Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Passport - renew early.. or pay though the nose

10years;

USA Passport is a 10 year expire, just looking at mine. I have yet to use it, no stamps at all in 5 years now. Canada, here I come soon. My GSA needs a trip North. I still find it HARD to believe we need one to travel into Canada and back to USA! I find that a tad sick'ning, but I'm old school. I don't mind the good checkpoints in and out of our N.Border, but a Passport? We've lost something. Randy

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    USA Passport is a 10 year expire, just looking at mine. I have yet to use it, no stamps at all in 5 years now. Canada, here I come soon. My GSA needs a trip North. I still find it HARD to believe we need one to travel into Canada and back to USA! I find that a tad sick'ning, but I'm old school. I don't mind the good checkpoints in and out of our N.Border, but a Passport? We've lost something. Randy
    Randy, as an American, you do not need a passport (but other proper ID) to get into Canada, but you do need one to get back into the U.S. At West Bend in '07, I had breakfast with a gentleman from Connecticut who took a short cut from Niagara Falls to Port Huron Michigan, travelling through S.W. Ontario. The American customers' officer gave him a real hassle and took up a lot of his time, telling him that he had no right getting back into the U.S.A. because of a passport left at home. For quite a while, it did not appear as if he was going to get back in. You are so right, we have lost something. American drones now fly over our shared 49th border.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Paul,

I was told (and I believe its on some Canadian government websites) that the a passport is now required to gain access to Canada for US citizens. Something along the line of even-Steven.. (if we required the Canadians to have one, they're going to require us to have one.) I believe this policy went into effect about 3-4 years ago.

But - everyone is right - we've for sure lost something valuable.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Paul's right according to the Canadian Border Agency website: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-...ss-eng.html#s1

US Citizens need proof but a passport is not required == sure makes it a lot easier though.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Randy, as an American, you do not need a passport (but other proper ID) to get into Canada, but you do need one to get back into the U.S. At West Bend in '07, I had breakfast with a gentleman from Connecticut who took a short cut from Niagara Falls to Port Huron Michigan, travelling through S.W. Ontario. The American customers' officer gave him a real hassle and took up a lot of his time, telling him that he had no right getting back into the U.S.A. because of a passport left at home. For quite a while, it did not appear as if he was going to get back in. You are so right, we have lost something. American drones now fly over our shared 49th border.
    A few years ago I was on a campout just north of the border with other Canadian riders from our local BMW club. Plans changed from a day ride on the Canadian side to crossing over into Washington for some great roads in the northern part of eastern Washington. I hadn't taken my passport. So I left before everyone else, parked the bike on the Canadian side of the line, and walked to the US customs post. Told the guy my situation and also told him I had dual citizenship, US and Canada. (This was true, but I didn't carry any proof that it was true.)

"Well, if you are a US citizen, I can't keep you out." Though I'm sure he could have without documentation. Then all ten bikes were VERY thoroughly searched. I blamed myself for this delay until we learned that 1) this very small border crossing had been used extensively for drug importation - marijuana cookies baked in the closest town, and 2) it was a training post for rookie border guards. When asked if I had any "edged weapons," I thought a bit and said I did have a hatchet for pounding in tent stakes. They didn't confiscate it.

Re-entering Canada was a piece of cake. The border guard waved us all forward. "How long have you been in the US?" "About four hours." "Have a nice trip."

I think the moral of all these stories is that while on occasion you will encounter smart border guards, quite often you will encounter really dumb border guards, and you had best be prepared for the latter with a passport and the humble attitude you should assume if stopped for speeding.

I wonder if the perpetrators of 911 in their wildest dreams had any idea what it would cost their enemy (us) both in dollars and loss of freedoms we used to take for granted.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS