Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Texting Twit

Quote Originally Posted by moondog View Post
    I hope you're not serious...?
    No I'm not serious.

Rob Ford sticks his foot in his mouth almost every day, he's chased reporters off adjacent property, called 911 on Marg Delahunty, and publicly announced he'd never heard of one of Canada's most famous authors during a dust-up about closing public libraries.

The guy is a total ass who got voted into office by accidently splitting the vote between the 2 real candidates.

I suspect people are following him around the way they did to Britney Spears et al.

Hopefully, he'll punch a cop when he gets a ticket for texting while driving and we can move on. Nothing is too surprising.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I called the KY State Police & was told by the dispatcher that if "they" didn't see it , it didn't happen. So much for being responsible citizens... Is that "how it works" elsewhere?
    Good for you for taking the time to report it. Your frustration is certainly understandable but yes I believe that is how law enforcement works everywhere and if you think about it I'm pretty certain that's the way you and the rest of us want it to work. Your call to the state police should be as a heads up to them. Try to recall as much as you can about the time, the place, and the vehicle. Hey, you never know.
    Last edited by rickyD; 08-16-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: clarity
    Rick

'06 BMW R1200RT
    '74 Moto-Guzzi 850-T

A friend of mine was once sideswiped by a motorist who admitted out loud that it her fault in the presence of the responding police officer. I wtnessed this first hand as the accident happened a block from my place of employment. I told the officer he shoulf ticket her for failing to yield the right of way. He said he couln'd because he didn't see it. It didn't matter that she was professing her guilt! My buddy walked away unhurt and the bike only had a few scratches.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Polar Opposite
    A guy passed me this Spring on a Victory bike that had cruise control. He was doing 80 while texting on his bike. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by windypoint View Post
    A guy passed me this Spring on a Victory bike that had cruise control. He was doing 80 while texting on his bike. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
    Morons are not limited to driving four wheelers, or 18 wheelers. They are among us too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Moondog
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
    No I'm not serious.

Rob Ford sticks his foot in his mouth almost every day, he's chased reporters off adjacent property, called 911 on Marg Delahunty, and publicly announced he'd never heard of one of Canada's most famous authors during a dust-up about closing public libraries.

The guy is a total ass who got voted into office by accidently splitting the vote between the 2 real candidates.

I suspect people are following him around the way they did to Britney Spears et al.

Hopefully, he'll punch a cop when he gets a ticket for texting while driving and we can move on. Nothing is too surprising.
    ok, this site needs a sarcasm smilies....

Nickname: Droid
    I have seen the video of the idiot in India texting while riding his motorcycle. What is disturbing, aside that he is proving he is barely treading water in the deep end of the gene pool, is the number of responses to the video claiming, "way to go dude!", "Awesome skills man!" and numerous other similar idiotic responses.

Sad, unnerving. Worse to know that other idiots are really dumb enough to combine a highly mental exercise of riding a motorcycle with cell phone use. I still do not understand/condone the use of bluetooth technology in cycle helmets to give the rider "hands free" capability when riding.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyD View Post
    Good for you for taking the time to report it. Your frustration is certainly understandable but yes I believe that is how law enforcement works everywhere and if you think about it I'm pretty certain that's the way you and the rest of us want it to work. Your call to the state police should be as a heads up to them. Try to recall as much as you can about the time, the place, and the vehicle. Hey, you never know.
    One wonders at what level LEO's take interest. I recall the 2 snipers of a few yrs back(the young guy & the older guy) & how an observant truck driver brought them to the law. I also remember having heard the reporter/CNN, Wolf Blitzer saying the report was "circumspect"(my words) as it was coming from a "truck driver" as if questionable in quality of information.
    As to my call in mentioned it might be worth noting that the dispatcher that took my call was a guy I knew & we were both Army NG members of the same unit, so I had some credibility going on with this guy as I was in a position of authority in that unit . Obviously doesn't always matter "who" you are.

Not holding my breath, but. . .

I can tell you when this s%$& MIGHT end. As soon as Plaintiff attorneys start AUTOMATICALLY subpoenaing telephone records after an accident, and prove that the a-hole causing the wreck was talking at the moment of collision, and this is presented to a judge/jury . . . things MIGHT change. Of course, by the time this happens, everybody on the damn jury will be secretly texting as they sit in the jury box, thus presenting yet another problem. . .

