Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Texting Twit

Morning Person
    To top this BS off, there is actually a "national texting competition", where young "texters" face off to see who can send the most texts in a specified time! One of the top contestests said he trained by sending 500 texts a day.

I was moved to opine this country's headed into the toilet, but I think it's too late.

Registered User RapidRoadRescue's Avatar
    Indian Creek, IL 60061 (AKA Vernon Hills, IL)
    My GS

My work truck

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot. Now, the guy who invented the second wheel... he was the genius.
    www.motorcycleworkshop.net
    www.rapidroadrescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
    I can tell you when this s%$& MIGHT end. As soon as Plaintiff attorneys start AUTOMATICALLY subpoenaing telephone records after an accident, and prove that the a-hole causing the wreck was talking at the moment of collision, and this is presented to a judge/jury . . . things MIGHT change. Of course, by the time this happens, everybody on the damn jury will be secretly texting as they sit in the jury box, thus presenting yet another problem. . .

Also, I'll say it again: THIS "GOTTA BE IN TOUCH WITH EVERYBODY, ALL THE TIME" IS AN ADDICTION, AND IT'S NOT LIMITED TO CAGERS. I'm aghast at how the new cars are being advertised with MORE and MORE stuff to look at on the larger and larger display screens on the dash. . .WTF???? How's about looking out the windshield for the little kid on his bicycle???

Something about all these-here electronics ain't natural.

Serenity now. Serenity now. Serenity now.

Rant off.

Walking Eagle
    I only wanted to quote the first two sentences, which I think are important. The fact that I couldn't probably tells you that I neither text(?) nor use my cell phone unless I am parked.

In most jurisdictions, if you are legally drunk and involved in a crash, there is about a 99% certainty that you will be found guilty of causing the crash unless the driver of the vehicle you struck is also legally drunk. I expect that it then gets legally complicated.

Since it is well recognized that using ANY form of a cell phone useage is equivalent to driving with a BAC of .08, your idea of subpoenaing cell phone records of drivers involved in collisions is excellent. Can they tell by the records if the person was texting rather than calling at a certain time? The penalties should be greater for texting because of the greater distraction.

Enforcement and greater penalties have certainly reduced the number of drunk drivers on the road. More complicated for cell phone users (at present - who knows what the cops will be access instantly in the future from their cruiser computer.) Charging cell phone users involved in any crash is a good first step.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Police vehicles

I was almost hit by a city police officer. He was doing something on his laptop. When will it end?
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

While our ranting is really only preaching to the choir, perhaps someone lurking may get a better idea of the dangers.
    From our friends at Twisted Throttle....these t-shirts were prizes at an open house...here is the back..

and the front..
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I saw a young bicyclist texting while riding. At least he was on the sidewalk and not the road.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

This past few days in KY Lexington Herald Leader was one of those brief state news side page items of motorcyclist hit by PU truck which had turned in front of the bike thus killing the as stated, helmet wearing biker.
    It stated that the driver (as stated was wearing a seat belt) had not been charged thus my question is: these are common occurrences but do they ever result in the cage getting any penalty beyond a simple fine? It seems it might be more significant to say if the driver was eating,texting,all of the above or whatever instead of the usual dribble but then it isn't in court yet huh? Lots of parents losing their kids to this texting ,sad!
    I found the earlier comments ,r.e., pilot training as more rigorous,etc.interesting(even though common personal knowledge to me); when we get serious about saving lives on the road maybe , just maybe we will start to actually train drivers to drive & ride.
    I'll add my usual statement on this topic, that my local regional university stopped providing driver education teacher training in 1975! This is a national issue folks & I keep hoping somebody will have the political courage to tackle the problem with something more than the recent spate of texting laws.
    I'd have put a link if not lazy & techno incompetent! end of rant...

Morning Person
    Quote Originally Posted by walterK75 View Post
    I saw a young bicyclist texting while riding. At least he was on the sidewalk and not the road.
    That happens all the time around here...I mean ALL the time. I also have had to dodge pedestrians who are texting.

I'm always curious...what in the world are they saying in their texts? "Hi...I'm walking now. Hi...now I've stopped. Hi...I see a cute dog. Byeeeeeee!!!!"

Finally...I still think that video of the driver's test that required the driver to be able to drive a course while texting and not hit anything was terrific. I know it wasn't reality, but it should be! That video needs to go viral, somehow....how do you do that?
    Last edited by flyrider; 08-19-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    I'm always curious...what in the world are they saying in their texts?
    If it is anything like cell phone conversations, absolutely nothing of substance!

Back in the day of analog cell phone transmissions, my HAM radio would pick up those conversations. Trust me, they were very shallow conversations to the point of

Saw a young girl the other day. She was skate boarding on the road in the dark and texting.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by martinPH View Post
    Saw a young girl the other day. She was skate boarding on the road in the dark and texting.
    Probably not likely to become a young woman. Wonder if her folks know? Or is she just modelling what her parents do in the car?
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    ................I called the KY State Police & was told by the dispatcher that if "they" didn't see it , it didn't happen. So much for being responsible citizens... Is that "how it works" elsewhere?
    You call and say they are weaving all over the road, almost caused a couple accidents. They are acting like they might be DRUNK or on DRUGS. Give description and plate # if possible.

The cops WILL respond, if you say you saw them texting the response will be similar to what you got.

I do agree that phone records should be subpoenaed in any accident, just as breathalyzer is administered, and penalties as severe. It will be news when the first person gets sent to prison for 5 years, from texting and causing an injury or death.

The lady in my incident was grey haired & likely 60+ yrs old & was seen to be crossing into the oncoming lane a number of times, all of which occurred PRIOR! to texting era & I had plenty of time to observe her behavior & to write down the plate#. You did read correctly that the dispatcher even knew me personally? You got the short version & then decided what should have been done to get a proper reaction from the cops, sorry your second guessing here, they're the ones at fault.
    I ran this & a few other incidents by my next door neighbor-sort of we're rural- when he was a fresh graduate to the KY state police & he could not believe my call was ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    when we get serious about saving lives on the road maybe , just maybe we will start to actually train drivers to drive & ride.
    I'll add my usual statement on this topic, that my local regional university stopped providing driver education teacher training in 1975! This is a national issue folks & I keep hoping somebody will have the political courage to tackle the problem with something more than the recent spate of texting laws...
    So where are we going to get all of our urban taxi drivers if we start requiring actual skill and knowledge in order to operate a cage?

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    So where are we going to get all of our urban taxi drivers if we start requiring actual skill and knowledge in order to operate a cage?
    Coincidence as I just thought about that this morning while on my drive to work.

Where does it say 100% or 98% or X% of the population should be able to drive a car. If that same percentage of people could be an airline pilot, I'd be walking.

IMO, many drivers should not be able to own and operate a vehicle.