Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Rally Including current updates

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by RDMEASE View Post
    I'm from Oregon I've been a member for about 3 years and have really wanted to attend an International Rally... but they've always been too far and/or I've been unable to get the time off work. This coming summer rally dates are perfect and I can get those days off. But geeez... I would love a nice ride to get there... but only 50 miles down I-5 to get to Salem... that just takes the wind out of my sails. Perhaps I'll wait for another year and what I'd consider a funner destination from my point of view. For me the road trip to get there is half the fun! Without a decent ride to get there is the rally really worthwoth it? Should I wait for another year? Just rambling here . LOL!
    The rally was only 70 miles from me when it was in Johnson City, TN. I along with others, mapped out good crooked mountain rides for out of towners and led some rides on unmappable rides that were great. It's great fun when it is local.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

bands

would like to see Paul Thorn at the rally how many other people would like to have them there?

So Close You Can Experience the Spirit of THE RALLY!

I'm from Oregon I've been a member for about 3 years and have really wanted to attend an International Rally... but they've always been too far and/or I've been unable to get the time off work. This coming summer rally dates are perfect and I can get those days off. But geeez... I would love a nice ride to get there... but only 50 miles down I-5 to get to Salem... that just takes the wind out of my sails. Perhaps I'll wait for another year and what I'd consider a funner destination from my point of view. For me the road trip to get there is half the fun! Without a decent ride to get there is the rally really worthwoth it? Should I wait for another year? Just rambling here . LOL!
    RDMEASE that is no way to be. The best way to enjoy THE RALLY is to volunteer. If you have never been to a rally this is the rally to go to. You know the roads in the area, you know the great places to go this is the opportunity for you to share Oregon with all the visitors. Show it off! The benefit of a close rally is you can attend all the early pre-rally events! Attend the Rider Performance University, go ride the Iron Butt to the rally and by volunteering at the beer garden or registration you get to meet everyone! This is a perfect time to go to the rally.

If you still have doubts go to the Taproom this Wednesday at 6 p.m. we will be there and we will convince you. Don't want to socialize contact me.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Any discussion about the 'Salem 1000' yet?

Any discussion here about a Saddlesore 1000 for Salem yet? I seem to remember start points for Redmond in Miles City MT and Ely NV which made for some interesting route choices. Maybe we could start near the top left corner of the contiguous USA for instance?
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Any discussion here about a Saddlesore 1000 for Salem yet? I seem to remember start points for Redmond in Miles City MT and Ely NV which made for some interesting route choices. Maybe we could start near the top left corner of the contiguous USA for instance?
    I know there is strong interest from Mike Kneebone and the Iron Butt Association.

You need to hook up with the guys over in the" Who did not attend because it was too hot" thread! Another reason not to go to the rally" It's too close". It never ends!
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by 106802 View Post
    RDMEASE that is no way to be. The best way to enjoy THE RALLY is to volunteer. If you have never been to a rally this is the rally to go to. You know the roads in the area, you know the great places to go this is the opportunity for you to share Oregon with all the visitors. Show it off! The benefit of a close rally is you can attend all the early pre-rally events! Attend the Rider Performance University, go ride the Iron Butt to the rally and by volunteering at the beer garden or registration you get to meet everyone! This is a perfect time to go to the rally.

If you still have doubts go to the Taproom this Wednesday at 6 p.m. we will be there and we will convince you. Don't want to socialize contact me.
    Or make the trip there a bit longer. I've been known to ride several hundred extra Kms to get to someplace not that far away from home.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

I feel mildly stupid for asking this, but.....

What the newest year bike allowed in the vintage display? Someone said bike has to be at least 35 years old?
    Too damn many bikes to list

Bluenoser
    Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    If you think that your opinion doesn't matter or isn't even heard, then you just might be mistaken.

Do you think that your opinion just might possibly be in the minority?

My experience has been that ALL opinions are taken seriously and that decisions are made with the majority opinions directing the organization.

Don't agree? Then run for the BoD and see what I'm talking about.
    Here is a quote that I penned on another site:

"My 2 cents. Far too much was read into the original comments by the author of this thread. Thicker skin is required by all. I just took the observation of the author as a general comment, nothing more or less. That is the interest of ride reports in that we see the trip through their eyes, you or I may describe something differently but that is the way they saw it. Nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion, that is healthy, but if one wants to carry on taking exception to something that was said, do it in another thread."

Although this was in reference to some folks jumping on some comments in a ride report, the general theme is valid here.

Organizers always do the best that they can. It's not always perfect in the eyes of the beholder, but such is life. If you don't like it, get involved. If you are going to complain offer a solution.

I plan on being there ( have lodging reservations already ) and will enjoy whatever is there.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

Quote Originally Posted by flymymbz View Post
    I feel mildly stupid for asking this, but.....

What the newest year bike allowed in the vintage display? Someone said bike has to be at least 35 years old?
    According to the Vintage Committee Chair, bikes up to /6 and R90S are welcome at the Vintage Display. Hope to see your's at the 2013 Rally in Salem.
    Last edited by bikerhiker04; 10-28-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Nye View Post
    I know there is strong interest from Mike Kneebone and the Iron Butt Association.
    1985 R80RT/ 2002 R1150GSA
    IBA # 44032

Quote Originally Posted by bikerhiker04 View Post
    According to the Vintage Committee Chair, bikes up to /6 and R90S are welcome at the Vintage Display. Hope to see your's at the 2013 Rally in Salem.
    So, the R75/5 is good to go. Where does a 78 R45/N fit in? :-)
    Too damn many bikes to list

Quote Originally Posted by flymymbz View Post
    So, the R75/5 is good to go. Where does a 78 R45/N fit in? :-)
    Ride it down, ya never know. If not at Vintage, then at least by the Airhead tent.
    Rick Nelson - 2014 BMW MOA International Rally Vendor Committee Co-Chair
    '12 G650 GS Sertao
    Operating on one cylinder by choice

Smoking Garden?

I suppose that the good o'l MOA dodged a bullet when the voters of Oregon did not pass an initiative decriminalizing recreational use of Marijuana. I wonder what the passage of this measure would have meant to the rally?

Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    I suppose that the good o'l MOA dodged a bullet when the voters of Oregon did not pass an initiative decriminalizing recreational use of Marijuana. I wonder what the passage of this measure would have meant to the rally?
    Buncha old guys sitting around getting baked?

Food vendors running out of food at all hours of the day or night?

Tent fires?

-----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia