Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Results - Dec '11 Member Survey-Rally & Events

Thumbs up Results - Dec '11 Member Survey-Rally & Events

Forum Friends ...

Here is the link to the survey that we sent to 2000 randomly-selected members in the end of December. 2011. We were amazed and delighted with the member-response: Nearly half of those contacted accessed the questionnaire, and 751 completed it. If you were one of those members, we thank you. Your input is invaluable as we look to the future of the BMW MOA national rallies.

Some members emailed us back and asked if they should complete it if they have never attended a rally. As you can see, we definitely wanted their feedback as well.

How did we generate the list of members? We used a computer program to generate the random-list of 2000 from the members whose email addresses we had. If I recall correctly, that was around 27,000.

One of the key things we pulled from this survey was that the last three weeks in July continue to be the preference, although the end of June is certainly popular as well. The 4th of July week is definitely out.

Not included in this survey was the feedback from the Key Committee Chairs, who overwhelmingly still prefer the last two weeks of July. While this is an important factor to keep in mind when scheduling rally dates, the members who took the time to fill this out showed us that the end of June should be a consideration as well.

RALLY and EVENTS Survey - Membership
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

One of the key things we pulled from this survey was that the last three weeks in July continue to be the preference, although the end of June is certainly popular as well. The 4th of July week is definitely out.
    unless i am reading it incorrectly it seems the members that responded prefer the rally to be held mid-June through end of June, followed by mid-July through end of July, after July 4th through mid-July and finally July 4th week or weekend.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    unless i am reading it incorrectly it seems the members that responded prefer the rally to be held mid-June through end of June, followed by mid-July through end of July, after July 4th through mid-July and finally July 4th week or weekend.
    July wins if you combine the time periods to match the single June time period.

The main thing I got from the survey is the most important factor is the distance the rally is from the member questioned. With the way members are spread out, I think we're fortunate to have the number attending that we have.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

This presentation needs to be tweaked some...for example, on slide 7 about the rally dates, what do the numbers mean within each block? They don't sum to anything that makes sense. And how come the left axis values don't really match anything? All the charts are that way. In some cases, the legend at the bottom doesn't provide any information as to the choices...it's just a number 1 thru 5, etc.

Makes me wonder if the proper comparisons are being shown? Hmmm...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

WDaigle
    The more interesting statistic to me is why of the 2,000 members who were sent the e-mail survey in December (which is definitely not hot) less than half even accessed it and only 751 replied. If 1249 members out of 2,000 would not even take the time to reply to a survey that so many at that time seemed to have wanted, then what would make anyone think that any more than 15% to 20% of them would attend the national rally no matter what time of the year or where it is held?

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    This presentation needs to be tweaked some...for example, on slide 7 about the rally dates, what do the numbers mean within each block? They don't sum to anything that makes sense. And how come the left axis values don't really match anything? All the charts are that way. In some cases, the legend at the bottom doesn't provide any information as to the choices...it's just a number 1 thru 5, etc.

Makes me wonder if the proper comparisons are being shown? Hmmm...
    This pdf is the power point presentation that the software offers as the report. We have all of the numbers, but I did not have the time nor the energy to try to figure out a practical way to display them. So I just chose this report, and saved it as a pdf. Here is another view, which was not incorporated into the power point.
    (You guys are killin' me!)

I hope this picture helps ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by lagator View Post
    The more interesting statistic to me is why of the 2,000 members who were sent the e-mail survey in December (which is definitely not hot) less than half even accessed it and only 751 replied. If 1249 members out of 2,000 would not even take the time to reply to a survey that so many at that time seemed to have wanted, then what would make anyone think that any more than 15% to 20% of them would attend the national rally no matter what time of the year or where it is held?
    Gator ...
    We sent it when we were working on the Rally Review committee. Would you rather have had us wait until mid-summer to get this information, and lose 6 months?
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador

