Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Headed for the Dragon in September and could use some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jogitu View Post
    You are missing out on spectacular riding if you miss the Blue Ridge Parkway. It ain't the speed it's the twisty road and the views. If you hate 45mph you will really hate the Dragon.
    US 129 on The Tail of the Dragon is posted at 30 mph.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Quote Originally Posted by cehlbeck View Post
    US 129 on The Tail of the Dragon is posted at 30 mph.
    There's a lot of roads from West Virginia down through North Georgia just as twisty as the Dragon and posted at 55 mph.

Mind is not for rent
    Look at the roads to the west of 81, they're your best bet.

But to be honest, if you're in Scranton, you're going to be disappointed with the Dragon. You've got a dozen better roads within 50 miles of you, and they all have less traffic and fewer cops.

The Cherahola Skyway is nice if you can catch it early when there's no traffic. It's spectacular at about 2-1/2 times the posted limit.

I'm planning an early Sept, trip with some friends, but just the opposite.
    We're doing Skyline Drive & the Parkway...all the way.
    Not concerned with 129... Too many wannabees & police now head-huntin' .My luck I'd get caught doing 31 in a 30....

Quote Originally Posted by 05Train View Post
    The Cherahola Skyway is nice if you can catch it early when there's no traffic. It's spectacular at about 2-1/2 times the posted limit.
    I've talked to locals that have been snagged in a covert radar trap on the Cherahola.

Enforcement presence is much higher on the Dragon and nearby in TN then elsewhere due to large number of serious and stupid events. 2/day requiring hospital runs is the norm which is a pretty sad commentary on both the skills and judgement of the folks playing there- expensive for local govts and wouldn't be tolerated at all except its the only industry in the area.
    The Cherohala has a well known decreasing radius corner about 10 mile in that has bitten more than a few but is basically faster and safer than the Dragon which is a much older road.
    As has been noted by many of you (and the locals agree) the Dragon is overhyped but a good show if you like squid watching. The cardinal offense sure to get you a performance award is crosing the centeline- if you're unlucky it can also get you killed as most of the curves are blind. Re speed, the TN cops on duty are normally pretty reasonable if you're under 50 and riding sanely though the posted limit is a lot lower. As you will see if you've not been there, maintaining high speed on it is both difficult and dangerous due to restricted sight lines.

It is easily possible to ground those Harley footboards on the Dragon where the odd road cambers make it vey likely in some spots if you crank up the speed - this is the known cause of a couple of the historical fatalities. BMWs ridden normally will have no clearance issues.

The Cherohala Skyway (cherO hAla) crosses the Cherokee and Nantahala forests,hence the name. What a beautiful ride.

Early spring, I did a long day from central Georgia, across the Cherohala, up and back on the Dragon, then back across the Cherohala. The skyway was the high point of the trip, not the Dragon.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

The Dragon

I agree that if you think that 45 mph on the BRP you won't like the Dragon.
    You don't want to be there on a holiday weekend unless you like crowds at the base of the Dragon and insanity running the dragon.
    I love NW North Carolina!

But to be honest, if you're in Scranton, you're going to be disappointed with the Dragon. You've got a dozen better roads within 50 miles of you, and they all have less traffic and fewer cops.

Just to be helpful I'll say that there,hands down, are some VERY GOOD! roads to ride that are EAST! of I-81.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!

Have to agree EAST of 81 is where it is at.

As far as PA roads, yes there are a lot of good roads in N central PA, but as good as the GAP and Smoky's, not by a long shot.

Because of it's proximity, I have ridden thousands of miles in N central PA, and know back roads, that local rides don't, but I still travel to NC yearly, but rarely ride the GAP, as I know better places there too.

The dragon is great , but only if you can get there on monday or tuesday. Blow Rock, NC is one of my favorite areas. Boxwood lodge on main st. Not fancy, not over priced, but always clean and friendly. The BRP south from there is great and 221 south to linville, nc. Also love hwy 184 from Banner Elk up and over Beech Mtn. good rides, good food, and always some kind of event happening in the area.

Living in NC most of my life, (native), and having ridden a lot of NC mountain roads, I can honestly say that the "Dragon" is somewhat of a dissapointment if you've never been. 11 miles of 318 curves sort of makes one sea sick just thinking about it. LOTS of dumb asses in this part of the state. Yes it's an attraction and specticle but there are A LOT of roads in NC much better with far fewer LEO's around to hassle you. Get yourself a NC Delorme Atlas and Gazatteer. Look for roads like 16, 18, 228, 226, 208, 88, 80, 196, 215, 205, 276, 64, etc in the western part of the state. They will not dissapoint.

As for riding from Scranton Pa to the dragon in 2 days... that's some tough nut riding for a 15 to 20 minute jaunt on the dragon. If you haven't already, take a look at www.tailofthedragon.com for more info and maps.

BTW, most of the dragon is in Tennessee and the Hwy Patrol there can be bothersome... 6 or 7 over the limit will get you a pink copy.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

Look at THIS

And see if you're still pumped to ride The Dragon. Over 1000 Pages of crashes and critiques on the dumb stuff happening at The Dragon. EDIT: The worst is when innocent riders who are paying attention get taken out by the knuckleheads. Believe me, it happens. I wouldn't ride there on a sunny Saturday for all the money you could muster. I DID ride it on a cold rainy Tuesday on the way home from Barber one October day... and enjoyed it, tho there were darn few people there at the time. In my humble estimation, it might be worth doing once in a lifetime, just to tick it off The List.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662

If you just can't stand it, do it on a Tuesday or something, preferably in the rain. That way there'll be FAR fewer idjits to deal with. I agree there are many fine roads in that part of the world that don't see the number of bikes as Deal's Gap.

+1 on BRP/Skyline Drive. It's beautiful, and one of our national treasures. If you hit it right (weekday) you might not have too much traffic. I rode a big part of it in November and had it to myself. I saw hawks, bear, and deer.

If you can't stand 45 mph, maybe you just want to jump on I-81 and bypass the slow roads.
    Then again, you could take a few days and head west/southwest out of Scranton (Hiway 6?), riding thru the Laurel Highlands and PA's highest mountains (near Mt Davis) into WVA. You could noodle down thru the Mountain State enjoying minimal traffic, hugging the west side of the Blue Ridge Mountains, then roll into TN/NC/VA to ride the AREA around the Dragon, do the Cherahola Skyway, THEN get on the BRP at its Southern entry point and ride it all the way up to its Northern end. Then map the most mountainous route back to Scranton from Front Royal, beginning with US 522N off the Skyline Drive, which quickly routes you thru VA, WVA, & ND into PA.

If I had the time, that's how I would play it.
    Last edited by bmwrider88; 02-27-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian-NC View Post
    ............... if you've never been. 11 miles of 318 curves sort of makes one sea sick just thinking about it. ..................

It is only 318 if you count every weave Bubba the DOT line painter made as he sipped his Busch beer, while painting the continuous double yellow center line. 220 is generous IMHO.

It is a great road, sans the circus clowns, but as you state, lots of other nice stuff in the area.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010