Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Results - Dec '11 Member Survey-Rally & Events

Smile

I agree with asking the entire membership via BMWON, AND I also don't understand why the entire year ie 12 months were not given as an option. Seems like the 'dates' were biased from the beginning to in the middle of the summer, IMHO.
    How hard would it be to have half a page in the BMWON asking 1) what temperature range would you like the Rally to have, and is that important, very important, etc. And 2) what month/dates would you like to see the Rally held, and is that important, very important, etc.? Once the temps and dates were known, that would narrow down the geographic location(s). What event brought about the NO MOVE from the July time-frame attitude, or it just a feeling or something else? Just curious.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    If you can send out the milage start forms in the springtime in the moa on mag. why can't you also send out a 3 by 5 card with a survey to EVERYONE??Why survey only 2000 why not EVERYONE? I just don't understand why this is not done ,period!What do you have against surveying EVERY ONE,might you not like the outcome or what may have to be done(move the rally that you really don't want to do) to remity the situation from a total survey of EVERYONE?? I never saw a survey?
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Sending out forms in the ON is expensive and doesn't guarentee any better results. One look at the number of people who vote in elections, even when there is competition, would show that. A web survey can be done for a fraction of the cost. Why spend more money for the same results?

Why include all 12 months in the survey? I don't think very many people would go to a rally held in the middle of winter. Again, you also have to consider when the volunteers who actually put on the rally are available. Without the volunteers MOA would be forced to spend a lot of money to pay other people to do those jobs. That would raise the rally fee and really give everyone something to whine about.

Lastly, the opinions of people who may have never been to a rally may be just as important, maybe more so, that the opinion of those that have been. Face it, you know what the people who come to the rally think (just read the forum). Don't discount someone's opinion just because they may have never been to a rally unless you also know why. For many years I wanted to make a national rally but my life situation just never allowed it, nor would it regardless of when it was held.

Here's a radical idea you can try if you are really that concerned about the rally timing, it's called participation. Run for a spot on the BOD and try and change things from the inside. At the very least volunteer for something in the MOA so that you can get a little bettter understanding of how, and why, things work the way they do.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Smile

TexPaul,
    I agree, some type of online survey to the whole membership should be considered. However, the questions/survey should be contained in the ON for those who may not be 'online' so their opinions 'counted' in some way.
    May not need 12 months in the survey, but certainly the time-frame should NOT be limited to June/July, don't you agree?
    Don't cry wolf unless it is needed, volunteers can volunteer in other months too! And that then begs the question, are volunteers numbers more important than members numbers? If you've never tried another time frame then nobody really knows, IMHO.
    I agree, every members' opinion/vote is just as important as anyone else's. I also agree that change from the inside is good, but like you sometimes life situations may not allow it. I don't think you necessarily need to be on the BOD, the BOD knows about the Rally conditions, and like I have said in the past, people speaking/voting with their feet/not coming will be the deciding factor, not you or me on this forum.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Texpaul View Post
    Sending out forms in the ON is expensive and doesn't guarentee any better results. One look at the number of people who vote in elections, even when there is competition, would show that. A web survey can be done for a fraction of the cost. Why spend more money for the same results?

Why include all 12 months in the survey? I don't think very many people would go to a rally held in the middle of winter. Again, you also have to consider when the volunteers who actually put on the rally are available. Without the volunteers MOA would be forced to spend a lot of money to pay other people to do those jobs. That would raise the rally fee and really give everyone something to whine about.

Lastly, the opinions of people who may have never been to a rally may be just as important, maybe more so, that the opinion of those that have been. Face it, you know what the people who come to the rally think (just read the forum). Don't discount someone's opinion just because they may have never been to a rally unless you also know why. For many years I wanted to make a national rally but my life situation just never allowed it, nor would it regardless of when it was held.

Here's a radical idea you can try if you are really that concerned about the rally timing, it's called participation. Run for a spot on the BOD and try and change things from the inside. At the very least volunteer for something in the MOA so that you can get a little bettter understanding of how, and why, things work the way they do.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

I used to post here, but now I don't.

John

A new guy perspective

As a new guy that has not attended a Rally (yet) this was a hard survey to fill out. At least 2/3 of the questions would take knowledge and the experience of attending a rally in order to make an educated choice. I was not able to skip questions that I did not feel qualified to answer. So, it was not completed. Certainly, when the rally is held, is a good question for the general population that wants to attend? June? July? For me, does not matter. I can see that for some folks it makes all the difference in the world as to when they have the time off. Collecting computerized data makes a lot sense, because it takes less time for the person or persons trying to compile the data.

