Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Rally Including current updates

I'm curious to know how the BOD came to the decision to have the 2013 rally in Oregon after having it there only 2 years ago. Please don't get me wrong, I think Oregon is a wonderful choice and a great destination for all the beautiful roads they have winding through some awesome topography. However it has been my impression that the rally site ought to be moved around the country in a reasonably consistent manner. In the 6 or so years that I have been a member it has always been in the north, never in the south. (not that I would want it in the southern heat of July, no thanks. The northern heat of July is quite warm enough)
    It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

Wow, it only took 6 days to change from a Rally info thread in to a whinefest.

There's plenty of other threads for whining about the heat, the timing, the location, the Board or any other subject. Take it there! I'm interested in what's going to happen at the Rally!

I'm planning on being there. I'm planning on 1 volunteer shift a day. I'm planning on having a good time.

I don't care if it's hot, cold, dry, wet, too far away, too close to Redmond, too well attended, not as many attendees as ??, whatever. At least we have a Rally to plan for and attend. What would it be like if the Rally was discontinued?

Maybe it's time I bump my "Great Things about Rallys" thread.
    1985 R80RT/ 2002 R1150GSA
    IBA # 44032

Quote Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
    Wow, it only took 6 days to change from a Rally info thread in to a whinefest.

There's plenty of other threads for whining about the heat, the timing, the location, the Board or any other subject. Take it there! I'm interested in what's going to happen at the Rally!

I'm planning on being there. I'm planning on 1 volunteer shift a day. I'm planning on having a good time.

I don't care if it's hot, cold, dry, wet, too far away, too close to Redmond, too well attended, not as many attendees as ??, whatever. At least we have a Rally to plan for and attend. What would it be like if the Rally was discontinued?

Maybe it's time I bump my "Great Things about Rallys" thread.
    f

Thanks for the reminder.

The 2013 Rally is going to be in a great location, at a first rate venue and has experienced volunteers leading the effort.

I wish them nothing but the very best.

Thanks to all who will make this happen.

I would suggest that if we want to continue debating the time, location or process that another thread be started.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

On the Road
    Is there any chance that the Board can influence Amtrak to have a Rally Train going from, say Chicago to Portland? That might help a LOT of people with limited time to attend the Rally from the East side to the West...there and/or back?
    Thanks

iscream-stop
    Quote Originally Posted by razz2234 View Post
    Is there any chance that the Board can influence Amtrak to have a Rally Train going from, say Chicago to Portland? That might help a LOT of people with limited time to attend the Rally from the East side to the West...there and/or back?
    Thanks
    Great Idea, same timing though. Train goes same speed, more stops. Would be a great time having MOA gatherings in dinning car though, just hard to get tents up in sleeping cars.
    Actually would consider that, it would be fun.

iscream-stop
    Quote Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
    Wow, it only took 6 days to change from a Rally info thread in to a whinefest. .
    My wife says that is a great idea, only WINE-fest. When is it going to be in a great wine area? Future Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by i-scream-stop View Post
    My wife says that is a great idea, only WINE-fest. When is it going to be in a great wine area? Future Ideas?
    I heard the Salem folks are working on some wine tours.
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by i-scream-stop View Post
    Great Idea, same timing though. Train goes same speed, more stops. Would be a great time having MOA gatherings in dinning car though, just hard to get tents up in sleeping cars.
    Actually would consider that, it would be fun.
    Not really....the train doesn't stop to sleep. But I may be in as well
    Raleigh, NC
    1600 GTL

I've got my rooms already booked and will enjoy myself along with my wife and everyone else who chooses to attend. We also plan to volunteer our services a bit while we're there.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

I will never ride enough

Rally train

I rode the 2001 Rally Train from Chicago to Portland. Great time, still meet some of my fellow train ralliers at the Nationals.
    It was a 48 hour train ride from Chi to Port. We played many a card game.

