Thread: Comfortable riding pants?

Morning Person

Comfortable riding pants?

My riding pants (BMW City Pants 2) aren't that bad, but the knee protectors are big and rather hard. I find myself wishing for something softer and wondering if protection has to mean "uncomfortable".

Any really protective, and comfortable, pants out there for 3 season riding?

Mind is not for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    My riding pants (BMW City Pants 2) aren't that bad, but the knee protectors are big and rather hard. I find myself wishing for something softer and wondering if protection has to mean "uncomfortable".

Any really protective, and comfortable, pants out there for 3 season riding?
    I really like my Summer2 pants. They carry the same armor as the R3 pants, but they're lighter and more comfortable. I'm not a fan of the Summer3 pants at all.

I've got two long rides on my Rev'it Airwave pants and while they're probably not the best option out there for protection they're very comfortable. At a stop on a 250 mile ride yesterday in 90F weather, I did a mile hike up to some falls and then did some rock scrambling in them. They left just enough air through to be very comfortable in hot weather and have hip and knee protection and 600D in the right spots. I wear them over an EMS tech wick base layer. The best part about them - $200.

Aerostich Roadcrafter 2 piece - pants with zip-on bib top.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Morning Person
    What about replacement armor for City Pants? If not for the knee armor, these pants would be excellent? Maybe a source for more flexible armor is my solution?

Fat Bear
    I use BMW Trailguard pants - I wish that they had a few more vents; however, they became quite comfortable after the knee pads conformed to my battle-weary knees.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Aerostich Roadcrafter 2 piece - pants with zip-on bib top.
    +1 on Roadcrafter 2 piece - pants. However, I tried the zip-on bib top and soon put them away. I now use side-clip suspenders which are more comfortable for me.

Motorradfahrer
    I like my Summer 2 pants but agree with the how massive the armor is which can uncomfortable. I do feel safe. If it is really hot I wear Revit mesh pants which are very comfortable. When it is fall or early spring I really like my Firstgear TPG pants. I wear those on our long trips as well. I just don't wear them on day trips as I am not a big fan of black pants as black pants are hot.

Darien with Revzilla base layer long underwear.
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

I have Motoport kevlar stretch overpants. Custom made and fit like a glove. They are cool without the waterproof liner and the liner works and is good for life...

Work good for me.
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2010 1200RT

Morning Person
    I don't know what happened, but a couple of rides ago my City Pants just "broke in", for want of a better description. They're great now.

Who knew?

Smile

OLYMPIA X-Moto.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track