Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Texting Twit

I agree with the above statement. In fact there are a lot of drivers who shouldn't be allowed to operate an electric toothbrush unsupervised.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

i was asked if i tweet

my response,
    "no, but i fart a lot."
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    I agree with the above statement. In fact there are a lot of drivers who shouldn't be allowed to operate an electric toothbrush unsupervised.

I wish I thought all the distracted driving was a recent phenom. Twenty years ago, coming back to Illinois from New York on I-80, I was almost struck by a driver who was obviously reading a book propped on his steering wheel.
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Installed

Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449

i wonder if they have a model for bikes

ntxt
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Bike model

Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    When I think about who should drive, I look back to PE class & how there have always been some persons that cannot tie their shoe, so to speak. Not just who could climb a rope or do lots of this or that exercise but more importantly many do not have reaction times,decision making process where you want to be on the road with them. I'm 68 & recently renewed my KY licenses-money & a new photo is all it takes. Each state varies but how many really look at eyes & reaction times? It is a national sham how we decide who gets the privilege. Even the days when the professional truckers were all very proficient & safe are gone from my observation. No, it's not the end of my rant as I stay on this one constantly
    Oh, I just watched a woman in VA last night, with 2 small kids in her car, texting her way across an intersection & on down the road-tape her thumbs for 6 months of probation?

There is a fundamental problem with driver education most places in this country. It used to be that most high schools had a driver-ed teacher that taught driver's ed - some after school and some in the summer. Colleges had continuing education courses for such drivers-ed teachers. When I was in high school drivers-ed was a required course.

For a variety of reasons this is no longer the case. Colleges started dropping teacher training in the 70s. School districts cut the programs and funding. I have no idea how/where a young person learns to drive nowadays. Probably taught the same bad skill set their aggressive moms or dads have, or by a commercial school churning out test passers.

Casual observation of traffic most places leads me to conclude that however it is happening is not getting good results. Few people know how to pass. Parallel parking - what's that? Proper following distances - huh? Proper merge techniques - say what?

I could rant on but until as a society/culture we decide that actually driving safely is a skill folks out to be taught and have, we will continue to maim and kill folks needlessly. Texting is the current hot button. Cell phone jabbering was. All other forms of distraction too. But the bottom line is millions of folks in the U.S. don't know how to drive and wouldn't last many days trying to drive in much of Europe or Asia if they had to try.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Having been an instructor for many years, it was interesting to observe the aptitudes and hand-eye coordination of students. I quickly learned that high IQs did not produce good fliers. The best student I ever had was a guy who worked in a bar and would make a WWF wrestler look like a pussycat. The forces turned him away and he quit flying...their loss. You explained something to him, and he did it perfectly the first time and every time.

As for driving courses, I could never figure out why driver training, driver licenses, vehicle registration or what have you, are state or provincially controlled. In any European country, it is federally controlled...one standard within a country...not state to state.

You ought to see the student manual in Germany...352 pages of small print and lots of pics. Overhead pics and then mirror views of what the driver should expect to see. Needless to say, you won't get your driver's license over there out of a box of Cracker Jacks.

Drivers Education

My son took drivers training from a private instructor in Columbia, SC. The car used was a Firebird. The young man who taught my son was very good. Once my son got his license, we attended the Richard Petty Experience in Charlotte, NC. It was money well spent and my son actually learned how to handle a vehicle.

There are many things that schools cannot afford in their budget these days. Some parents place a priority on filling those gaps.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    There are many things that schools cannot afford in their budget these days.
    What do you mean by budget? Drivers ed costs to the student?

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    A local school is in its 2nd year of a mandatory seminar on distracted driving, if the student wants to drive anywhere on school property.

It includes statistics, but the biggest thing is it includes a former graduate, who is now a Quadriplegic, after a distracted driver caused an accident he was involved in.

It is not as good as Drivers Ed, but it is a start.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    ... I have no idea how/where a young person learns to drive nowadays. Probably taught the same bad skill set their aggressive moms or dads have, or by a commercial school churning out test passers. ...
    We sent both our kids to an Institute for Driver's Safety class. I don't know if it's a local thing or national or what. It's a lot like the MSF BRC. There's several hours of class time followed by an exam. Then they do two 4 to 5 hour one-on-one in-car training sessions out in the real world. The driving instructors are mostly cops, some retired, some active. They took the kids thru all kinds of traffic situations, freeway, surface streets, rush hour, etc. If they pass (and not all do) they get a certificate to take to the MVD to get their license. They also get an insurance discount, at least ours did. I thought it was a great way for them to learn. It's been 10 years now for the older kid and six for the younger and no tickets or wrecks for either. IIRC it cost about $300 but well worth it.
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558