Thread: New Member in KC

Question New Member in KC

Hi everybody. I have been an urban scooter guy for the last six years (Vespa 250GTS) and have longed for the open road and farther destinations for the last couple of years. So after doing my homework I ordered a new R1200RT (without actually having ridden one) which is in transit right now. I'm told it should be here in about a month or so. The wait is killing me. I am taking a safety class in a couple of weeks and am beefing up my riding apparel. I have to say I am a bit worried about the jump up from 250 to 1170cc. Should I be?

Well...seriously, yes, it's going to be a jump. Not just the size of the bike, but the whole clutch/throttle interaction could be new to you if youve been used to the CVR transmission that's in most scooters. So....practice, practice practice at that safety class. Better to drop their bike a couple of times than yours.

The KC Club is mentioned in the thread started by SweetLouDiamond in this section of the
    New Members...you might consider making some contacts there who could help you.

Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Quote Originally Posted by dtrott View Post
    Hi everybody. I have been an urban scooter guy for the last six years (Vespa 250GTS) and have longed for the open road and farther destinations for the last couple of years. So after doing my homework I ordered a new R1200RT (without actually having ridden one) which is in transit right now. I'm told it should be here in about a month or so. The wait is killing me. I am taking a safety class in a couple of weeks and am beefing up my riding apparel. I have to say I am a bit worried about the jump up from 250 to 1170cc. Should I be?
    It is really bizarre to have to wait on a 2012, when the 2013's will be out soon. I was at Engle last week and was told they are still witing on 3 2012's for delivery. Seems like BMW would want to meet the demand more efficiently. Anyway, the RT is worth the wait, and maybe makes the resale a bit easier. Definately an aquired taste. I love my 2005!
    Welcome to BMW, dtrott
    Pat

Welcome. Was on SW Trafficway a month ago waiting for the light at Mill Street. Saw the window of the Mustang beside me rolling down. Driver said "Nice bike!" of my 10 year old R1150RT. Get ready.

Welcome here... and look up the Kansas City Club, which is one of the best in the country.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.