Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought an IPhone

It's funny we are talking about apps. I traded in an iPhone 3GS for a brand new Galaxy S II last October.

In 30 days, I switched the S II for a 4S since Android apps were far more expensive and were awful to work with.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    In 30 days, I switched the S II for a 4S since Android apps were far more expensive and were awful to work with.
    My experience exactly. iPhone 3G, Droid, iPhone 3GS all in a week. Went to a 4 sometime later, will buy the 6th gen iphone which is supposed to come out soon.

Android: launch angry bird, wait while it pauses mid-flight, etc. This was on the supposedly hardware superior Xoom when it came out. Ugh.

That said: I WANT TO LIKE ANDROID, I'M A GADGET GEEK. So far, I do not.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I tried the Android OS on one of my PCs. It lasted 2 days before it was replaced by Win 7.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Better get the S III pretty soon. Apple just filed another suit against Samsung naming it and a few other models. Apple is beginning to look more and more like a bully.
    1983 R100RS
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

I phone

A couple years ago, at the nagging of my kids, i bought a Macbook Pro laptop. To date no issues, viruses, etc. works perfect every time. So, once again, since a 25 year old daughter knows best, i got the I phone 4S. Holy cow its cool, i don't gotta clue how to use all this tech, but pretty neat stuff. Been very happy with Apple stuff, and my kds and wife swear by it.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKAZ View Post
    Better get the S III pretty soon. Apple just filed another suit against Samsung naming it and a few other models. Apple is beginning to look more and more like a bully.
    Apple has never been shy about using lawyers in their biz.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Apple also got a load of damning evidence in the last trial.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by bmwcliff View Post
    A couple years ago, at the nagging of my kids, i bought a Macbook Pro laptop. To date no issues, viruses, etc. works perfect every time. So, once again, since a 25 year old daughter knows best, i got the I phone 4S. Holy cow its cool, i don't gotta clue how to use all this tech, but pretty neat stuff. Been very happy with Apple stuff, and my kds and wife swear by it.
    Same story at my house. Can't go wrong with Apple as far as we are concerned.
    2010 R1200RT
    GO HOGS!

I bought into the iPhone / iPad thing in January. My next laptop with be an Apple product. Pretty impressive, so far.
    --PirateJohn--
    www.PirateJohn.com

My 20 year daughter has been using using MacBook Pro the last two years in college, and she'll likely finish college with it.

She's already told me she wants a desktop next (Windows) and Microsoft Surface.

You guys that service your own bikes, you use laptops?

For a lot less than a Mac laptop, I can build a super desktop and run anything on it. A PC is a toaster to me.

I run a 8-thread CPU, with 16GB 1866 memory and 8TB storage. This thing is lightening fast and has had no failures since built.

Oh, I left out I have both 27" and 24" monitors with different things running on each.
    I also left out my work PC is much like this one, but there, a 24" portrait monitor displays my work nice and large, and the 23" landscape monitor runs Outlook and gadgets, and a few other programs and displays work on two pages at a time.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    For a lot less than a Mac laptop, I can build a super desktop and run anything on it. A PC is a toaster to me.
    A desktop doesn't quite fit into my panniers.

I used to do the "build your own desktop" thing. That led to an issue with noise. A quiet case was both big and expensive. Given the two or three machines that live in my office the fan noise was enough to require earplugs!

Turns out a cheap mac mini (about $600) is both quiet and has plenty of power to run my web and mail server. It was a hardware solution to part of my noise issues. I do not run OS X on that server. However, because of the mac mini when my main desktop started failing I thought I'd give an iMac a try. That was about 4 1/2 years ago.

I've had a quiet office ever since.

My PCs are quiet as well, built that way.

I use the iPhone for email and all other junk when on the bike. It works anywhere there is 3G or wireless.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

It's good to see all this info. Thanks to everyone for not turning this into an oil thread.
    With the IPhone, I find that, with old eyes, it's like reading my laptop through a storm drain cover. Has anyone found an app for better "optimizing" or "formatting" of the screen? I also notice that in the "tether" mode, the page load speed is about 1 minute between clicks. Thanks to all. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Today's (Sunday) Dilbert strip is pretty funny (IMO), re: Apple vs Android...
    1983 R100RS
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    It's good to see all this info. Thanks to everyone for not turning this into an oil thread.
    With the IPhone, I find that, with old eyes, it's like reading my laptop through a storm drain cover. Has anyone found an app for better "optimizing" or "formatting" of the screen? I also notice that in the "tether" mode, the page load speed is about 1 minute between clicks. Thanks to all. Gary
    If and when I have this issue, and it is rare, I turn the screen sideways, and change the display to the larger landscape mode.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog