Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought an IPhone

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwgsrider View Post
    Can you please tell me what you mean by downloading a full package from Apple?
    Sure, go to the Apple website, click on iTunes, and then click on download iTunes. All selections are at the top of the page.

As Gary discovered, sometimes the updates are problematic. Updates are reported by the Apple Update control panel in windows or software update utility on the macaroni.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Can you please tell me what you mean by downloading a full package from Apple?
    Sure Anna, it would be as if I never had ITunes. The old one was removed from the computer and the new one added as if it was the first time.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Sure, go to the Apple website, click on iTunes, and then click on download iTunes. All selections are at the top of the page.

As Gary discovered, sometimes the updates are problematic. Updates are reported by the Apple Update control panel in windows or software update utility on the macaroni.
    Interesting... I shall keep that in mind. I had Apple walk me through on reinstalling iTunes... they had me delete stuff in a certain order. I should start writing things down as they have me do stuff for future reference. Thanks.
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovineguy View Post
    If I could, I would suggest the LifeProof case, waterproof, dust proof, snow proof, much lighter then the Otter Box, a bit more $$, but IMHO well worth it. I've shot videos from inside a full beer glass with no problems. http://www.lifeproof.com/ I have no connection with LifeProof other than a very satisfied customer.
    +1 on the Lifeproof case. I also purchased the mount adaptor that allows you to use GoPro mounts to attach your Lifeproof'd iPhone to your bike. In addition to the Lifeproof mount. I bought the GoPro "Grab Bag" at Walmart for $20. I'll take a pic and it to this post.

Total cost was approx $100:
    Lifeproof iPhone case $50 on Amazon.com
    Adaptor (link below) $30
    GoPro Grab Bag $20 @ Walmart

Here's the link to the Lifeproof adaptor I bought. http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/access...r-gopro-mounts

For navigation I've recently stared using Waze its free like it so far. Only used it once.
    McD MPCO 2D MAR DIV
    2010 RT Thunder Grey Metallic
    BMWMOA #159652
    MSF Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by McDJT View Post
    +1 on the Lifeproof case. I also purchased the mount adaptor that allows you to use GoPro mounts to attach your Lifeproof'd iPhone to your bike. In addition to the Lifeproof mount. I bought the GoPro "Grab Bag" at Walmart for $20. I'll take a pic and it to this post.

Total cost was approx $100:
    Lifeproof iPhone case $50 on Amazon.com
    Adaptor (link below) $30
    GoPro Grab Bag $20 @ Walmart

Here's the link to the Lifeproof adaptor I bought. http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/access...r-gopro-mounts

For navigation I've recently stared using Waze its free like it so far. Only used it once.
    Helpful first post Welcome to the forum!
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Glad I could help, and thanks! I've spent a lot of time nosing around the forum, but just recently became a MOA member.
    McD MPCO 2D MAR DIV
    2010 RT Thunder Grey Metallic
    BMWMOA #159652
    MSF Rider Coach

Built in storage capacity

I'm considering an iphone along with a samsung. The samsung has a micro sd slot and it comes with 16gb of internal storage. It can be upgraded using the micro sd slot to 64gb.

The iphone has no micro sd slot so I'm wondering if 16gb would be adequate for a moderate user.

I would like some input from those familiar with iphone. Thanks
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post
    I'm considering an iphone along with a samsung. The samsung has a micro sd slot and it comes with 16gb of internal storage. It can be upgraded using the micro sd slot to 64gb.

The iphone has no micro sd slot so I'm wondering if 16gb would be adequate for a moderate user.

How much information do you plan to keep on phone such as pictures/videos, apps, and etc.? The operating system does take up some memory and each OS update. Some people 16GB adequate. I personally went with the most GB phone... I plan to keep it a while.
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

How much information do you plan to keep on phone such as pictures/videos, apps, and etc.? The operating system does take up some memory and each OS update. Some people 16GB adequate. I personally went with the most GB phone... I plan to keep it a while.
    This being my first smartphone I don't really know for sure. Probably be using it when I'm on the bike more than any other time. A minimal amount of music downloads , I'll be taking some pictures as I travel about maybe even a video clip. I'll be using it for a GPS. Probably the maps will use the most storage but I don't know how much.
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

I'm just about out of space on my 32gb iPhone and 64gb iPad. Depends what you store. Lots of movies on the iPad, music on the phone.

I use the iPad for dumping the contents of the helmet cam so I can use the card again.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Before you buy, read up on the Apple vs. Samsung battle. http://techland.time.com/2012/08/27/...nt-dont-panic/
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

We're thinking up upgrading to smart phones so I've been looking at iPhones & Android phones. What I've found...

Nearly all the apps that are available for iPhone are also available for Android and they're often free or cheaper. With anything Apple you're pretty much tied to iTunes and the Apple App store but there are several sources for Android content and again it's often cheaper. You can't replace the battery in an iPhone (at least it's not easy) as you can in many Android phones and you can't put a memory card into an iPhone. The hardware on some of the Android phones is better the on the iPhone (camera, display, etc.). Android has a much larger market share than iOS. As a software developer (retired) I much prefer Android's open architecture over Apple's closed proprietary architecture. Go to a Verizon or Sprint or ATT store where you can look at the phones side by side and see which one you like. If you're already in the Apple camp you'll probably feel at home with an iPhone but the interface is very similar (hence all the litigation).

My wife is ready to go for an iPhone but I'm on the fence between an iPhone, a Motorola Droid Razr or Max, or the new Samsung S III. We'll probably wait till the new iPhone comes out and the price of the 4S goes down. Or we may just stick with our dumb phones...I'm not really sure we'd use all the bells & whistles in the smart ones.

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth. YMMV, etc...

(Disclaimer...I worked for Motorola for 30 yrs but not in the cell phone division)
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

I have the new Samsung Galaxy S3. For those ho might worry about the lawsuit - don't. The Galaxy S3 is not part of that suit and was designed so as to not upset the Apple cart.

With the exception of our phones, our whole household is now Apple. We have three new 15" Macbook pros, several ipods, and even one new iphone 4s.

This new S3 is a fantastic phone. I got the 16Gig model. I currently have a 16 gig micro sd card in it giving it 32 gig total. But I'm going to upgrade to either a 64 or 128 gig micro sd, giving me either 80 or a whopping 144 gig respectively. And the screen is big! Very easy to see the screen.

I also have an app, just installed today, that syncs my S3 with itunes. All the music, movies, podcasts, everything seems to sync. You just plug the phone into the mac using the USB cable and the app comes up and you can choose what you want to sync.

The phone has an 8meg rear facing camera and a 1.5 meg front facing camera. It can actually see you when your using it and keep the screen on. It recognizes your face. You can type using the keyboards, or you can just use your finger to hand-write the letters and it puts the letters in automatically. It has voice recognition similar to Siri too.

Don't know if any of this helps you or not. We love our Apple computers. But right now the Samsung S3 is the king of the hill as far as smartphones go. And from what I'm hearing, the new iphone 5 will not measure up.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

67TigerMK11

iphone apps

Get "YELP" great for restaurants, hotels, and lots of other stuff. My goto app when traveling. Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by MARKAZ View Post
    Nearly all the apps that are available for iPhone are also available for Android and they're often free or cheaper.
    They're often a whole lot less functional as well, sometimes jerky or klunky graphics. If you do go android, get one that isn't saddled with carrier apps. That means Nexus.

Yeah you are tied to apple, but where it shows is in the consistency and quality of anything you want to run. Android, not so much.

-Tom (KA1TOX)