Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Texting Twit

Morning Person

Texting Twit

Last night, coming home from a concert by a well-known guitarist, we're following this car (we're in our car) that's weaving from lane to lane. Get to stoplight...it's a young woman with her arms through the steering wheel, holding a smartphone (oxymoron alert), and texting. Light turns green...she drives this way...texting...no hands on the wheel. Weaves into right lane, back to center lane, weaves into left lane. We're behind her. I flash my lights to wake her the #@*&! up, and she momentarily gets stable and slows to the speed limit. When she realizes I'm not a cop....zoom!...off she goes, and resumes weaving.

God help us...our race is doomed.

This is one time I would approve the use of a cell phone in a car: dial 911 and turn her in for reckless driving.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Rally Rat
    On Sunday afternoon I rode an hour north to visit some friends. Coming back I hopped on I-29 the last 30-miles -- I had stayed a bit long and was running late for a family gathering. As I pulled into town a large SUV pulls next to me in the passing lane. A National Guard soldier (still in his fatigues) is holding out his "smartphone" in his right hand at arms length, in his left hand is a lit cigarette. Yee Gads! Doesn't he know that smoking can slow down your ability to text?!?!?

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    God help us...our race is doomed.
    I agree.

Yesterday the mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford, was photographed reading a paper as traffic was travelling at 100-120 km/hr. When asked about it he replied that it didn't affect his driving. This is the same mayor who recently passed a street car with its doors open taking on and letting off passengers. He has been photographed talking on his cell while driving in the city. Some leadership!!!!

The Toronto Police have asked him to hire a driver.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Just to ad interest to this thread(as this has become "regular" behavior now days) I'll say that we followed a lady to work some years back, for many miles of erratic 2 lane driving all over both lanes and I even tailed her into her workplace to pin that down as well . I called the KY State Police & was told by the dispatcher that if "they" didn't see it , it didn't happen. So much for being responsible citizens... Is that "how it works" elsewhere?

Apparently human lives are cheap when one gets behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Morning Person
    Where is the outrage? Seriously...this is such patently reckless and moronic behavior that one would expect the "public" to demand action. But "the public" is more likely to be moved to act if their favorite reality show gets cancelled.

I try not to let things get to me, but watching someone recklessly disregard the lives of others is something that's hard to let go without remarking on it. There was a young kid killed a couple of weeks ago here...riding his bike, and hit by a woman in an SUV - guess what?...texting. And they call it "inattentive driving". She gets a fine...maybe...the kid gets no more life.

Makes me want to move to a desert island, but there's a #*&@! resort with WIFI there now.

How about the pilot in Canada that ran his Cesna into the ground while texting, he had been on his cell phone one half hour during his FINAL flight. Self correcting problem for him.
    Knick
    F800GS
    WR250R
    Vespa ET4

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    The answer?
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I agree.

Yesterday the mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford, was photographed reading a paper as traffic was travelling at 100-120 km/hr. When asked about it he replied that it didn't affect his driving. This is the same mayor who recently passed a street car with its doors open taking on and letting off passengers. He has been photographed talking on his cell while driving in the city. Some leadership!!!!

The Toronto Police have asked him to hire a driver.
    It's really sad that you would hang Robert Ford on these few minor infractions.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Moondog
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
    It's really sad that you would hang Robert Ford on these few minor infractions.
    I hope you're not serious...?

Morning Person
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Philippens View Post
    The answer?
    This should go viral!

Angry

Back in 1982, I'm in Los Angeles on my Honda 750A riding down the 101. For those of you who may not know, this road is I believe four lanes each way and in some places it might be six. At least in my mind there were six lanes. Heres comes a fellow in a jaguar in the lane to the right of me. He is driving, holding a dinner plate of pancakes and eating them WITH a fork! He zips right past me.

A few miles more down the road, I pass him - he has slowed down due to something interfering with his ability to drive at a speed consistant with others on the highway. What is it? He is shaving with an electric razor and is looking at himself in the mirror as he shaves. Pancakes and plate are no longer anywhere to be seen. I remember thinking if he would next be brushing his teeth.

Now this is in 1982. No cell phones, ipads, or any other electronic communication equipment we seem to think is necessary to use while driving these days.

Distracted drivers have been around for a long time. There are just more of the morons now.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    Where is the outrage? Seriously...this is such patently reckless and moronic behavior that one would expect the "public" to demand action. But "the public" is more likely to be moved to act if their favorite reality show gets cancelled.

I try not to let things get to me, but watching someone recklessly disregard the lives of others is something that's hard to let go without remarking on it. There was a young kid killed a couple of weeks ago here...riding his bike, and hit by a woman in an SUV - guess what?...texting. And they call it "inattentive driving". She gets a fine...maybe...the kid gets no more life.

Makes me want to move to a desert island, but there's a #*&@! resort with WIFI there now.
    In British Columbia, Canada, if you're caught with a cell phone, or iPod or any device your hands while driving it's an immediate fine. Fines are not cheap in British Columbia I picked up a nice little $191 speeding ticket the other day (in my car not my bike).
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyatheart View Post
    (in my car not my bike).
    Well....you can text on the bike as this Indian guy is demonstrating:

-=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-