Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is a Beemer???

What is a Beemer???

Excuse me for perhaps being behind the times but just how do you derive with the word Beemer in referring to a BMW Motorcycle , and further with the automotive group calling a BMW automobile a Beamer.

I once stood at a parts counter when another customer asked the parts guy for something for a Vette. The parts guy made like he was looking in the catalog and them announced "we don't have any listing for a Vette". Everyone standing there knew the dude meant Corvette, but he had this slang term embedded in his head.

Which again I ask where does Beemer come form????????????
    Gene T

Long Range Rifleman
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Excuse me for perhaps being behind the times but just how do you derive with the word Beemer in referring to a BMW Motorcycle , and further with the automotive group calling a BMW automobile a Beamer.

I once stood at a parts counter when another customer asked the parts guy for something for a Vette. The parts guy made like he was looking in the catalog and them announced "we don't have any listing for a Vette". Everyone standing there knew the dude meant Corvette, but he had this slang term embedded in his head.

Which again I ask where does Beemer come form????????????
    Really???

Just as BSAs used to be called Beezers, BMWs are called Beemers. B - M -er. That pesky double U at the end has too many syllables.

But BMW automobiles are Bimmers, not Beemers. I don't have an explanation for that.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Long Range Rifleman
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    But BMW automobiles are Bimmers, not Beemers. I don't have an explanation for that.
    Yuppie slurring of the word...usually caused by ingesting too much cocaine.

From the car club website:

http://www.bmwccbc.org/misc/tech-and-trivia/bimmer.html

My guess is that when the car guys came around they felt they couldn't use beemer so ended up with bimmer as the closest alternative.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Muffy and Biff drive a Bimmer, they wouldn't have anything that uses that crass hard "E" pronunciation........
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

yuppie beemer

A yuppie was opening the door of his BMW when a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely. When the police arrived at the scene, the yuppie complained bitterly about the damage to his car.

"Officer, look what they've done to my Beemer!"

"You yuppies are so materialistic, it's ridiculous" retorted the officer. "You're so worried about your stupid BMW, you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off."

"Oh, my God!" screamed the yuppie, noticing the bloody stump where his arm used to be. "My Rolex!"
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Long Range Rifleman
    Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    A yuppie was opening the door of his BMW when a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely. When the police arrived at the scene, the yuppie complained bitterly about the damage to his car.

"Officer, look what they've done to my Beemer!"

"You yuppies are so materialistic, it's ridiculous" retorted the officer. "You're so worried about your stupid BMW, you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off."

"Oh, my God!" screamed the yuppie, noticing the bloody stump where his arm used to be. "My Rolex!"

Proud to be a BMW (Beemer) snob.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

I think the snob myth (and it is a myth) centers around cost. BMWs are pricey, and you immediately assume things about someone who can afford one. Just like a guy who drives up in a Ferrari. You have certain opinions about him that might not be correct.

Ah, hold on, I have to go, my manservant is acting up again. Be right back....
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Seems simple to me

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    I think the snob myth (and it is a myth) centers around cost. BMWs are pricey, and you immediately assume things about someone who can afford one. Just like a guy who drives up in a Ferrari. You have certain opinions about him that might not be correct.

See my .sig
    Two Bimmers and two Beemers. All purchased used for, what I thought, the best bang for the buck. I believe they're the ultimate driving machines, and since I have to drive ... why not enjoy it?

Just my $0.02,
    Jer (empty nester and can finally indulge myself)
    Jerry Palma
    99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 4); 85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'; 04 525i Orient Blue metallic; 09 328i Silver Convertable
    I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

yeah, I get it Jerry. But you have two cars and two bikes (all BMWs). People who can barely afford a car are going to make assumptions about you having 4 vehicles, nice ones. I'm not saying it is correct, but they'll make assumptions.

Just the insurance on those 4 vehicles is a lot more than many can afford.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Snob myth maybe, but the yuppie a**hole in the Bimmer is not a myth.

If someone comes storming from behind me on the freeway, flashing their lights because they *need* me to get out of their way (even though I am passing and already doing at least 10 over), it is almost always a BMW driver.

if not, then it's a Nissan Altima....

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.

We took a couple of Harley fans to BMW dealership a few weeks ago and one had a simple response when we prepared to leave. He said "I thought BMWs cost more than Harleys but they don't". He had paid more for his Harley than the most expensive BMW in the dealership.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    We took a couple of Harley fans to BMW dealership a few weeks ago and one had a simple response when we prepared to leave. He said "I thought BMWs cost more than Harleys but they don't". He had paid more for his Harley than the most expensive BMW in the dealership.
    Oh yes, that is a great point. HD is pricey, every bit as much as BMW. But people THINK BMW is more expensive.

And both HD and BMW are much more expensive than the Japanese bikes. The S1000RR was priced closely, but that's an exception.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350