Thread: Allegheny National Forest, PA

still running...somewhere lostbearings's Avatar

Allegheny National Forest, PA

Has anyone rided around Allegheny National Forest? I assume the road are mostly paved. Is there much traffic in late August? Anything in paticular we should see?

thanks in advance

Lostbearings

I have ridden quite a bit in the Allegheny National Forest and enjoyed every bit of it.

I stuck to paved roads and meandered around a bit just to see where some roads went.

I have gone at various times of the riding season and only had traffic around the larger cities and some of the more popular tourist areas...nothing to be concerned about.

Enjoy!
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

Traffic should not be a problem any time of year.

I've not ridden them but I'm pretty sure there is a good many gravel/dirt roads in the area. Didn't the GS guys camp somewhere up here on the way to Bloomsburg last year?

Make sure you stop to see the Kinzua Bridge. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...idge/index.htm

We have stayed at the Lantz Corner Motel. Cheap, clean enough and a nice bar restaurant next door.

You can ride to Warren Pa. and visit the Case knive/Zippo lighter factory. Neat stop that will take about an hour to visit.

jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

Quote Originally Posted by lostbearings View Post
    Has anyone rided around Allegheny National Forest? I assume the road are mostly paved. Is there much traffic in late August? Anything in paticular we should see?

thanks in advance

Lostbearings
    The GS Giants stormed the area in 2011, starting their GS Gypsy Tour at the Forest Lodge.

There is a lot of good paved riding and even more unpaved. Ask Frank at the Forest Lodge... he knows all the good riding in the area.

Here's a link to a GPS route you can download...

Here is a very useful paper map... you can order these using the info on the PDF

If you PM me, I might be able to e-mail you some GPS routes.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

still running...somewhere lostbearings's Avatar

Thanks everyone!

thanks guys, I will check out the bridge maybe stay at the hotel. Glad to hear there is not much triffic. I'm riding my GS and would love to ride the gravel roads but my buddies are to street bikes (1200 Bandit, R1200S, K1300S) and are alergic to dust