I applaud the volunteers that put the Rally on and are looking for new ways of improving the event. From my perspective, it looks like a fantastic event that I hope to attend some day? Maybe at Salem Oregon? Like any event I have ever attended, if your a new guy/gal at your first event, all of it is new and exciting. If you have attended many events, it may seem stale and need refreshing. I can't gripe because I don't know?

Since I am from California (the home of fruits and nuts) may I suggest we all sit around in a circle, hold hands and sing Coom-bi-yaa. That is Happy-Hippy-Healer stuff! Coom-bi-yaa, I don't think I spelled that right? Peace-Love...

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    IHow hard would it be to have half a page in the BMWON asking 1) what temperature range would you like the Rally to have, and is that important, very important, etc. And 2) what month/dates would you like to see the Rally held, and is that important, very important, etc.? Once the temps and dates were known, that would narrow down the geographic location(s). What event brought about the NO MOVE from the July time-frame attitude, or it just a feeling or something else? Just curious.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert
    Asking what temperature we would like in a survey would not be useful. Based on the average temperature at rally locations, Bloomsburg would have been a winner but we complain because it was about 20 degrees above average. I've been to rallys when it was hot, cold and just right. I went to a couple of late Sept/early Oct rallys with the RA and nearly froze. You just never know.

Some don't think having a rally during school summer vacation is important. It is important to the age group we need to attract to the MOA. They are parents, teachers or otherwise employed by school systems or in business related to school (suppliers of goods, tech support and others that depend on school children for their income).
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Smile

Kumbaya

Quote Originally Posted by EvryDayRide View Post
    As a new guy that has not attended a Rally (yet) this was a hard survey to fill out. At least 2/3 of the questions would take knowledge and the experience of attending a rally in order to make an educated choice. I was not able to skip questions that I did not feel qualified to answer. So, it was not completed. Certainly, when the rally is held, is a good question for the general population that wants to attend? June? July? For me, does not matter. I can see that for some folks it makes all the difference in the world as to when they have the time off. Collecting computerized data makes a lot sense, because it takes less time for the person or persons trying to compile the data.

I applaud the volunteers that put the Rally on and are looking for new ways of improving the event. From my perspective, it looks like a fantastic event that I hope to attend some day? Maybe at Salem Oregon? Like any event I have ever attended, if your a new guy/gal at your first event, all of it is new and exciting. If you have attended many events, it may seem stale and need refreshing. I can't gripe because I don't know?

Since I am from California (the home of fruits and nuts) may I suggest we all sit around in a circle, hold hands and sing Coom-bi-yaa. That is Happy-Hippy-Healer stuff! Coom-bi-yaa, I don't think I spelled that right? Peace-Love...
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Smile

I have heard this teacher, etc. time and time again! Is there any fact, numbers, any real data to back this up? I'd like to see any hard data and the meta-data if there is something to this. This school effect cannot influence a 30,000 person membership unless we're all in a teachers union.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Some don't think having a rally during school summer vacation is important. It is important to the age group we need to attract to the MOA. They are parents, teachers or otherwise employed by school systems or in business related to school (suppliers of goods, tech support and others that depend on school children for their income).
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Quote Originally Posted by EvryDayRide View Post

John
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    Kumbaya
    Ya, thank you, that is what I ment!

If you can send out the milage start forms in the springtime in the moa on mag. why can't you also send out a 3 by 5 card with a survey to EVERYONE??
    the BOD does not want to do this because they will not get the results they want, which is to hold the rally in July, like it has been since the beginning of time.

it seems they want my membership dues but they don't want my opinion on when the rally should be held.

it really is not all that hard to put an end this ongoing discussion every year. conduct an honest survey of all the members. once that is done then the next time the question of when the rally is held arises the BOD can show hard data, collected from all the members, as to when the majority want the rally held. until that happens, this will be an ongoing issue, discussed at great length every year.

the BOD does not want to do this because they will not get the results they want, which is to hold the rally in July, like it has been since the beginning of time.
    It's always easier to believe conspircy that to attempt to understand complexity.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    it really is not all that hard to put an end this ongoing discussion every year. Conduct an honest survey of all the members. Once that is done, then the next time the question of when the rally is held arises the BOD can show hard data, (collected from all the members) as to when the majority want the rally held. until that happens, this will be an ongoing issue, discussed at great length every year.
    Here! Here!
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Texpaul View Post
    It's always easier to believe conspiracy that to attempt to understand complexity.

Moderator interruption-
    Tossing around ideas that may help in a future Rally is fine.....when members get so worked up that we have to step in and referee- it's something we at the mod team would rather not do.
    Please play nice.
    Thanks, the mod team.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program