Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW Warning on water brand being used

BMW Warning on water brand being used

Wouldn't it be something if the new water-cooled GS didn't function as designed because we will be putting American water in its radiator? I know BMW blames our fuel for many driveability problems and other bike functions like fuel strips. I can hear it now when a dealer says, "Sorry Mr. Customer, but the factory (BMW) says your R12XXGS is overheating due to the use of USA water in the radiator. However, I have some BMW brand water available....just $37.28 a quart!" DON'T LAUGH JUST YET.
    MOA #46783
    2014 R1200RT

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    .........I know BMW blames our fuel for many driveability problems and other bike functions like fuel strips. ...............
    They are probably correct on this, ethanol is nasty stuff and should not be in motor fuel. It destroys plastics and metals alike.

Corn should be used for whiskey and breakfast cereal not corrosive fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by smartin108 View Post
    Corn should be used for whiskey and breakfast cereal not corrosive fuel.
    "Corn!? I don't remember eating any corn!"
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

As a drag racer I must disagree about the use of ethanol as a motor fuel, as long as the system is built for it, it is a very powerful cool running fuel. It should not be blended at 5 to 15% in our regular gas though as many cars and bikes can't tolerate it. Some of the fastest street legal drag cars in the U.S. are built and tuned to run on E-85 and some of these cars are in the 2,000 to 2,500 hp range (that's NOT a typo).
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

... and yes, when the bike overheats because the plastic water pump impeller was eroded away from the use of a nonaproved coolant, the warranty will be declined. Phosphates, silicates, borates and nitrites & 2-EHA will be the new ZDDP, except that we may want less of them instead of more.

read the second post to see how much fun we can have with this
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=71985

or already in the Kbike world
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16307

or read the OAT & HOAT sections here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze_%28coolant%29

http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/antifreeze_coolant.htm

Cool

Wouldn't it be something if the new water-cooled GS didn't function as designed because we will be putting American water in its radiator? I know BMW blames our fuel for many driveability problems and other bike functions like fuel strips. I can hear it now when a dealer says, "Sorry Mr. Customer, but the factory (BMW) says your R12XXGS is overheating due to the use of USA water in the radiator. However, I have some BMW brand water available....just $37.28 a quart!" DON'T LAUGH JUST YET.
    NOT laughing.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Geez, you boxer types act like water cooling is something new and amazing. BMWs have been coming in water cooled varieties for decades. We've got three of them in our garage.

No need to panic on the water type used. Just make sure you use the right coolant and good distilled or RO water. Even european bottled water would be a no-no as it contains undesirable minerals just the same as North American tap water.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Yep, distilled water (pure H20) is the same all over the universe. And that is the only thing that should go in a radiator along with the proper coolant. Of course which coolant will become its own online battleground.

Great, now we have a water thread to go with the oil threads!
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

American Fuel & Water

Folks,

To clarify on misconception, the issue with American fuel is not so much ethanol content but high sulfur and other contaminants. Based on my own random sampling, I find American water to be superior to European-sourced fluid. Maybe we can trade?

Kent

Fairly sure BMW sells premixed water/anti freeze already. I used some when I had my 1985 K100. And yes, there were warnings about which anti-freezes were compatible with the K100's all aluminum radiators since cars were still mostly copper/brass/whatever radiators.

For what it's worth, I had the K100 for more than 22 years and never had any issues with the water cooling.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    Fairly sure BMW sells premixed water/anti freeze already. I used some when I had my 1985 K100. And yes, there were warnings about which anti-freezes were compatible with the K100's all aluminum radiators since cars were still mostly copper/brass/whatever radiators.

For what it's worth, I had the K100 for more than 22 years and never had any issues with the water cooling.
    aargh! Pink or Green?!? pink or green?!? pink or green?!?

Laugh?!? Once the specifications are published, as are the specs for oil, brake fluid etc are published it sounds like an opportunity for a cleaver entrepreneur to make an alternative within the specs and laugh all the way to the bank.

In any color the customer wants
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Just a little side note:
    There is a difference between "purified" water and Distilled water - the purified can still have minerals in it. Keep with the distilled for your coolant, and purified for drinking.

I want it to match my paint job. Or at least, chartreuse and vermilion with mauve and taupe accents.

When I get my Wasser Boxer, I'm going to put Rocky Mountain spring water in it: should be good for 1 or 2% more power.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."