Also, I'll say it again: THIS "GOTTA BE IN TOUCH WITH EVERYBODY, ALL THE TIME" IS AN ADDICTION, AND IT'S NOT LIMITED TO CAGERS. I'm aghast at how the new cars are being advertised with MORE and MORE stuff to look at on the larger and larger display screens on the dash. . .WTF???? How's about looking out the windshield for the little kid on his bicycle???

Something about all these-here electronics ain't natural.

Serenity now. Serenity now. Serenity now.

Rant off.

Walking Eagle

Morning Person
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
    I can tell you when this s%$& MIGHT end. As soon as Plaintiff attorneys start AUTOMATICALLY subpoenaing telephone records after an accident, and prove that the a-hole causing the wreck was talking at the moment of collision, and this is presented to a judge/jury . . . things MIGHT change. Of course, by the time this happens, everybody on the damn jury will be secretly texting as they sit in the jury box, thus presenting yet another problem. . .

Also, I'll say it again: THIS "GOTTA BE IN TOUCH WITH EVERYBODY, ALL THE TIME" IS AN ADDICTION, AND IT'S NOT LIMITED TO CAGERS. I'm aghast at how the new cars are being advertised with MORE and MORE stuff to look at on the larger and larger display screens on the dash. . .WTF???? How's about looking out the windshield for the little kid on his bicycle???

Something about all these-here electronics ain't natural.

Serenity now. Serenity now. Serenity now.

Rant off.

Walking Eagle
    Funny you should mention all the gadgets now loaded into cars. They did the same thing to single-engine aircraft. From analog gauges they went digital, to multifunction displays with all the info on them, including moving maps, engine information, altitude, airspeed, etc. information...weather data, collision avoidance information, etc. One day I was flying north to a mountain town, and heard another aircraft on the radio...an aircraft/owner I knew, and who had all the latest gadgets. I asked him for detail on his position, because his transmission indicated he was in my vicinity. He said "I'm just west of you." I looked west...nothing. I looked east...there he was. He had his head so far in the cockpit that he had no situational awareness. Another time I heard him on the radio and asked where he was. He replied, "I don't know, let me look at the moving map." "I don't know...?" What the...?

Car drivers have about 1/100 of the skill set of a pilot, so they are likely even worse, if they have in-car distractions.

Insane...

Read the new car reviews now days. Nobody talks about "the vehicle" it's all about the add on, techno stuff that has zero contribution to the go & stop functions & many here are equally intrigued by the same sort of stuff on a bike. Which means this discussion is going to step on some toes no doubt.
    The airhead crowd is probably the least likely to lean that direction, or at least some of them. Some things real modern interest me, esp., if they make my life more comfortable or help me to live longer! Texting is not anywhere in that realm for this "geezer". Call me or email if you need to talk. My/our "letters" from during our courtship are in a box-whats there for posterity for the here & now generation?

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    maybe all driver training programs should have a session on 'moving around the cones' while a) really talking to someone on the phone and b) really texting to someone on the phone (obviously in a very controlled environment). AND THEN... have another trainer throw out some dummies, or like objects, into their path. Obviously many young drivers have not figured out the connection, or lack of brain connection, between phone/texting and diminished capacity while driving. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Read the new car reviews now days. Nobody talks about "the vehicle" it's all about the add on, techno stuff
    I worry about some techno-gizmo's too. As a computer geek/nerd I love 'm, but I see lots of problems coming from them. I have a Volvo beside my BMW R850RT and the newer models featur stuff like dynamic cruise control and a lane departure warning system. It even has a blind spot sensor, which is kind of good for us on the bike. But the lane departure system and dynamic cruise control (where the car automatically adjusts the speed in order to keep a preset distance to the car in front) is asking for trouble. Drivers can now text as much as they want. The car will warn them if it seems to go wrong. It even has automatic emergency braking...

I see the advantages of these systems as an aid, but even without these systems, people do things like reading, texting, and what have you while driving. These systems invite people to do other things beside driving.
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    key word, from social psychology experiments, is "proximity". New four wheel vehicles (and maybe some tricked out two wheel vehicles) have evolved to greatly expand the proximity gap between action and consequences for action. This gap is the killing field I suppose. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    God help us...our race is doomed.
    Well she might be...doomed

I've already been a bit more than just inconvenienced for life by a cell phone yapping inbred. The GS Adventure ended up in motorcycle heaven.

These people don't realized that the person they affect may not be very forgiving and won't accept a simple "I'm sorry". I did the first time; I won't the next time.

Its time to have the LEOs automatically check the cell phone records of anyone involved in a traffic accident.