Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: So I bought an IPhone

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I've built dozens of pc's. Last one died a year ago and was not replaced. Running windows under emulation or directly to the apple hardware is a no brainier. One machine runs any software I want. If I run under emulation both windows and Mac stuff are backed up to time capsule without thinking bout it.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

It's still easier and much more effective carrying the iPhone instead of a laptop.
    I get web, email, texts, local info, maps, and a lot more, and it fits in my pocket (the Zumo takes care of telephone on the bike).
    Last edited by AZ-J; 09-03-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: clearer
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I've built dozens of pc's. Last one died a year ago and was not replaced. Running windows under emulation or directly to the apple hardware is a no brainier. One machine runs any software I want. If I run under emulation both windows and Mac stuff are backed up to time capsule without thinking bout it.
    +1

I run a MacBookPro with OS X, Win7, and Win XP in Fusion Virtual 4 Machines. Time Machine (backup) is a true set-and-forget backup solution. Time Capsule is even better!

I've tried carrying a 3G iPad or an Ultrabook, but I still find relying on the iPhone to be the best compromise of size and functionality. Waiting to replace my "ancient" iPhone 3Gs with the new iPhone out this month.
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Seems like there is some sort of up-grade available to the operating system- has anyone done it....any differences? was it so big that it best be done through the computer (ITunes?) OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I did mine over the phone, it took about 2 hours.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

About 30 minutes connected to the computer. Typical time.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Seems like there is some sort of up-grade available to the operating system- has anyone done it....any differences? was it so big that it best be done through the computer (ITunes?) OM
    You want to upgrade iTunes first, then depending on your phone (I think i4 is the cutoff) you can and must update to iO6 before migrating to the i5 (if desired).
    It's a large update, actually a full blown OS and firmware load. So it's not a fifteen minute procedure.
    Yes, I would suggest you do it at your desk.

I updated to ios 6 on the phone via wifi. Took somewhere around an hour.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

Interestingly enough, the up-date took 3 hours (via DSL computer link). When it first popped up as 3, I kinda thought it was like other download estimates but nope, 3 hours. Once the download was finished, there were some more gyrations, questions, and a couple of e-mails.
    It's interesting that during the process, Apple, was trying to let me know what was going on. This is different than Microsoft which seems to be more of a "do this and like it" approach.
    What this up-date will do for me As far as I can tell there is some sort of "passport" thing now and the phone pad is now white-rather than black. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Interestingly enough, the up-date took 3 hours (via DSL computer link).
    Ahhh, DSL, that's why. I have a 50Mbps pipe.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Subtle changes with the iOS 6 update. The biggest downside -- you're now using Apple Maps. Google maps is still accessible via maps.google.com or use Google Earth, Waze, MotionX, or Garmin N America.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Ahhh, DSL, that's why. I have a 50Mbps pipe.

http://www.speedtest.net/
    I hate to do that speed test........the computer laughs at me. The download was 912.8 MB OM
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I just did the update on my iPad and it did take a while, but went smoothly. I got the iPhone 5 on the 21st and after a few hours of use it feels just like the 4s in size and feel.
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 1979 BMW 100RT; 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition

Yeah, the up-date. The changes seem to be rather subtle. One of the changes that I notice is that there is no longer notification of all wireless connections in the area- if the connections are "locked" they are ignored. I would guess that if you are used to where an "open" connection should be, it really doesn't matter.
    Still can't stop hitting the wrong spot on the screen and sending off a half finished e-mail
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

About the flashlight......I have noticed people using the phone as a flashlight. This seemed to be a useful secondary usage but it's an App?. There are a bunch of them-some free and some for a small charge. Anybody using "the flashlight" App?
    I don't get why Apple just doesn't offer it and what do those that offer it "free" get for their efforts OM
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Anybody using "the flashlight" App?
    I had one on the phone for a long time, but never used it. Some of the early ones just lit up the screen white, others use the flash LED.

In the early days of the app store, fart apps were all the rage for some bizarre reason.

-Tom (KA1TOX)