Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kevlar Jeans

BugCollector
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
    I have a pair of relaxed fit Draggin Jeans. I wear them on really hot days here instead of my mesh pants. The mesh allow too much moisture to escape without allowing any evap cooling. So on long highway runs, I put water on the jeans and am much more comfortable. I also switch to cotton shirts from wicking fabrics too. That's for 95 degree and higher riding. Below that, I stick with mesh and wicking fabric.

I'm in central Texas, BTW. I'd agree that the jeans are warmer than the mesh in the lower 90's.
    So that would mean you're wearing the jeans from June through September since it's always at LEAST 95 during those months.

Kind of. This year I wore the mesh longer. And actually I commute in fairly early in the morning so I will still use the mesh then and just figure I'll suffer on the way home.

I'm more likely to wear the draggin jeans when I know I'll be out during the day. The protection on the mesh is much better since it has armor.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by MARKAZ View Post
    Rather than hijack the mesh gear thread I'll start another.

Anyone wear kevlar jeans or cargo pants? I'm considering a pair of Sliders with knee armor.
    I drove to my local competition accessories in Rock Hill, SC and tried on several pair of the "Sliders" kevlar pants. IMHO, they are very cheap in their construction and poorly sized. They just seemed awkward to me. The armor was poorly aligned for me anyway, I'll pass.

One word of caution about kevlar jeans. I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence but the kevlar lining will only protect you from road rash. You'll need some serious knee/shin/hip armor for impact protection. And if the jeans are baggy as they apprear to be, they'll most likely slide up in a crash and leave your skin exposed.
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

I have a couple of pairs of the Draggin" Jeans and generally like them. I have wondered how much protection they really offer should I go down.

Do we have anyone with a kevlar crash experience who'd be willing to share?
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
    I have a couple of pairs of the Draggin" Jeans and generally like them. I have wondered how much protection they really offer should I go down.

Do we have anyone with a kevlar crash experience who'd be willing to share?
    On the Draggin' Jeans website he has a video where he's towed behind a truck in the parking lot while sitting on his butt.

http://dragginjeans.com/custom.aspx?id=1 Or go to the "About Us" page on their web site.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Quote Originally Posted by Dmftoy1 View Post
    +1 what he said. Only drawback is they get HOT if you hike in them in really warm weather.
    DITTO on the heat.
    I went to Bloomfield last year from work so I had kevlar pants on.
    I was roasting, amazing how much wind the fairing blocks even with the windshield down and 100+ degrees out.

They are on the heavy side too so tighten the belt a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-NC View Post
    {snip}...the kevlar lining will only protect you from road rash. You'll need some serious knee/shin/hip armor for impact protection...{snip}
    Absolutely! I think the odds of landing on your precisely on your butt and sliding down the road behind a truck are fairly slim. IMHO, impact protection for your ankles, knees, hips, back, elbows, shoulders and head should be considered along with road-rash protection.

$0.02,
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Quote Originally Posted by jnrugg View Post
    DITTO on the heat.
    I went to Bloomfield last year from work so I had kevlar pants on.
    I was roasting, amazing how much wind the fairing blocks even with the windshield down and 100+ degrees out.

They are on the heavy side too so tighten the belt a bit more.
    after reading this, you will understand why you cannot cool at that temperature even in the wind.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/I..._62-66_Hot.pdf

p.s. I found this in another thread in this forum.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Denim Sliders 4.0 - wore them to and from the Sedalia Rally - very nice.
    As I mentioned, no problems with wearing the Sliders in triple digits, both there and back.

Just ordered a second set - a pair of tan-colored cargo pants. The fact that they do not line every single square inch with Kevlar makes them more comfortable and managable than the Draggin' Jeans, IMHO.

Like I tell all my BRC students - "Wear the skin you willing to lose."
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

+1 on the Sliders. My sons and I all wear them-- both the jeans and the khaki cargo pants. None of us use the armor, but it's easy to add. These are the only riding pants I can get my 'armor looks stupid, Dad'- college-age kids to wear--they just look like jeans.

Very comfortable for riding AND walking around, and do OK in hot weather; they're great in cold. They run very large so beware the sizing. Wore a pair on a 2500-mile loop a few weeks ago in everything from 45 to 100 degree weather, rain and shine, and never got tired of them.
    Dave in Vermont
    '84 R80ST
    '81 R100 hack

Is there a website for the Slider 4.0 ?

na1g
    To add to the confusion:

Aerostich has "Protekt Jeans" that look like serious pants. Also, they have "Arborwear Gusseted Canvas Pants" and "Protekt Khakis". All have TF3 knee pads available and double fabric at the knees, but no Kevlar. Prices are $97, $77 and $97 respectively, plus pads for $27.

I don't have experience with any of them. I ride in Draggin Jeans with Roadcrafter knee pads.

pete
    '11 R12RT

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by eugene View Post
    Is there a website for the Slider 4.0 ?
    I order them thru Competition Accessories.

I work for a company who makes apparel for military and police, etc. called 5.11 Tactical. I've only been there about 6 months, but their pants are great - very comfortable and well made. I've not ridden with them, but they're thick canvas and have pockets for kneepads.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...ns-Cotton.html

Check out the video at the bottom of the screen.
    Tom - MOA #156706, Hayward, CA
    2006 BMW R1200GS Adventure, aka "Gretel"
    1983 Honda V65 Magna - SOLD
    http://www.flyv65.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TomDac View Post
    I work for a company who makes apparel for military and police, etc. called 5.11 Tactical. I've only been there about 6 months, but their pants are great - very comfortable and well made. I've not ridden with them, but they're thick canvas and have pockets for kneepads.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...ns-Cotton.html

Check out the video at the bottom of the screen.
    I wore 5.11 Tacs on duty as an LEO, and bought several pair (Kakhi and Navy Blue) from General Jackson's (Fort Bragg, NC) while visiting my son, and use them both for MSF instructing and general riding.

HOWEVER, as rugged and practical as they are (and I really like them!), they are still just heavy-duty cotton, and will vaporize in a significant slide.

Not Kevlar-reinforced.