Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How To Avoid A Speeding Ticket

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    And the cost of ticket, points on license , and now insurance companies adding premium rates for a year after the offence .....too me it's just not worth it.
    surcharges on insurance for 6 years in Massachusetts.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

That I understand And I hope ya never get caught
    Thanks! My last speeding ticket was in 1992 while enjoying my R65 coming down from Rabbit Ears Pass into Steamboat Springs. The state trooper said there was a lot of wildlife in that area and I might get hurt riding that fast. I believe him.

Ride safe, ride often, and enjoy it as much as you can. The dance won't last forever.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    There is the possibility that many speed limits are unrealistically low. I remember hearing that some state laws say that speed limits should be based on the average measured speed of drivers using the road. The presumption being that the average citizen isn't a total fool.

I'll betcha even former LEO's exceed the speed limits sometimes.
    It's called the 85th percentile rule...and if the cities, towns, counties, etc, etc followed that traffic engineering theory, the posted limits in most cases would be...higher.

But that being said, if you can't do the time (or handle the fine), then don't do the crime. LOL Or at least be judicious in the use of the throttle hand.

I'm older, so like a few others around here, I'm just not in such a big hurry to have encounters with traffic enforcement. And what's worked for me (last paid ticket in 1982) is being forthright with the officer. Play games, and they can play games right back...usually which ends with "Sign on this line please, this is not an admission of guilt, but merely a promise to appear in court, and press hard as there are 5 copies...".

Cheers...!

PS. Our Bro-in-Law is a former traffic officer...and he speeds a LOT, but only in places where a "little" extra speed is "reasonable". Of course we grew up back in the old days in Nevada when there were NO posted speed limits on the open highway. Just "reasonable and proper for the existing conditions". Oh, for the good ol' days!!!
    Bill Johnston

Don't speed?....

What a unique idea...
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

What a Hoot!

"I talked the cop out of giving me a ticket by ..." As a LEO, I can tell you from first hand experience, this is very very rare. While it may make someone feel good to think they talked the LEO into not issuing the summons, most likely it never happened. When the officer turns on his or her blue lights, it has already been decided whether the infraction warrants a summons or a warning.

The tactics presented will will aid in maintaining the officer's position on summons v warning but will very seldom have enough influence to change from ticket to warning. On the other hand, not using these tactics, being a jerk, can very quickly turn a warning into a summons.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Things not to say to police officers:

1. Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in.

2. Aren't you the guy from the Village People?

3. Hey, you must've been doin' about 125 mph to keep up with me. Good job!

4. Are You Andy or Barney?

5. I thought you had to be in good physical condition to be a police officer.

6. You're not gonna check the trunk, are you?

7. I pay your salary!

8. Gee, Officer! That's terrific. The last officer only gave me a warning, too!

9. Do you know why you pulled me over? Okay, just so one of us does.

10. I was trying to keep up with traffic. I know there are no other cars around. That's how far ahead of me they are.

11. When the Officer says "Gee Son....Your eyes look red, have you been drinking?" You probably shouldn't respond with, "Gee Officer your eyes look glazed, have you been eating doughnuts?"
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    This is not a thread touting the times my Valentine 1 has assisted me in avoiding a ticket (although it certainly has). Instead it is a comment on Victor Cruz's Article How to Avoid A Speeding Ticket. While the Article contains a great deal of valuable information, I must respectfully disagree with one aspect of his advise.

Mr. Cruz advises that upon being stopped you confess to the alleged violation and save any contest for court. Everything you state to the officer is either being recored on video or will be entered as an annotation on the ticket. It is far more difficult (read virtually impossible) for you (or your lawyer) to deny you were speeding in court if you have admitted the violation to the officer. I obviously agree with Mr. Cruz to remain polite. Confessing to the offense MIGHT convince the officer not to write the ticket, but if you admit the violation you have traded your chances of beating the ticket in court for the chance the officer will not ticket you. Not a trade with good odds in my experience.

My exchange would go more like this:

Officer: Do you know why I stopped you?
    Me: No Sir.
    Officer: Do you know how fast your were going?
    Me: I'm pretty sure my speed was not excessive.
    Officer: You were speeding, we clocked you at 70 in a 50.
    Me: I see.

You have been polite. You have not argued. AND you have not destroyed your chances to beat the ticket in court.
    As a retired LEO who worked a traffic unit for a NUMBER of years, I would definitely consider the exchange above as polite and in no way argumentative. Even admitting doesn't always equal a citation, but would make it more difficult to fight in court if you chose to.

Now on a different point. What I notice motorcyclists on all brands do more than speed is pass on twisty roads in no passing zones. Yes, even those leading club group rides will do it. In N. Ga. that will get you a citation quicker then anything else.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

One other tip:

While it is your right to contest ANY citation in court, do it wisely. NEVER argue with a judge that the speed limit should be something else than it is posted as. The traffic court judge is not there to determine what speed limits should be but only to decide whether or not or you did/did not exceed the speed limit by a given number of mph in a posted mph zone by the evidence and testimony presented. You will lose that one EVERY time and sometimes more expensively that just saying "I didn't do it."
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

Don't go to court

I hire lawyers that keep me out of court. Last citation,,,this year. last conviction? 1963. I learned my lesson quickly and well.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

OFF: Do you know why I stopped you?
    Me: No.
    OFF: You were exceeding the speed limit.
    Me: No I wasn't.
    OFF: yes you were Sir, I clocked you at 75. The speed limit is 55.
    Me: No it isn't.
    OFF: Yes it is Sir.
    Me: No it's not and I can prove it.
    OFF: how can you prove it?

ME: Here ya go Officer.

Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

now that's funny
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

186,000 miles a second...?

Wait, isn't that the same speed as Officer Motorola?
    Bill Johnston

Naw Bill, that's the speed of his flashing lights.

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    186,000 miles a second...?

Wait, isn't that the same speed as Officer Motorola?
    Hmm. Not really - more like

Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Uhhhh, no.
    UH, double no...

I saw in the news where Einstein admitted in later life to having fudged on his formula as it didn't actually prove out as shown-nice shoulder/weak theory...
    Last edited by kantuckid; 08-05-2012 at 11:52 AM.