Thread: 2012 chain tensioner failure

Hybrid View

2012 chain tensioner failure

Greetings from Colorado,

Picked up a new 1600 GT 3 weeks ago just before big ride to Canada. Bad idea. Rode the bike home and thought the engine was making expensive noises. Was told by the dealership to bring it in after my trip. Noise kept getting louder and louder. Long story short I took it back to the dealer as I didn't trust that noise for 3000 miles of duty. Dealership pulled the bike apart and found a tensioner that wouldn't hold pressure and as a result the chain also was found to be stretched. Replaced both. Now at this time I'm not feeling to good about the bike and was wishing I had my 1200RT back. Picked up the bike today and same noise same conditions after 150 miles back home. Now I know this bike makes different noises then a 1200RT but this noise can't be normal. IT is the most noticeable at 2500 rpm with light load in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Sounds like chain slap or a valve short on oil. Has anyone out there had this same experience. I want to love this bike but I'm starting to lose that loving feeling. Also I can't seem to get use to the snap of the drive train. A sort of heavy clunk when torque is applied to the drive train after coasting or letting off the throttle. So I guess the question is are these normal noises or should I be worried. Dealership seems willing to work with me to get it resolved but has been a 3 week bummer so far. 700 miles on the bike and ALL of them to the dealer for service.

jay1622
    I hate to even bring this up, but does Colorado have any kind of Lemon Law? Two more times and you should be looking at a new ride. Either way... Good luck man.

Don't know about the lemon law but the dealership seemed open to a solution. I told them I would like a new 1600GT, a new R1200RT or my old 2010 R1200RT. They said if thats what I wanted they would put things in motion. Just a pain because I said I want to love this bike but it won't let me. I see some other chit chat about the clunky trans and my 10 1200RT is a little clunky but nearly as the 1600. My 65 R60 shifts as smoothly as the 1600. Anyway thanks for the well wishes and we will see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by damon84 View Post
    Greetings from Colorado,

Now I know this bike makes different noises then a 1200RT but this noise can't be normal. IT is the most noticeable at 2500 rpm with light load in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Sounds like chain slap or a valve short on oil. Has anyone out there had this same experience.
    Many K1600 owners have reported the same "clattering" noises. Not sure if it should be considered normal as most dealers would have you believe.

I've only test rode a GTL and I don't remember any of the issues your describing. IMHOP you have had a pretty major repair and with a stretched chain I'm wondering if you might have had some valve train damage. These are machines and things can go wrong. If the dealer is willing to work with you I would go for a new bike, or at least put those wheels in motion for a new one. In the meantime ride the heck out of it and see what happens.

BMW dealer is starting the wheels for a new bike. The service Dept. is in agreement with me that it is not a normal sound. BMW USA corporate also contacted me as well after filling out the online customer satisfaction survey so being handled from both ends. BMW corporate rep was receptive to the new bike idea so I am hoping for a happy outcome. I would think BMW might want that bike back anyway to tear apart and see what really happened inside. You know a little R&D.

BMW dealer is starting the wheels for a new bike. The service Dept. is in agreement with me that it is not a normal sound. BMW USA corporate also contacted me as well after filling out the online customer satisfaction survey so being handled from both ends. BMW corporate rep was receptive to the new bike idea so I am hoping for a happy outcome. I would think BMW might want that bike back anyway to tear apart and see what really happened inside. You know a little R&D.
    Good to hear.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Damon84: What a small world. I took my GTL in for the same engine "rattling" noise and my dealer told me that BMW authorized replacement of the cam chain adjuster based on the results of a similar complaint in Colorado. I can only assume they were referring to your situation. I left my GTL at the delaership for 3 weeks while I was out of town and when I got it back the noise was still there. The only thing that changed was the rpm where the noise really came on strong had moved up to 2800 rpm from 2600 rpm. The dealership is an hour plus from my house so I am going to go back this Saturday and discuss this matter with them. I would be interested to see what your final outcome is with your bike as I may pursue the same with mine. Do you hear this noise when the bike is cold? I do not which kind of surprises me. All I know is this rattling noise drives me nuts and way overshadows the driveline clunk in annoyance. Thanks for help.

Rick

Did you remove both drains when you did your own change. That would account for difference.

Duhh No I did not. Forgot what kind of oil system it had. So it's like my old Porsche. Engine oil and tank oil? Thanks for the tip.

I live just outside Milwaukee, WI in Muskego. I am not sure why, but my engine is stone quiet when cold, but once hot all bets are off. I also notice that the driveline clack or clunk follows suit. No clack when cold, major clack when hot. I am glad to hear your dealer is working with you on this matter and hope you have good luck getting it all resolved. I am going to be be in Denver for three weeks starting this coming Monday so perhaps we can meet up and you can let me know how it all turns out. Thanks, Rick

Duhh No I did not. Forgot what kind of oil system it had. So it's like my old Porsche. Engine oil and tank oil? Thanks for the tip.
    Check the two PDF files in post #1 in this thread.
    http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ght=oil+change
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Thanks for the oil change link. Will check it out right away.

Hey damon84, anything new to report on your engine noise?

Rick