what the 86--> system looks like

The reason why I think it is oringinating around the swing arm, because you feel it on gthe right foot peg. but not as often or loud since the repair.(attempted) there was no play at trhe transmission, driceshaft bearings had no slop in any direction, the geared hub is smooth. I question how tight the swing arm adjusters need to be. Not the actual lock nut which is torqued but the "bolts" that adjust the side to side measurements.those are the only items i see that have a contact from the swing arm to the rear subframe conducting the said click.
    Phil Bouffard
    SSG U.S. Army
    Kaiserslautern, Germany

The adjustors, or pivot bearings, have a set torque value...this is what you should use. It provides the proper amount of preload on the actual swingarm bearings. The process is, using the 6mm allen wrench adapter, tighten/loosen the adjustors until you have the swingarm essetially centered in the frame. Then on one side, tighten the adjustor to 15 ft-lbs, back off and retighten to 7.5 ft-lbs. Check that the swing arm is centered in the frame. Finally, with the special 27mm socket, tighten the locknuts to around 70 ft-lbs.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Final update

YAY, got my haynes, got good advice, got my tools, and got my a$$ on the road with no issues thus far. rode it to work, no noise. it was a pain the the butt to center the swingarm after torque, took about 30 minutes of loosen, and torque, loosen and torque. thanks all
    Phil Bouffard
    SSG U.S. Army
    Kaiserslautern, Germany

... it was a pain the the butt to center the swingarm after torque, took about 30 minutes of loosen, and torque, loosen and torque.
    So, now that you have established "centered", find the drill bit that fits into the gap (on both sides), note the diameter, and use it as your centering gauge next time. Saves buckets-o-time.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Yeah, I use an allen wrench as a centering tool. I think it's 5 or 6mm.
    Richard
    2004 R1150RS
    1984 R80 G/S
    2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S