SPCLED

2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by razz2234 View Post
    Thanks

This club is all about volunteers. Contact Amtrak and find out what it would take to put that train trip together.
    You can be the Rallytrainmaster, maybe they'll let you blow the whistle!
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

On the Road
    If anyone doesn't mind...I'll contact Amtrak to see if I can put a Rally Train together for anyone that would want to ride/and pack their bikes on a rail ride from Chicago to Portland for the 2013 Rally. If anyone is interested...it could give me an estimate of how many would be interested. I'm sure the MORE there are...the easier it would be to talk to them and make it worth their effort and ours to put a package together.

Give me a head count folks???

Bill

PM me if interested....

On the Road
    ' The info below is the essential part of an article for an upcoming ON (no sooner than) November.

The train departure/arrival times may vary by a few minutes by next July, but not by much.

2013 RALLY TRAIN SUMMARY

We are planning a rally train to Portland (from DC via Chicago) and back to DC in July 2013, and recommend this vendor to carry the bikes as Amtrak will not take them on the same train, and we want people to have bikes ready for them as they arrive in Portland:

http://keyboardmotorcycleshipping.co...d=10&Itemid=16

The contact at Keyboard for Rally Train shipping is either Kelly or Christi at 270-737-5797. You can e-mail them via the website. Be sure to say ÔÇ£BMWMOAÔÇØ when you talk so we can get the best discount. The more bikes, the better the deal. If only one person ships one bike, the rate will be $500 1-way and $900 round trip, whether you are in Bangor, Maine or Miami, Florida, or St. Louis, MO. The more bikes shipped from each Keyboard region, the better the price will get.

Here is today's Amtrak schedule for trains we will use. I doubt it will change much, except for possibly identifying an additional eastbound train a few days later (same train schedule by hour, etc) for those who chose to stay in Oregon longer.

TRAIN SCHEDULES

Westbound - MONDAY, CAPITOL LIMITED, ETD D.C. SUNDAY, JULY 14 @ 4:05 P.M.; ETA CHICAGO 8:45 A.M. THE NEXT MORNING, JULY 15.

EMPIRE BUILDER - ETD CHICAGO 2:15 P.M. JULY 15, ETA PORTLAND 10:10 A.M. ON THURSDAY JULY 18.

Eastbound - EMPIRE BUILDER - ETD PORTLAND 4:45 P.M., SUNDAY, JULY 21; ETA CHICAGO 3:55 P.M. TUESDAY, JULY 23;

LEAVE CHICAGO 6:10 P.M. ON TUESDAY, JULY 23, ON THE CAPITOL LIMITED; ETA D.C. 12:40 P.M. ON WEDNESDAY, JULY 24.

We are exploring whether someone will drive a 53-foot semi from Detroit through Chicago to Oregon and back. No guarantees.

The bottom line is you arrange your own bike shipping either or both ways, and your own Amtrak reservations on the noted train(s). Our goal is to have all rally riders on the same train eastbound and westbound.

Gray Buckley
    MOA Ambassador
    graybuckley@gmail.com
    Office 720-963-9641
    Cell 720-231-3101

cc All 27 who have expressed an interest. PLEASE SHARE AT WILL.

'11 R1200RT '12F800GS BlackDenis's Avatar

How many nights to book in motel?

I've not attended an event of this kind. Does one need to book a motel night for the 17th and the 21st or do events start later on the 18th and end early on the 21st to allow for travel on those days?
    Degeneracy can be fun but it's hard to keep up as a serious lifetime occupation. R. M. Persig

2013 BMW MOA Rally Chair bmwDeb's Avatar
    I've not attended an event of this kind. Does one need to book a motel night for the 17th and the 21st or do events start later on the 18th and end early on the 21st to allow for travel on those days?

Response:

Set-up and Thursday morning volunteers are encouraged to be on-site or in a hotel Wednesday evening (the 17th). On Thursday (the 18th) Registration will open at 8 am, the Commercial Vendor Building and the MOA building will open at 9 am, and Seminars usually start at 10 am.

Rally festivities go through Saturday evening, so departure on Sunday (the 22nd) would be advised. There will be a clean-up committee working on the 22nd to put the grounds back to the condition when we arrived.

Deb Lower
    2013 Rally Chair