Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Texting Twit

We had a program at my school this week about distracted driving, specifically texting.

Linky

They showed a VERY graphic video (not entirely sure how they staged the in-car view of the wreck). Stunned silence from the student body.

Next each student took turns operating a car in the simulator while classmates watched. The simulator sends a text to an iPad every 30 seconds that the students are to respond to. Simulation ends when they commit a major offense. About half died, ? killed another motorist and ? ran into a stationary object.

Overall quite powerful. Course it doesn't hurt that I made it quite plain that it's a good thing that I'm not allowed to shoot motorists for texting while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    We had a program at my school this week about distracted driving, specifically texting.

Linky

They showed a VERY graphic video (not entirely sure how they staged the in-car view of the wreck). Stunned silence from the student body.

Next each student took turns operating a car in the simulator while classmates watched. The simulator sends a text to an iPad every 30 seconds that the students are to respond to. Simulation ends when they commit a major offense. About half died, ? killed another motorist and ? ran into a stationary object.

Overall quite powerful. Course it doesn't hurt that I made it quite plain that it's a good thing that I'm not allowed to shoot motorists for texting while driving.
    In my opinion, the problems with such programs is that they try to appeal to the danger imposed on OTHERS. Most texters (and many other offenders in other areas) only respond to SELF-preservation. These generally are people who haven't been brought up to respect OTHER's lives and usually also at times, don't even care about their own lives (mostly because they think that "it couldn't happen to them!").

These programs are OK, but the center of attention should be on our failure to teach the kids of each generation basic respect for others, and themselves, especially other's right to live.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmylee View Post
    In my opinion, the problems with such programs is that they try to appeal to the danger imposed on OTHERS. Most texters (and many other offenders in other areas) only respond to SELF-preservation. These generally are people who haven't been brought up to respect OTHER's lives and usually also at times, don't even care about their own lives (mostly because they think that "it couldn't happen to them!").

These programs are OK, but the center of attention should be on our failure to teach the kids of each generation basic respect for others, and themselves, especially other's right to live.
    Agree completely. However...

Unless we revoke their parents breeding retroactively we have to do the best we can given the material we have to work with. Trying to instill such perspectives only works one person to one person when the mind is open to it. One down, 6,999,999,999 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    Agree completely. However...

Unless we revoke their parents breeding retroactively we have to do the best we can given the material we have to work with. Trying to instill such perspectives only works one person to one person when the mind is open to it. One down, 6,999,999,999 to go.
    Schools and voting ??? I won't say any more due to site restrictions!