Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Go Pro cameras

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiee View Post
    I have the GoPro HD. My only complaint is if the sun is anywhere in the forward 1/3 of my field of view, the entire picture tends to get washed out.
    There are two metering modes on the HD. Switch to the other one.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    I've had my GoPro Hero2 for a couple weeks now. I've got a RAM mount to mount the camera to my bike, and a helmet mount to mount the camera to, well, my helmet.

I haven't had a chance to test it out other than filming a recent commute to the office, which you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDHCdiHkMo&feature=plcp

I'm really looking forward to ski season, where I'll be able to easily video my son's skiing with the camera mounted on our ski helmets.

I've had no problems operating the camera while it's attached to my helmet. So far, I haven't seen a need for the Wi-Fi remote control. Once you learn the sequence of pushing buttons, you can do it with the camera out of sight.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by DPeakMD View Post
    I've been using the GoPro HD for the past 2 years. The major limitation IMHO is poor user interface. The LCD back was a step in the right direction, but still falls short. I haven't used the WiFi back or remote, but would consider them to be an essential accessory. I have missed great video solely as a result of uncertainty of what mode the camera is in, or what the viewpoint of the lens is. The microphone is another a weak spot for moto use. So many areas fall short with this platform I'm seriously considering the Contour platform would be my next choice, not the GoPro HD2...
    Most Contour cams are worse than the GoPro's when it comes to wind noise, but their latest camera, the Contour +, comes with an external mic jack and it works very well. And the recording quality is the best I've ever come across, including the GoPro2 which I still use often. Would note the Contour+ is a pricey cam, but it is excellent.

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
    I broke down and ordered a GoPro 2, question now is how to mount it. I don't care for the helmet mount and space on a K75S is a little limited. Anyone out there have any ideas / sucess with a simple mounting system and position for a K75S?
    Taking a look at K75S images, consider using the suction mount coming with the GoPro2, and placing it on the left side fairing coming down from the windshield. Looks like plenty of room for the excellent suction mount.

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiee View Post
    I have the GoPro HD. My only complaint is if the sun is anywhere in the forward 1/3 of my field of view, the entire picture tends to get washed out.
    I've learned regardless of camera and adjustments, if I want the best possible recording, have the sun at the back... if this is an option. Also, cloudy day recordings typically underwhelm. I've become picky enough I often don't bother recording a road if it is overcast or seriously cloudy.

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    I've learned regardless of camera and adjustments, if I want the best possible recording, have the sun at the back... if this is an option. Also, cloudy day recordings typically underwhelm. I've become picky enough I often don't bother recording a road if it is overcast or seriously cloudy.
    I too try to shoot with the sun behind me, however when the camera is mounted and you are on the move, you sometimes find yourself headed in the general direction of the sun. Those are the ones I'm complaining about, especially if I saw something along the road I was hoping to get a picture of.
    Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    If you use a suction mount, make damn sure to use a safety tether. I've seen too many vids of cameras coming off and tumbling down the road.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)