Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How will we be remembered by Sedalia?

How will we be remembered by Sedalia?

I had a terrific time at the rally and met quite a few locals and every single person was helpful and welcoming.

It started at 10 PM on Sunday night as Don Friedwald and I pulled into the convenience store on Highway 65. A gentleman in his 60s approached us to talk about our bikes and invited us to his house for anything we might need during the rally. He lived across the street from gate 4. He also told me the only way to get into the fairgrounds at night was Gate 6A; the RV entrance.

I was offered coupons at Hardees Monday morning by a very nice lady and that was just the beginning of continued signs of welcome displayed towards me.

I organized a tour of one of the factories located in Sedalia, Sierra Bullets, and they rolled out the red carpet.

We were featured on their Facebook;

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sierr...13695128655695

This was an incredible venue and we were surrounded by great local folks who made us all feel welcome.

Thanks to the selection committee.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

I never saw any links to local newspapers as to how we conducted ourselves, etc. I seem to recall that Ray Z. said we'd come into town and leave the town in better shape because of it. I wonder if that's how they saw it.

We heard in our motel one morning a local cop talking to the desk clerk. He said things had been pretty quiet...he hadn't had to do much with all the bikes in town.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Sedalia Democrat

The local paper had a story on the money that was raised for the local charity.

http://www.sedaliademocrat.com/brief...a4bcf6878.html

There was also this comment in a letter to the editor;

ÔÇ£The BMW rally sure added life to this town. They also did as they said they would: They left the fairgrounds cleaner than when they got here. Hope they come back.ÔÇØ
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Jerry -

I get a 404 error with your link.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Smile

I agree with Jerry.

I rolled in Monday evening - gassed up at Casey's General Store and mentioned a need to keep plenty of non-ethanol premium on hand for the BMW crowd. They said they had topped off Sunday night, and planned to keep an eye on their fuel supply, welcoming all who dropped in. Nice folks.

Had my rear brake pads that had self-destructed in the triple-digit heat over a long ride to Sedalia (OK, OK - I was at the Dragon over Father's Day weekend with my son!) replaced at Yeager's Cycle - an H-D dealership! Red-carpet treatment! Ordered in proper pads and completed the service in an hour on Thursday - quality work and $52 (pads & labor). They too were happy we were in town.

Had some problems (room door left wide open by housekeeping all day on Tuesday, no Wi-Fi service, troubles with key cards, vending, etc.) at local motel. Apologies and two nights excused from the final bill. They'd love to have us come back.

Local attitudes combined with outstanding facility (MO State Fair Grounds) - Chuck, Julie and Bob hit a homerun with this site.

Kudos!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

In speaking with a "higher-up" fairgrounds employee on Sunday morning, he said that he has seen MANY groups come and go at the fairgrounds. NEVER has he seen a group so large, and so well organized, as MOA. And so respectful and easy to work with. He didn't miss much either as he remarked that I was one of the first to arrive, and one of the last to leave. {Must have been the bumblebee!}

MAD DOG
    Nat Beer Chair

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    replaced at Yeager's Cycle - an H-D dealership! Red-carpet treatment! Ordered in proper pads and completed the service in an hour on Thursday - quality work and $52 (pads & labor).
    I've also seen stunningly good service from an HD dealer when a riding buddy lost his headlight on a multiday ride a few years ago. Turned out to be a pinched cable harness. No appointment, we were in and out in less than an hour. Cost was under $100. Dealer was in Troy, NY.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Jerry -

I get a 404 error with your link.
    Try again, it worked for me.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

WDaigle
    We had good experiences at most of the few places that we went outside of the Fair Grounds. I think that most of the people had a favorable impression of the MOA members. Luckily we will not base our opinion of Sedalia on the experience at our motel, a totally horrible experience from the start. I would love to have been reimbersed for a night or two of our stay instead of being charged more than my reservation confirmation rate plus having to put up with the very unpleasant conditions of the room. I have addressed that with the Sedalia Chamber of Commerce and with a review on TripAdvisor. We had a great time at the rally and enjoyed Sedalia and hope that they enjoyed having the MOA members. We would go back.

I became a local!

On my first morning I scoped out the local donut shop based on a recommendation of a friend who used to live there. I arrived at Papa Jakes at 6:30am (in full gear) and the locals sipping coffee were quick to chat me up. A few minutes later, the above mentioned friend showed up.

The next morning, I passed this friend on my way back to Papa Jakes. As I walked in, the same 4 locals informed me that I was late and my friend just left. We talked about the rally and they also commented on what a great group we seemed to be. As I was leaving, they reminded me to be on time and they were saving my seat for the following morning.

What a great group of folks. Everyone I encountered both on the fairgrounds and off, seemed pleased. The cashier at the MO Beef House even said that we were "much nicer folks than any other group she's seen come and go."

Well done, everyone!

I'm sure the Missouri Hog Rally will leave their own memorable impression Sept 20-23. They are expecting 5,000 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    In speaking with a "higher-up" fairgrounds employee on Sunday morning, he said that he has seen MANY groups come and go at the fairgrounds. NEVER has he seen a group so large, and so well organized, as MOA...
    MAD DOG
    Nat Beer Chair
    With apriori apologies to any generals or colonels reading this, even the US Army cannot move 5,000 people in and out of a community as well as does the BMW MOA.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    On my first morning I scoped out the local donut shop based on a recommendation of a friend who used to live there. I arrived at Papa Jakes at 6:30am (in full gear) and the locals sipping coffee were quick to chat me up. A few minutes later, the above mentioned friend showed up.

The next morning, I passed this friend on my way back to Papa Jakes. As I walked in, the same 4 locals informed me that I was late and my friend just left. We talked about the rally and they also commented on what a great group we seemed to be. As I was leaving, they reminded me to be on time and they were saving my seat for the following morning.

What a great group of folks. Everyone I encountered both on the fairgrounds and off, seemed pleased. The cashier at the MO Beef House even said that we were "much nicer folks than any other group she's seen come and go."

Well done, everyone!
    Tracy, everyone is nice to royalty.

Locals have a sense of humor

The night before packing up I realized the bolt holding on my top case had disappeared, and that just wouldn't do. So turning right out of the gate I ran into a farm and fleet type store, except they only sold nuts and bolts by the pound. Well here I am at the cashier, full dress, with a bolt, nut and washer in my hand for her to weigh. My total bill was a $0.05. She and the other clerks laughed their butts off... and said they met a lot of really nice people from the rally, but I was definitely the cheapest!

At that point I laughed... and then asked for a receipt.

Certainly hope Sedalia ends up on the rotation list in the future.
    -Ride Safe & Avoid Anyone On The Phone-
    **2000 R1100RT (Bullfrog), 1976 R90/6 (Tadpole)**
    beemerFROG a.k.a. Douglas E. Rost
    MotoFrog.net -- Black Frog Marketing

MO.Troopers:)

My last evening around 4PM, a MO. State Trooper full of a Sgt., a Senior Officer and his tall Son stopped by the GSGiants Camp. They passed my tent and were observing some of our faithful Giants riding the course from their patrol car. As they came back by my camp, I waved, stopped'em and asked IF they'd ever seen such on such huge bikes? A NICE conversation outside their car insued and soooo many questions and sincere interest in our GSAs came out of these guys. We had a wonderful chat for 15 minutes at my campsite, GSA the topic. Absolutely fascinated, these guys and they WERE IMPRESSED by our presense and general appearance of this biker org., MOA.....! I think I sold some BMWs. Randy