Thread: key blank 70's airhead

key blank 70's airhead

Anyone know a good source for a key blank? Ordered one on-line, looked like the original, plastic head that pivots, but my local reputable locksmith said "depth" was not sucfficient. He cut it but it won't work. He also cut a Volvo blank that doesn't work. I have what I think is an original spare. Picture is spare that works on the left next to supposed original replacement that won't work. I at least need a spare, even if it doesn't look like the original. So any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got a blank at the local dealer. My local locksmith also had a proper blank (non folding though). Both keys work well.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

I went to the dealer, cost was very reasonable
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

Check the Resources and Links thread...there's a link to a folding key source.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I got some on Ebay

I got a few on Ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Motorcyc...6c188f&vxp=mtr

I found some cheaper before, but here is one.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Moto-bins sells them at a reasonable price:

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...?q=94500&go=GO
    Stan

AH# 13238

Douglas Williams
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Got mine (folding head) from Hucky for ~$10. Cut at the local locksmith for another $5, and working fine.

Folding key blanks. . .

Same experience as OP w/ folding key blank, except for me, insufficient "depth" relates NOT to the length of the key blank, but rather to the width of the blank (top-to-bottom, sideways - not thickness) -- obvious upon close comparisison, and strange that the manufacturer couldn't get this right, eh?

I had two folding keys made (with these "thin" blanks) for two separate R100RS's, and one worked fine, and one did not. Go figure.

To round-out this discussion for others, these folding keys are steel and not "alloy." Many local key-makers will NOT cut these, as it eats the abrasive wheel.

Walking Eagle

I ordered blanks on line from a dealer.

Local key guy would not cut them, as they are steel.

I did not have the bike with me at the time, just the ignition key.
    he made me two keys.

They did not start the engine, but will work the locks on fairing compartments for my 1982 R100RT.

I went back in to the key guy with the bike, he made two more and he ground down the upper area as can be seen on the attached.

I now keep the two non-modified keys in storage compartment locks and have extra ignition keys.

If I ever need a key to start engine I can ground one of those those down so it fits deeper in the ignition and will start the bike

Code on Key is SR61N
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 104571; 09-16-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added key code

This is where I bought my folding keys:

http://motokeys.ecrater.com/p/112944...ad-folding-key

These are steel keys, but the steel is soft. For those who do not work with metal, that means a file will cut the key but the key is harder than brass. What I did was take the keys (both original and blank) out of their folding plastic and used the original to cut the copy. This was done using a small vise, miniature file, then aligning the two keys, and (carefully) filing the new key to fit the profile of the old.

No, the new key blank does not have the same profile height dimension as the original. But, it works just as well even though the profile is a bit shorter (truncated). I am thinking all the replacement folding keys sold today have the same smaller blank dimensions than my 1978 original. I chose to cut my own out of preference. Many people have reported good luck getting a locksmith to cut replacement keys.
    Stan

AH# 13238

About ten years ago I took a couple of folding key blanks to an old fashioned kiosk in the middle of a parking lot via my auto. Arrived home & they didn't work. A day or so later I returned with the R90 so as to show that there was a problem. The lady checked things, then filed here & there on the blank, trying it as she worked. She did a good job & both keys worked. Skill & a good attitude got the job done.

As to keys working in every lock on an old bike except the ignition, I suspect that it is due to the fact that the ignition key is most regularly used & mile after mile bumps & vibration with the key in the lock cause the parts to wear & be out of spec. The fewer keys on the fob the better for extending the life of the lock. Lubing with a proper (graphite) lube helps as well.