Sue -

Thanks...the alternate picture will really mess people up!! I just didn't understand why some were in % of respondents (that makes sense) and others were in some kind of none descript scale. I'm an engineer, so these kind of things sort of bug me! Just me I guess... . I guess about all we can do is look at the relative differences between any of the colored columns and draw some conclusion from that.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

WDaigle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Gator ...
    We sent it when we were working on the Rally Review committee. Would you rather have had us wait until mid-summer to get this information, and lose 6 months?
    Sue, I was not critisizing you or the rally review committee about when the survey was sent out. There are members complaining now and after last year's rally about not attending because it is too hot in July. My point was that if only 751 people out of 2,000 suveys sent out even replied to the survey from the comfort of their homes in December then many of them would not likely attend the rally no matter what month or where it is held. You would think that after all of the griping about the heat at last year's rally and posting on this forum asking the BOD to take a survey about this that a lot larger percentage of the surveys sent out would have been completed and returned. They asked for the survey. This leads me to believe that some people just have a need to complain and no matter what anyone tries to do to satisfy them they will never be satisfied.
    Wanda and I enjoyed meeting you and helping out at the volunteer table on Tuesday.
    Last edited by lagator; 07-30-2012 at 11:42 AM.

interestingly, 42% of respondents haven't been to a rally in the past 10 years and 80% have never volunteered at a rally.

Don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing... but it would be interesting to compare the opinions of regular rally goers to those who have never gone to a rally.

these charts have been posted before somewhere... I remember posting that Kenk has been vindicated. It's pretty obvious that the most salient features of a rally are:

• S&S
    • Camping

Yes, there are many additional considerations, such as the ability to sell beer ourselves, but as someone who has attended many rallies, this makes it clear we *really* need to focus on location and riding.

That seems to have a different meaning to different people. I heard somebody say the riding in Gillette was terrible, and I enjoyed it a lot. No, it was not the Dragon, but still enjoyable. I heard somebody say there was nothing to draw them to MO, and I think the roads in MO are very nice to ride on, and I enjoyed that a lot.
    I think it is impossible to please everybody, especially if some have high expectations, and/or expect to be entertained, instead of entertaining themselves.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

One year, we had the national rally in July - in FLAGSTAFF, ARIZONA. I can remember thinking, why would anyone go to Arizona in July? But off I went - - because, after all, it was the MOA National Rally! Flagstaff is quite high in elevation and the nights were cool, and as I recall, we had a significant amount of rain at that rally as well.

Same story with Fredericksburg, Texas. Who would have guessed that the Hill Country of Texas was so beautiful ? ? ? Certainly not a northern girl like me.

My club picks my vacation destinations. I have never been disappointed. I have ridden to destinations that I never would have chosen for myself.

Is this for everyone? Nope. But it worked for me for 26 years. I would like to thank former boards and future boards for thinking outside the box, and not bowing to the vocal few, always keeping an eye out for the membership as a whole.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador

What Sue said in spades!

My fist MOA National was in Escanaba MI, that was it, I was hooked!

I have only missed 2 since, we center our vaccation around the Nationals.

The circle of friends keeps getting bigger!

We volunteer as much as we can, more friends!

Never was at a bad Rally, some better than others.

I would like to thank the 3 rally chairs, committee chairs, the MOA Board and the all the vollunteers that made this happen!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    One year, we had the national rally in July - in FLAGSTAFF, ARIZONA. I can remember thinking, why would anyone go to Arizona in July? But off I went - - because, after all, it was the MOA National Rally! Flagstaff is quite high in elevation and the nights were cool, and as I recall, we had a significant amount of rain at that rally as well.
    the operative phrase....

Question

Did I miss something in the power point presentation, the only time frames mentioned were Mid-June thru end-July? Is that correct? Were any other time frames considered? i.e. April, May, June (early), August, Sept, October, etc.
    And 7xx people spoke for 3xxxx? or about 3% of the membership? Is that what is being taken as gospel?

Ride Safe,
    Robert
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf