Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AMA Posts Ethanol Alert!

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    So, there's a wall at IA-WI border to prevent the ethanol trucks from crossing the border and the WI militia is conducting raids on the IA corn fields to prevent the corn production? How many IA federal and state legislators have been arrested and jailed in WI? Isn't there some corn production in southern WI? What do those congressmen vote for?
    Not at all certain what you're trying to say here? It doesn't seem to mean much in relation to the post you quoted.

I think what Andy was saying is that WI does not have an ethanol mandate, unlike IA and MN. In short, we DO NOT HAVE THE OPTION to buy NON ETHANOL GAS because of political shenanigans and excessive lobbying.

Nickname: Droid
    Oh there is corn here a-plenty in Wisconsin! And from what I hear from co-workers in Iowa, the corn down there has really been hit hard by the drought. But the Wisconsin corn crop in the northern 3/4 of the state has now rebounded well with the recent abundant rains.

Well, based on the fact that non-E10 gas is readily available at Shell, Mobil, Kwik-Trip, Marathon, Fleet-Farm and numerous other gas stations around the state, I guess then we must not have a mandate on E10 fuel. Most often non-E10 is sold as "Premium" fuel or even recreational fuel. Though I give Fleet-Farm credit, and my fuel purchasing dollars, because they sell a mid-grade fuel (89 octane) that I buy for my 2001 Dakota pickup. And I have documented the mileage enough times over to know for certain I get better gas mileage without E10 in the tank.

Maybe the Wisconsin state government is a bit more enlightened than I give them credit for. Knowing that, I am going to watch this whole E10/E15 issue even more closely to make sure no dumb-a** mandate gets forced on the populace who don't want the crap to begin with!

But all it takes is some lobbying, to get more subsidies, so the E10 providers can lower the E10 price below that of regular gas, and the greater unknowing populace will buy it like lemmings heading to the cliff. Cheaper must be better right?
    Last edited by ANDYVH; 08-09-2012 at 03:10 AM.

Snowy
    try this web site www.pure-gas.org, for your local area, seems to be fairly accurate in my area, you can also add stations if you come across one in your travels.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    Not at all certain what you're trying to say here? It doesn't seem to mean much in relation to the post you quoted.

I think what Andy was saying is that WI does not have an ethanol mandate, unlike IA and MN. In short, we DO NOT HAVE THE OPTION to buy NON ETHANOL GAS because of political shenanigans and excessive lobbying.
    Waving your team flag and claiming moral superiority is wonderful, if it wasn't for the issue that your elected federal officials were the people voting for these policies. The seed corn, fertilizer & food processors (ethanol distillers) have more say in this matter than any silly consumer. As such, they are the ones (they have the same legal stature as a citizen) speaking and funding the elected officials.

If you want to rant, rant against the guy that's making the profit and paying the lobbyists and campaign funds . The elected officials are doing whatever the market provides for campaign funds. They, in turn, write the laws/rules that run the government.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Long Range Rifleman
    Southeast Arizona....where we ride year round.
    Quote Originally Posted by bohdi36 View Post
    try this web site www.pure-gas.org, for your local area, seems to be fairly accurate in my area, you can also add stations if you come across one in your travels.
    They have a nifty iPhone app as well.

I don't need an iphone to see that the nearest "pure-gas" is still over an hrs drive from me.

Quote Originally Posted by NI5L View Post
    They have a nifty iPhone app as well.
    Thanks for the tip. I found one station locally selling non-ethanol, and I know our local marina sells non-ethanol as well.

Choice of gas does not seem to affect the performance of my K12 in any noticeable way. However, I have an old Porsche Turbo with mechanical fuel injection, and of course it can't make timing adjustments on the fly like a modern car or motorcycle with EFI. It likes good gas.
    Ub
    05 K12S . 86 R65

Long Range Rifleman
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I don't need an iphone to see that the nearest "pure-gas" is still over an hrs drive from me.
    You might if you were traveling.

Corn

Corn was intended to be used for making Whiskey, not ethanol.
    Gene T

Amateur Veteran
    so I went to all the gas stations near me today and everyone had 10% content, which really bugs me... I can't help but think the bike would run better if I could get 100% gas somewhere... is it worth the trouble? or is 10% ok?

Quote Originally Posted by R1200RClassic View Post
    so I went to all the gas stations near me today and everyone had 10% content, which really bugs me... I can't help but think the bike would run better if I could get 100% gas somewhere... is it worth the trouble? or is 10% ok?
    You can use your high school chemistry and calculate the heat energy content of the blend vs the non-blend. Or, you can listen to anecdotal comments.

It's just a matter of what you want to believe.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    You can use your high school chemistry and calculate the heat energy content of the blend vs the non-blend.
    Good point.

I looked up the energy densities of gasoline (34 MJ/l) and E10 (33.18 MJ/l). These would mean that E10 has 97.5% of the energy density of gasoline. If the relationship between energy density and horsepower is linear, then my K12's horsepower is reduced by 4 HP, from 160 to 156 when using E10. My personal butt dyno is not calibrated to that level of sensitivity.

But on the other hand, if you had to fill up with E85 you would take a noticeable hit in energy density - E85 has 75% of the energy density value of pure gasoline. (E85 being 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline).
    Ub
    05 K12S . 86 R65

Quote Originally Posted by 39520 View Post
    Good point.

I looked up the energy densities of gasoline (34 MJ/l) and E10 (33.18 MJ/l). These would mean that E10 has 97.5% of the energy density of gasoline. If the relationship between energy density and horsepower is linear, then my K12's horsepower is reduced by 4 HP, from 160 to 156 when using E10. My personal butt dyno is not calibrated to that level of sensitivity.

But on the other hand, if you had to fill up with E85 you would take a noticeable hit in energy density - E85 has 75% of the energy density value of pure gasoline. (E85 being 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline).
    At constant speed, your mileage should be proportional to fuel energy content per volume.

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

E10 > E15 Gasoline Mix Impact

Folks,

As a technically-degreed executive of a nearly 100-year old engineering consulting firm, I am a firm believer in science-based risk analysis and absolutely deplore political rhetoric and grand-standing. Too many organizations have taken positions based on the misguided beliefs of their financiers and not scientific fact or empirical data.

I want to share a reasonably well written summary on the findings of a proposed plan to move from E10 to E15 gasoline mix. I can tell you that a large population of automobiles was rigorously tested and effect measured on their performance (in the broadest sense) to determine E15's impact. We presented the results of our tests to Margo Oge of the EPA who was extremely pleased with the rigor of the analysis (as I would have expected) as there is so much "hot air" on this subject we needed to be absolutely robust in our approach.

I am going to follow up with my team to ascertain if any similar analysis was conducted on "small personal transportation vehicles" like ATVs, motorcycles, and so on -- and I'll pass that on. In the meantime, here is the article:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...15/496452.html

I hope this helps and for anyone that needs a complete copy of the report I will see if I can find a way to post it for you.

Kent

Long Range Rifleman
    Good article. Being in research myself, I can appreciate the testing and the reults.

But the fact that the ethanol is made from a food staple really pisses me off.

I don't know what cretin decided this is a good idea, but he and his cohorts should be publicly horsewhipped.