Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oh, boy...am I embarassed...

Morning Person

Oh, boy...am I embarassed...

Recently returned to riding after 25 year hiatus. Ordered a 2012 F800ST and waited the interminable 2 1/2 months for production and delivery (during which time I took a safety and skills course and read every good riding safety/skills book out there). Bikes today have more technology than back in the 1980's...which is why I'm embarassed. My new BMW has grip heaters...and I knew that when I picked it up. Two positions on the heaters...low and high. For some reason, I never thought to check the switch after I picked up the bike (after all, why would the switch be on in summer?), and rode for 600 miles over 2 weeks, in summer temperatures, with the switch on low heat. I kept thinking my short leather gloves were just too damn hot for summer and ordered some textile gloves. The day the textile gloves arrived, I discovered the grip heater on "low". I started laughing out loud...the motorcycle gods really got me that time...

Next ride, I wore the leather gloves again, with the heat off. Wow, were those grips so nice and cool...

Anyone else ever do anything dumb? Nah...probably not...

I done it a few times
    I've done it more to friends bikes
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Talking Naaaahhh

...never done that........much!
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

No doubt, you are the only person to ever do something THAT dumb!

Group of Beemer guys on a Sunday ride. One fellow's bike wouldn't start after a stop. Everyone looked and offered opinions, still didn't start.
    Bike was trailered to the dealer where the mechanic came out and flipped the kill switch to the run position..............

And no, it wasn't me.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

On my first ride over 100 miles on my 05 RT, my ass was hurting something fierce. How in the heck was I going to ride 4 or 500 miles if I could not make 100. I was shifting left, right, forward, back... But it was just BURNING...

Yep, somehow, I had inadvertantly turned the seat heater on to HIGH... After I stopped to walk around & stretch, I discovered the switch was on. I now check it mid ride a bunch.
    John.

Moondog
    Welcome to humanity....

Did a 724 mile day from Asheville NC to Vicksberg, MS and toured the battlefield (very cool). Had to be home next day and wanted to ride the Natchez Trace so I go up at 3am and headed out. Was probably 400 miles into the trip and just couldn't get comfortable on my Russell Day-long and was chalking it up to the long day the day before. Finally decided to stop and take a leak only to discover that I had my moisture wicking underwear on backwards with the fly in the back.

Just embarrassing because I was too stupid to dress myself correctly

Woodnsteel and I spent about a week trying to figure out why we couldn't get the headlights to go on on my new-to-me R80. Wiring seemed fine, bulb seemed fine. Finally noted the PO had put a Euro-only perch on the handlebar. You know...the one with the headlight on/off switch.....

Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
    Group of Beemer guys on a Sunday ride. One fellow's bike wouldn't start after a stop. Everyone looked and offered opinions, still didn't start.
    Bike was trailered to the dealer where the mechanic came out and flipped the kill switch to the run position..............

And no, it wasn't me.
    I definately resemble this. I have an old Honda Fourtrax 300, 1989. She has been a beast of burden her whole life. Dragging deer, ice fishing equipment, and trying to coax stuck vehicles out of their holes has been her entire life. Other than the agressive tires, she looks beat. Mechanically, the fourwheeler is tip top. Crack the pet cock, open the tank vent, turn the key, then hit the start button and pay attention. The damn thing seems to fire before you even hear the starter. Well....... twice now, she has not fired. The first time I had the tank off, carbs out, and half apart before I noticed the kill switch in the off position........... the second time I did not get quite that far. I swear I never use that switch........
    02' K12LT ~ 83K '97 F650GS ~ 32K' 81 XS400 ~ 9K
    MOA #184190 Club #231 48035

Voni's F800S came up with a bulb fault. I discovered a burned out brake light filament in the combination tail/brake light bulb. I replaced the bulb. Still a fault but the lights worked. I disconnected the Motolight combination brake/tail/turn LED lights. No change. I checked all the turn signal bulbs. No change. Finally, I noticed that the little parking light bulb in the headlight housing didn't light. Replaced. Fixed, after about 2 weeks.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Voni's F800S came up with a bulb fault. I discovered a burned out brake light filament in the combination tail/brake light bulb. I replaced the bulb. Still a fault but the lights worked. I disconnected the Motolight combination brake/tail/turn LED lights. No change. I checked all the turn signal bulbs. No change. Finally, I noticed that the little parking light bulb in the headlight housing didn't light. Replaced. Fixed, after about 2 weeks.
    How many hours did you bill her?
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I've done the same thing with the grips heater. Took me a few minutes to figure out which way was off.
    They do work well.
    2000 R1100RT-P

I spent an hour looking for a part that went on a set of luggage I was installing. I was at my wits end when Annie asked me what was up. I said I was looking for a part "that goes right here" as I pointed to where it should be installed.... and it was already installed... by me.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    How many hours did you bill her?
    It just added a few to the tab.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves