Thread: Washing question: F800 seat

Hybrid View

Morning Person

Washing question: F800 seat

Seat on my new F800ST appears to be a vinyl material. So...when I wash the bike, it's OK to wash the seat, too...right? What about long term preservation...any treatment needed? I can't imagine putting anything on the seat that might cause it to become slick...

All info appreciated...thanks, all.

Made to get wet, it's OK.
    Leather preservative if you don't like the slippery/shiny.
    Don't buff it, ride it!
    Enjoy.

There's your first problem. You don't wash it, you ride it. Seriously, I don't think washing your seat will hurt it. It is designed to be out in the weather. I have never done anything to my BMW seats other than wash them with the same soap I'm washing the bike with. I'm not sure what that material is, but it is not leather.

Glad you brought this up though, because I just sent my seats off the Rick Mayer to be redone - in leather. So I will now have to care for them a little differently. And I hadn't thought of that until just now.

Thanks,
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Morning Person
    Thanks. Washed it with car wash soap...same as used on the bike. Did wonder if some water might soak through into the cushion material underneath. Might want to limit how much water I use, to prevent any problems with the cushioning material. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    Did wonder if some water might soak through into the cushion material underneath. Might want to limit how much water I use, to prevent any problems with the cushioning material. Thoughts?
    I don't remember any seams on the top of a ST seat, so water getting to the foam will not be a problem.
    Back in the 80s I had a Russel Day Long seat with a lot of stitching on topside and water would soak into the foam. With that seat I had to use a seat cover when riding in the rain or washing the bike.
    Last edited by Lee; 08-06-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Morning Person
    No...no seams on the ST seat. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    Thanks. Washed it with car wash soap...same as used on the bike.
    Thought: dont' wash your bike OR your car with "car soap."

Water is plenty fine, especially if painted parts are waxed ... as they should be.

Wash anything painted with a soft-bristle brush, i.e. don't rub the dirt into the paint, making your cloth or similar just like sandpaper.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I had a fair amount of heavy rain (and some snow) fall on mine. It never hurt it. But the climate is very dry here. Washing shouldn't hurt it at all.
    dc

Morning Person
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

Water is plenty fine, especially if painted parts are waxed ... as they should be.

Wash anything painted with a soft-bristle brush, i.e. don't rub the dirt into the paint, making your cloth or similar just like sandpaper.
    Why not with soap?

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

If I go for a day ride and just want to get the bugs off the front of the bike, I'll use a soft bristle finish brush while running water over the fairing.
    If the bike is really dirty, like it would be from riding in the rain all day on dirty roads, I want car wash soap to help lift the dirt and also slick thing up so the dirt does not scratch the paint.

Flyrider, make sure you use car wash soap if you like to wax your bike. Dish soap will remove the wax.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT