Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: loud click upon take off

Hybrid View

loud click upon take off

Hello all, thanks again for previous responses to my posts, anyway, on my 86 R80, upon take off from a stand still, either 1st or 2nd gear, I get a loud click as I get moving. If i am rolling slow, and accelerate I sometimes get the same click, I hear it on the right rear and feel it in the right foot peg. looking at the manual and studying the way the drive is assembled, i am thinking that the click is from the drive shaft sliding in and out on the yolk as i take off and the suspension moves, like the mid 80's chevy trucks. Does that sound like a strong possibility? other diagnosis and suggestions are always welcome. I do not want to take apart for no reason. Thanks
    Phil Bouffard
    SSG U.S. Army
    Kaiserslautern, Germany

Is it a spoke wheel?
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

86 R 80 has solid wheels. One of probably a lot of possibilities is that one (or more) bolts connecting the clutch output to the drive shaft has come loose. This has happened to me. Not a sure thing, but a possibility. There's a rubber cover held on with large hose clamps which
    needs to be pushed back to view the bolts. This is rare...but less so if you or a PO have removed the transmission or drive shaft and didn't torque the bolts property (or use new ones)
    mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Have you torqued the motor mounts lately?

Maybe it's your right hip joint or knee, how old are you?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

raise the back wheel and put it in gear, move wheel back and forth listening for click or taking up excessive slack in driveline.

Inspect, drive shaft ( there is a torque coupling with ears that could have excess wear).

Inspect- Drive shaft bolts to tranny output shaft, loosen rubber clamp at tranny and inspect.

Ring gear rivets coming loose from flywheel, inspect by removing starter and check for movement, with kick starter if you have one. (Probably not this)

Could also be-Clutch input shaft wear.

-Excess lash on ring and pinion, or drive and driven bearing.

-internal tranny issues.
    Richard
    2004 R1150RS
    1984 R80 G/S
    2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Click update

ok, I checked all that was suggested, there is NO play in the drive shaft and parts, no play at the rear gear. motormounts are tight and its not my hip. When the bike is on the center stand, I run it and put it in gear let out clutch , cannot make the click sound, take the bike off the center stanf\d and stand beside it, letting out the clutch, cannot make the sound. It only clicks when my 195lb self is on the bike. any suggestions besides trimming up? I am 6ft so I am not that overweight. My hip is good also.
    Phil Bouffard
    SSG U.S. Army
    Kaiserslautern, Germany

hum..shock mounts???? U-joint play??? did you pull the driveshaft boot back and check the four bolts at the tranny output shaft???
    Richard
    2004 R1150RS
    1984 R80 G/S
    2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Sitting on the R80 changes the angle of the drive shaft. So with the symptom described I would guess the u-joints of the drive shaft.

Could also be the load on the pivot bearings in the swing-arm/frame connection. Any change in load on the drive shaft would cause a rotating force like twisting the swing arm left or right. And according to the symptom description it would be the area where the right bearing sits in the frame.

/Guenther

04 1150RS responded about checking the torque coupling on the rear of the drive shaft. That was the problem with mine. It was also making a clunking noise when accelerating.It's not hard to get to,remove the final drive,compress the splined coupling,remove the retaining ring and then the two parts of the coupling come right out.For some reason I not allowed to post pictures because I've already posted them before. If you want them PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by mohler View Post
    04 1150RS responded about checking the torque coupling on the rear of the drive shaft. That was the problem with mine. It was also making a clunking noise when accelerating.It's not hard to get to,remove the final drive,compress the splined coupling,remove the retaining ring and then the two parts of the coupling come right out.For some reason I not allowed to post pictures because I've already posted them before. If you want them PM me.
    First, it's not that you're "not allowed" to post them...it's the software that lets only one named image be uploaded to the server. If you had these images on a web server like smugmug, etc., you could link to your heart's content. Do you know the previous posts where you uploaded the pictures? Are they in this thread:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37251

Second, you reference an Oilhead model...are there similarities between it and the Airhead being discussed in this thread?
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Long Range Rifleman
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Front fork topping out?

"but there is a click there, but nowhere near as loud or often"

Something you did helped but not cured totally

86 is too new for my personal experience but most of this discussion has had to do with the
    drive train to the rear drive but not between the rear drive and the wheel itself

One other thing that would be affected by removing and remounting the wheel is it possible that whatever bolts or wheel spline system is on this newer model is making the click - look carefully at the wheel itself and how it is attached to the rear drive and how the rear drive imparts torque to the wheel when you apply power with your weight on the bike - in an older model with the wheel splines and spline cup riveted to the wheel you get a click when either the rivets are loose and the cup can move slightly or when the splines are worn to a step shape - click as splines jump on or off the step with weight or torque

I don't know what the 86--> system looks like

The reason why I think it is oringinating around the swing arm, because you feel it on gthe right foot peg. but not as often or loud since the repair.(attempted) there was no play at trhe transmission, driceshaft bearings had no slop in any direction, the geared hub is smooth. I question how tight the swing arm adjusters need to be. Not the actual lock nut which is torqued but the "bolts" that adjust the side to side measurements.those are the only items i see that have a contact from the swing arm to the rear subframe conducting the said click.
    Phil Bouffard
    SSG U.S. Army
    Kaiserslautern, Germany

Loud click upon take off

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog_28560 View Post
    Hello all, thanks again for previous responses to my posts, anyway, on my 86 R80, upon take off from a stand still, either 1st or 2nd gear, I get a loud click as I get moving. If i am rolling slow, and accelerate I sometimes get the same click, I hear it on the right rear and feel it in the right foot peg. looking at the manual and studying the way the drive is assembled, i am thinking that the click is from the drive shaft sliding in and out on the yolk as i take off and the suspension moves, like the mid 80's chevy trucks. Does that sound like a strong possibility? other diagnosis and suggestions are always welcome. I do not want to take apart for no reason. Thanks
    Phil
    You might want to check welds in subframe/frame assembly.Possibly might be a welded joint that has separated and is rubbing against the opposite surface.Could make a clicking noise when a torque load is put upon these surfaces as you accelerate.Might be a disaster waiting to happen.
    Mark
    Mark

1971 R75/5,1990 K75RT,1994 K75,1999 KLR