Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mesh gear

Have a white/gray/black armored back protector mesh jacket that I crashed in, washed it in the washing machine to clean it up. Works well, have mesh pants I wear shorts under. The jacket is from Cycle Gear so not high end but it worked like it should.

Good mesh gear is cooler than a T shirt and jeans
    one day last year or the year before i was leaving work and going straight home. it was a hot humid day and i thought i would leave my mesh gear in one of the side boxes and ride the short 5 miles home in shorts & tee shirt. i was really surprised at how much hotter i was riding this way. sitting at traffic lights i was baking and even when moving the combination of the hot air and direct sunlight on my skin was brutal. i am much cooler riding in my mesh gear then without any gear at all.

Get the right combination

I used to carry both a solid and mesh jacket on long trips, but now I have an Olympia mesh jacket and Motoport kevlar pants, both with removable waterproof and insulated liners. This way I carry only one jacket. The waterproof liner is a good jacket and the insulated liner was discarded in favour of a good fleese that can be used on the road as a sweater as well.

Now I'm cool, warm and or dry with less gear.
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2010 1200RT

Mesh Gear

I've got leather, mesh, and cordura jackets. More than any one person should have. I read the article from Iron Butt about riding in the heat. Yes, I'm MUCH cooler with real BMW City pants. I always use Under Armor, or similar, underwear and it's amazing how comfortable I stay all day, compared to jeans. I have a TourMaster Sonora, mesh jacket. The Denier rating is 1600. I found very few jackets that meet this criteria, especially mesh. I agree with the evaporation factor with the mesh. I'm going to try to find a non-mesh jacket that meets the Sonora denier factor and use it for a year round jacket. I see the shorts, T-shirts, no helmets and tennis shoe riders all day around El Paso, TX. Obviously, they've never had the exhileration of getting their skin debrided with a copper brush. As a retired cop, I have seen, an felt the pain. ATGATT!

Registered User jamesdavidhoward's Avatar

Kudos for Olympia "Air Glide" mesh

I've got an Olympia "Air Glide 2" jacket and pants (wifey has "... 3" version). Their mesh has proven very versatile, and they come with water-resistant and insulated liners that greatly expand their climate wearability. In a recent ride in 102??weather, the mesh was a perfect "top cover" to an evaporative vest (wet T-shirt will do, too): the combination provided excellent comfort with the mesh allowing airflow. (I'm in a dry climate, so works well. Humid climates would be a very different kettle of fish.)

Additionally, the reflective stripes and high-viz colors available from Olympia are resilient even through multiple washings. This has saved my a** a few times.
    James D. "Jim" Howard jhoward@alumni.caltech.edu

Thumbs up Motoport Air Mesh!!!!

Motoport air mesh jacket & pants....liners avail that will take you down to 40's comfortably...

In VERY hot temps (like Nat'l Rallies ) wicking long sleeve shirt, wicking long pants...I wear Under Armor "leggings"....LD shorts.
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Motoport air mesh jacket & pants....liners avail that will take you down to 40's comfortably...

In VERY hot temps (like Nat'l Rallies ) wicking long sleeve shirt, wicking long pants...I wear Under Armor "leggings"....LD shorts.
    Even lower than the 40s with electrics underneath. Have ridden in the high 20s with that combination.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Morning Person
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Train View Post
    Mesh works well from about 80-95 degrees.
    I ride up the canyon in the morning in an Olympia mesh jacket, in 60 degree temps, with a long sleeve wick dry tee shirt underneath, and a short sleeve under that. When it warms to 75, off comes the long sleeve and I ride with the mesh jacket and short sleeve wick dry. No problems.

Don't seem to have dehydration problem...but I take 2 liters of water for a 2 hour ride.

Hot weather, High humidity Jacket

This works best for me at temps above 93 degrees in the deep south with very high humidity. Take a look !

http://britishmotorcyclegear.com/zodiac-jacket.asp

OldJoe

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    I ride up the canyon in the morning in an Olympia mesh jacket, in 60 degree temps, with a long sleeve wick dry tee shirt underneath, and a short sleeve under that. When it warms to 75, off comes the long sleeve and I ride with the mesh jacket and short sleeve wick dry. No problems.

Don't seem to have dehydration problem...but I take 2 liters of water for a 2 hour ride.
    So I'm not the only nutter that rides with a long sleeve (turtle neck) under my mesh gear? In my case, it stays on until 80 degrees. Like you I also consume a lot of water.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Airhead Long Sleeve

I find the long sleeve from Airheads.org is very good under my mesh jacket. I also will wear a wicking long sleeve shirt, too.

I had a small Melanoma spot removed so I will wear the Airhead long sleeve a lot of the time when I am in the sun. I find the long sleeve help my body regulate my body temperature. I get asked often about the long sleeves, I tell them ever see Arabs, they cover up.

So with mesh, long sleeves on long rides for sure.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women