Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Rally Including current updates

Salem

Rode from Wisconsin to Redmond two years ago. It was the best ride ever - both ways! I look forward to going to Salem. Already have two rooms booked. I'd consider moving to Oregon.

Fiordmann
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
    As I understand it, there will be 2 board vacancies for the next election.

Which one are you running for?
    The same one your are running for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiordmann View Post
    The same one your are running for.
    Oh for a spelling/grammar checker...
    Dick
    R1200GS '08
    "Hey, where you goin'?" "Nowhere in particular." "Man, I wish I was you." "Well, Hang in there..."

Too close to home

I'm from Oregon I've been a member for about 3 years and have really wanted to attend an International Rally... but they've always been too far and/or I've been unable to get the time off work. This coming summer rally dates are perfect and I can get those days off. But geeez... I would love a nice ride to get there... but only 50 miles down I-5 to get to Salem... that just takes the wind out of my sails. Perhaps I'll wait for another year and what I'd consider a funner destination from my point of view. For me the road trip to get there is half the fun! Without a decent ride to get there is the rally really worthwoth it? Should I wait for another year? Just rambling here . LOL!
    Rich Mease
    Portland, OR
    R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by RDMEASE View Post
    I'm from Oregon I've been a member for about 3 years and have really wanted to attend an International Rally... but they've always been too far and/or I've been unable to get the time off work. This coming summer rally dates are perfect and I can get those days off. But geeez... I would love a nice ride to get there... but only 50 miles down I-5 to get to Salem... that just takes the wind out of my sails. Perhaps I'll wait for another year and what I'd consider a funner destination from my point of view. For me the road trip to get there is half the fun! Without a decent ride to get there is the rally really worthwoth it? Should I wait for another year? Just rambling here . LOL!
    Such troubles. I'd just plan a route to the rally that included Banff and Jasper on the way.

Or Hyder, Alaska!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Way to go Voni

Perfect solution for the problem. And thats why you have more than a million miles to smile about.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT

Without a decent ride to get there is the rally really worthwoth it?
    Yes, don't miss a National if it's in your back yard. This year we went to Sedalia which is only 250 not so interesting miles away and we had a good time at the rally.
    In the past we have not made it to very many Nationals because my job did not allow me much time off in the summer. With the rally so close, I only had to take two days off.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I will never ride enough

Train Ride

I am starting the investigation to getting my bike out there and ride the train to meet up with it.

In 2001, I rode the train with the bike in a freight car with many other folks and had a wonderful time. I understand that Amtrak will not be taking motorcycles on the train this time around.

I am contacting the three trucking companies that do move motorcycles around the country to see if I can get a deal on a price if it is a truckload from say Chicago to Spokane....??? I am also trying to see if they can coordinate the timing to depart and arrive at about the same time as the train.....We will see.

Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?

SPCLED

2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by SPCLED View Post
    I understand that Amtrak will not be taking motorcycles on the train this time around.
    I see you spotted the rally train thread.
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63099
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

TravelsWithBarley.com
    How about volunteering to help with the setup, laying out self-guided rides, posting some pics of area attractions for those of us riding 3k miles to get there..?
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

"Travel'in" John
    Burlington, Ky - very mini "tree-farm" & the Florida Cape - Titusville, winter retreat

Or...

Take a big ride north or south into SW Colorado and meet what could be half of
    the MOA from east of the big river for the Top of Rockies Rally.... then join us
    back to Salem. When your coming thousands, ya gotta break it up somewhere.

04R1150R

John what about heading West for the 49er rally Memorial Day weekend leave the bikes in Cali. round trip it home back to Cali pick up bikes and head up to Salem in July on the Coast!
    Knick
    F800GS
    Vespa ET4

"Travel'in" John
    Burlington, Ky - very mini "tree-farm" & the Florida Cape - Titusville, winter retreat

Ya gotta love a new idea...

And we wouldn't be "whipped" from a haul to the left coast before arriving at Salem!
    No train ride or shipping required... just storage logistics. I'll give it due consideration.
    When it comes to the annual moa rally before & after week.... everybody's gonna be
    somewhere doing something!

John, red 04r1150r

We had Deschutes Brewery as our micro-brew in Redmond in 2010. Very tasty and well received in everyone's opinion.
    I'm sure that they will be on the short list for Salem.

MAD DOG
    Nat Rally Beer Chair

I have always figured that there are those who attend the rally:

because it's close.

Because it's far.

or just because they enjoy it regardless of the distance.

Some of those who like to complain about the rallies attend for ammunition for their litany of complaints.

Some who complain don't bother to attend, using, temperature, boring roads,
    Things (motels beer etc) cost too much or _______________ for reasons not to go.

Me? I just like to go & feel cheated when I am unable to attend.

I like when the locations vary in distance from my home, long one year & a little bit shorter the next.