Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FD Time

Remove the brake calliper (so you don't hear the pads on the disc) and spin the wheel, if there is a grumble its a sign of impending failure. If there is just a whirring sound then I would ride for a while longer and watch the magnet. Typically there are more/larger flakes than you have.
    Any black fluff is perfectly normal.
    BTW: I am assuming you have an Oilhead right?
    It helps to fill out your profile.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Remove the brake calliper (so you don't hear the pads on the disc) and spin the wheel, if there is a grumble its a sign of impending failure. If there is just a whirring sound then I would ride for a while longer and watch the magnet. Typically there are more/larger flakes than you have.
    Any black fluff is perfectly normal.
    BTW: I am assuming you have an Oilhead right?
    It helps to fill out your profile.
    I need to do that profile thing... it helps.

The bike is a 2003 R1150RT with 46200 K on the odometer. HES was replaced at about 36500. Other than some oil it's been fine. And now, I'm not concerned about oil... it's used next to NONE in the last 3500 miles. I guess the rings finally said, "I'm seat'n in now"... and that is good news because I was about to turn the glove box into a oil reservoir with a drip system.

Seems like we're discussing three items here. The smudge that showed on the FD Minder; the droning noise when leaned over; and the play at the rear wheel.

My opinion, having never seen or taken a ride on your bike:
    The smudge looks pretty normal, keep watching, keep up oil changes.
    The droning is probably tires; 7,800 miles? Put on a new pair.
    The play? Get the pivot bearings checked and tightened or replaced.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    Seems like we're discussing three items here. The smudge that showed on the FD Minder; the droning noise when leaned over; and the play at the rear wheel.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The play? Get the pivot bearings checked and tightened or replaced

Well, did the pivot bearings. The old ones didn't have a smoothness to them and they were looking alittle on the rusty side so they were repalced. The amount of wheel play remains is the same, about 3/32"
    I'll continue to watch.

FD was replaced

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post

At 48,200 miles and a trip of coming up, I decided to go for a rebuild on the original FD. With so much slop in the 6/12 position (about 6-7mm) I felt it was time to open up the can of worms... didn't want to push it any further. I've been monitoring the FD Minder and wheel movement for the last 6K miles. It was time...

There was no leaking of oil, nor excessive 'flakes' on the final drive minder or, in the drained oil. There was a distinct amount of silver particles suspended in the oil as noted in the first post. Upon opening and inspecting; the ring gear bearing showed signs of wear but not like it was ready to separate or fail. Of course it showed show signs of wear it had some mileage on it. On the other side... tapered bearing end... the axle was worn to the point that a new tapered bearing would just fall onto the shaft without any pressure. Thus the culprit, a worn axle shaft that caused the particulate and the slop.

I ended up replacing the 32/11 FD with the same. A used one with 6800 miles on it. It's seemingly in great shape. I was considering going to a 33/11 but the used one came up, so I got it.

Now I have the original that I was told could be rebuilt using a bearing glue, like Loctite Green. I'll wait and see. I might want to have a spare around...

So, there's no more wheel slop and no particulate in the oil (yet). Also, I noticed there wasn't any droning when leaning.
    It's OK now...

Thanks to all that put in there .02 worth, it was appreciated!
    Last edited by lgb; 04-16-2013 at 11:37 AM.

I had horrible droning with PR2 tires. Yes, it did sound like a bearing going bad. Took me a while to figure out that it was the tires. Replaced with PR3 and the droning is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 23217 View Post
    I had horrible droning with PR2 tires. Yes, it did sound like a bearing going bad. Took me a while to figure out that it was the tires. Replaced with PR3 and the droning is gone.
    Good to know. I hear the droning noise infrequently and was starting to worry about FD or a bearing going bad. I am running PR2 tires front and rear.
    2004 BMW R1150RT

I am running the PR2's on my 03 R1150RT and have droning. Bike has just under 17K tires 6k. Changing the tires will eliminate the noise until they wear again.
    Here is what I found yesterday. A failed bearing cage on the pivot pin. Torn down and waiting for parts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Mik...ature=youtu.be

Bluenoser
    The PR2 tires on my R1100R stated droning after a couple of thousand miles. You never noticed it a highway speeds but if you did some slow speed circles in a parking lot you could hear the droning. You'd have thought the rear end was going to fall off the bike, but it was just the tires. If you ran your hand over both the front & rear tires you could feel the cupping on the left side of the tire. The right side seemed fine.

I really don't know why they went that way, could have been the different tire compounds on the tread, road camber. At the time I was riding solo, bike was loaded up and lots of high speeds with twisties thrown in. It was on a 6 K mile trip and I replaced them when I got back.

It was more annoying than a safety issue.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650