Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: How To Avoid A Speeding Ticket

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    The above reminded me of this Chris Rock Video.

NOTE NWS!! IT CONTAINS SOME ADULT LANGUAGE!!!

http://youtu.be/uj0mtxXEGE8
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Much truth

There is much truth in that Chris Rock video.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Sadly, this club spends more ink and effort on how to speed than how to ride well.
    Yeah, and if you are on the roads worth riding, your chances of speeding are pretty slim.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    A friend of mine recently got stopped in his truck just outside Lovington, NM. His real name is not Rogers - close, but not.

Off: Do you know why I stopped you Sir?

Lonnie: Sure. You stopped me because I was speeding and I didn't see you. Don't let it happen again and I'll let you off with a warning this time.

Off: And just WHO are YOU?

Lonnie: I'm Lonnie C. Rogers.

Off: Well Lonnie C. Rogers, get your smart ass outta here and remember you owe me one - Smartass. [with a smile].
    Man, I wish you had posted this sooner.

The last ticket I got I was asked "Don't you know radar works out the back window as well?" Well, Duh. Of course, I respectfully refused to answer the question.

Every ticket I have received I deserved. And deserved many that I never got. I always hope for mercy, not justice!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Yeah, and if you are on the roads worth riding, your chances of speeding are pretty slim.

Couldn't agree more, but unfortunately they don't make roads like that in the US. Places like Co have ridiculously low speed limits on many roads that 55 would be a smart pace, but they are posted 35, even in the middle of nowhere.
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Couldn't agree more, but unfortunately they don't make roads like that in the US. Places like Co have ridiculously low speed limits on many roads that 55 would be a smart pace, but they are posted 35, even in the middle of nowhere.
    Are you serious? 35 MPH on a wide open back road I would assume? What are they thinking? What roads specifically...just curious?

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Are you serious? 35 MPH on a wide open back road I would assume? What are they thinking? What roads specifically...just curious?
    Almost any road in CO that has corners had ridiculously low speed limit. Guanella Pass for is just an example, check out the speed limit sign at the 1:47 mark, the rest was 35 by memory.

The sweet roads N and W of Mesa, most of the twisty stuff. The e-w rods up the front range between Denver and Fort Collins.

I was not impressed with the roads there
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike

richard, i have to agree, and disagree, with you. yeah, some (many/most) CO are signed too low, but its like that throughout the entire country. but there are a number ofroads that are at least 45 or 55, and curvy. however, those would still feel a lot better with an additional 10-20 added on.

i believe one of the things that happens with our limits and our drivers is that most people tend to drive AT the posted limit. So if the limit was raised to a truly reasonable speed,might be too fast for some to negotiate safely, but tehy woul probably try it anyway, as that is what they have alwasy done. so the limit stays at a level that allows even the barely competent to stay on the road safely (sort of). seems like the tail wagging the dog.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Avoiding/Beating Speeding Tickets

When I practiced law in CA (1978-2009), I sat as temporary judge in Traffic Court probably two hundred times. The advice I have seen posted re conduct once stopped (remove helmet, courteous, admit nothing) is good. I would add, never admit to exceeding the limit by even one mph. The officer doesn't have to prove you were going 75, for example; all he needs to prove is that you exceeded the limit. If you admit doing 67 in a 65 zone, you've made his case. If you do get cited, it's a good idea to go to trial, for two reasons: 1- about one time in three, the officer doesn't show and you win by default; 2- if the judge finds you guilty, he/she will usually impose a lower fine than you would get if you did not contest. Most judges, permanent or temporary, do not feel required to impose the "ordinary" fine except in flagrant cases.

Almost any road in CO that has corners had ridiculously low speed limit. Guanella Pass for is just an example, check out the speed limit sign at the 1:47 mark, the rest was 35 by memory.
    That mountain road is so wide open you could call it an interstate through the mountains. It seems they are setting the speed limit based on a turn somewhere else on the road...drivers can't judge that for themselves?

I was not impressed with the roads there
    Neither would I be.

do what i did

get 2 brothers and as sister to be cops.

or, ya could get a set of 'get out of jail free' tags.

6337046023_92122db3e1_z.jpg
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Any Highway Engineers Here?

I would like to hear from a highway engineer on this topic. Like most of you, I usually think highways are marked with too slow speed limits. However, I once heard a talk by a highway engineer who told the group that most roads are marked for what the road engineers consider the safe speed for the worst conditions. This translates to marking the speed limit on a road for the largest truck that will drive on the road, such as a semi rig on most numbered routes. I now understand slower speed limits better, if I try to imagine a large truck making that curve.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I would like to hear from a highway engineer on this topic. Like most of you, I usually think highways are marked with too slow speed limits. However, I once heard a talk by a highway engineer who told the group that most roads are marked for what the road engineers consider the safe speed for the worst conditions. This translates to marking the speed limit on a road for the largest truck that will drive on the road, such as a semi rig on most numbered routes. I now understand slower speed limits better, if I try to imagine a large truck making that curve.

This makes a good argument for having dual truck/car speed limits as a lot of states use. Truck limits should be lower in some instances for the reason Royce stated.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    ...........However, I once heard a talk by a highway engineer who told the group that most roads are marked for what the road engineers consider the safe speed for the worst conditions. This translates to marking the speed limit on a road for the largest truck that will drive on the road, such as a semi rig on most numbered routes. I now understand slower speed limits better, if I try to imagine a large truck making that curve.

WHY?? And if so, make it an advised limit, not one the LEO can collect revenue on. Yea, places like Pikes peak, Rocky Mtn Park, etc where there are lots of sight seers and pedestrians, 55 would not be prudent. We need to require people KNOW how to drive BEFORE giving them permission to operate a 2 ton weapon in public.

And if you use that logic, all interstates in snowy or foggy areas should be posted at 30 MPH, as in the worst conditions that would be a safe speed.

One of my theory's on why European drivers in the Alpine regions are so good, is they HAVE to pay attention or they are off a 500' cliff, as there are no guardrails in most places. So it is the Darwinism at its best, you suck as a driver, you die, and you can't breed, and raise offspring that you teach your bad habits.
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike