Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought an IPhone

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyatheart View Post

Easiest solution. Buy a Mac.
    That doesn't help if the problem is the IPhone.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Different phone, but...on my HTC phone, when I plug the phone into the computer, I have to make a decision on the phone whether to treat the connect like I was going to charge the phone or to use it as an external device. Once I tap external device, then the phone shows up and I can manipulate files on the phone. Just thought I'd throw that out there...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I have an I pod (the phoneless I phone relative) It's probably obvious, but I find that when away from bright lighting or the sun, dimming the display as low as possible seems to extend battery life considerably. When I use it to read in bed I put it all the way to the dimmest. Seems to be easier on my eyes & Supposedly has less effect on my circadian rhythm when I'm reading sleeplessly at 0400 or so.

Sorry I'm late to this thread, but here goes...

Before I go further I suggest that you BUY APPLE CARE. I say it again: BUY APPLE CARE. Apple Care is, by far, the best customer service I've experienced. That said...

I love the iPhone. I currently use an iPhone 4, bought one year ago when I dove into the Gulf of Mexico with my iPhone 3GS in my pocket. I was a Windows/PC guy for decades looking down my nose at those childish people who preferred Macs. I preferred adult computers. But then, in November of 2009 I had to get a new phone and and after years of Nokias, I did a lot of research on smart phones, finally settling on an iPhone 3GS, which was my first Apple product. I now own an iPod (in my car plugged into the sound system), iPad, and a 15" MacBook Pro (purchased a year ago when my PC laptop died). I'm now an Apple guy with an Apple family. My daughters have an iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, iPods each, and each has a 15" MacBook Pro. My wife has an iPhone 3GS and a 13" MacBook Air (which is SOOOO cool!). The only thing left to replace is my wife's aging desktop PC. BTW, getting a Mac makes the iPhone (and iPad) experience much better because of the ease of iTunes, iPhoto, the software updates, iCloud (VERY COOL - no more losing contacts when you lose or destroy your phone!),and probably other stuff I haven't checked out. Suffice it to say that my iPhone is basically an extension of my hand. I have three email accounts on it, play music (iTunes and Pandora), pay bills, stay informed, take pictures, text, and, oh yes, make phone calls on my iPhone! Amazingly, you can do all that and the iPhone doesn't come with an owner's manual! Yes, I've drunk the Kool-Aid.

As far as apps are concerned, I'm a newshound. I have tons of news apps, but these are my most visited:
    • Dallas Morning News (I live in the Dallas area) - pretty good app if you subscribe. Kind of surprising because their webpage is terrible
    • USA Today - excellent app!
    • Drudge Report - there are several free versions
    • Daily Mail - good fun stuff
    • HUffington Post - very good app
    • New York Times - I love the NYTimes and this app, but the NYTimes now limits non-subscribers to a handfull of articles per month, and I find that I just don't go to it as much.
    • TMZ - nice trashy gossip stuff!
    • The Onion - okay... its not really NEWS, but its lots of fun
    • Google News - get on it in Safari, then turn it into an app. The app is actually on Safari, but its a quick shortcut. I go to it a lot to check out headlines.

I have six weather apps, including one that comes on the iPhone, but these two are my favorites:
    • The Weather Channel - its free, and I use it more than any of my other weather apps. You can input multiple cities for it to follow, which I found fun when my daughter spent the summer studying in Botswana and Cape Town.
    • AccuWeather - amazingling bright radar maps!

