Thread: Go Pro cameras

Hybrid View

Morning Person

Go Pro cameras

Anyone here with experience riding/filming with GoPro? What model...how did it work for you? Any tips?

Yep. I use the GoPro HD. I have virtually every accessory except the 3d unit. Don't need that. I mount the unit on my helmet, and on the bike. I also have the chesty, which fastens the camera around your body. I have the extra battery pack, the external video viewer and the new remote control. Have used the camera on bike trips and just got back from Florida where I played with it in the ocean.

I really recommend you get the remote control unit. Without it, when you put the camera on your helmet, or any other place, you cannot easily control the camera. And you do not know when it is recording and when it is not.

With the remote, which creates its own wifi network for the camera, you can turn the camera on and off, select whether you shoot stills, multiple shots or shoot video. It works really well. I will take some pics of my mounting of the remote if you like.

Let me know what questions you have and maybe I can answer them. It is a really great little camera.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

GoPro Camera

+1. I have the original Hero and Hero 2 HD -- they are amazing and concur fully with the above comment regarding the need for the wireless device.

I will post a picture later of my unique GoPro mount. I get 'third person' perspective of me riding the bike and have a second camera which can go in several other locations. I don't really like the helmet mounted video, too much movement for me.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Here's the mount I made. It's pvc plumbing with aluminum stabilizers. The cameras are on a mount I bashed together from 2 rollbar mounts and a few bits from Home Depot. It is very stable, invisible to me when on the bike and captures great images. I am going to try to snip a single frame out of a video to show the perspective.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul
    2011 R1200RT

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    I have the newest Hero2, with remote. What others said on the remote, makes it much easier to use, and less distracting, which can cause problems. Remote battery life is short, so I have it wired to charge on the bike, and mount it on the LH handlebar.

Also if riding with others, nothing is more annoying than constantly stopping to fiddle with the camera.

I said I would post an image from my high mount third person camera location. I hope this works. My computer skills are a little lacking.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul
    2011 R1200RT

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    My GoPro 2 bricked when I tried to do the firmware update for the wifi back. Waiting for a replacement...
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I see most people are using the GOPRO. Does anyone use the Contour Roam? My wife just bought me one. I used it a couple of times and am happy with it. Pretty good quality video.

I have an older Contour (the original HD that does 720p not 1080p) and a Drift Stealth. I prefer the Drift as it has a remote to turn record mode on and off meaning I can mount the camera outside of my normal reach. It also has a small screen to preview camera orientation and set options. I suppose you can use it for playback, too. I didn't like the form factor of the go pro.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I didn't like the form factor of the go pro.
    GoPro also has wifi remote capability and viewing screen these days.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)