Reference stuff:
    • Dictionary - I'm a word nerd and use this one a LOT. Its so big that it can only be downloaded and updated when on WiFi. It also has a thesaurus. There are lots of dictionary apps out there. This one has a blue icon with a white D in a white circle.
    • Wikipedia - very good app. Better than the Safari page
    • ebay - very good app

These are just a handful of the games apps I've downloaded:
    • Drop7 - I'm addicted. Get the free one.
    • Angry Birds - the only app that I've actually paid for. Love it!
    • Solitaire - there are quite a few out there, but I like mine. It used to be free but now I think there's a charge
    • Soduku - again, there are a lot out there. Mine's free and I like it.
    • iAssociate - neat game

I pay a lot of bills and check bank accounts on my iPhone. Some examples:
    • GEICO is a very good app
    • My AT&T is very good

Others that I go to a lot
    • AroundMe is very cool. Particularly when traveling.
    • Starbucks has a great app which includes a map showing every Starbucks in your area.
    • Facebook - works very well, but the regular web page is better.

I have a lot more apps, but those above tend to be my "go to" apps. Of the apps that come with the iPhone, I use Maps, Calculator, and Clock (stopwatch, and times in multiple places, etc...) , Notes, and Music quite a bit.

Good luck, and let us know what you do!
    Last edited by mistercindy; 08-20-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Plugging an iPhone into a Windows PC? Make certain you are using a good cable.

I have a Griffin cable that works, but that's one of six, so not all cables work. If you are seeing only a camera, the cable is likely the issue.

Make certain you use the Apple cable and try this. That should work better.

If that does not, the above poster is correct, buy Apple Care. We have 4 4S's and one is always breaking (there is me and three women). My wife's phone has a transverse crack in the screen today. She'll get a new phone.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Are you making sure the phone plugged in to the computer before opening iTunes? the device should be there. If not, not sure if have maybe a glitch in iTunes and have to delete and restore parts of itunes... you should have 90 day free tech support for them to walk you through... the Apple Care plus does wonders but have to buy it before 30 days.....
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.

Well as I plod along with this, my PC sees the IPhone as a camera-nothing else. I've run through a whole host of things and it would appear that the IPhone does not appear in the "device manager" part of the PC. I therefore theorize that without a "driver" to support the IPhone there is no integration/connection between the two Interestingly enough, if I go to ITunes from the IPhone it recognizes me and the half dozen songs that I have purchased- complete with the list.
    Perhaps to go back to the screen where I "registered" the IPod and add the IPhone would do it. I don't know where that is. From the get-go it seemed that ITunes was a bit clunky (I don't use it much) and a drop box to add another Apple device seems to be what's needed. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Remove iTunes. (Control panel - add/remove software).

Reinstall iTunes.

That fixes the issue most of the time. Removing iTunes does not remove any of your content.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Remove iTunes. (Control panel - add/remove software).

Reinstall iTunes.

That fixes the issue most of the time. Removing iTunes does not remove any of your content.
    Gonna force it to pay attention?? Does that erase my playlists?
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Don't know about play lists. I've only done it for friends and family and didn't pay attention to their playlist configuration. I didn't hear any complaints... but maybe that's because they don't use play lists.

Find the playlist and move them. Then uninstall iTunes and reinstall.

Windows should find the driver if you have a good i-net connection.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    Sorry I'm late to this thread, but here goes...

Before I go further I suggest that you BUY APPLE CARE. I say it again: BUY APPLE CARE. Apple Care is, by far, the best customer service I've experienced. That said...

I love the iPhone. I currently use an iPhone 4, bought one year ago when I dove into the Gulf of Mexico with my iPhone 3GS in my pocket. I was a Windows/PC guy for decades looking down my nose at those childish people who preferred Macs. I preferred adult computers. But then, in November of 2009 I had to get a new phone and and after years of Nokias, I did a lot of research on smart phones, finally settling on an iPhone 3GS, which was my first Apple product. I now own an iPod (in my car plugged into the sound system), iPad, and a 15" MacBook Pro (purchased a year ago when my PC laptop died). I'm now an Apple guy with an Apple family.

Good luck, and let us know what you do!
    Good post with lots of help. Thanks for the lengthy bit of prose ( so to speak).
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

All righty then... in a combination of things...there was no "device driver". With an Apple care number provided by bmwgsrider, I was on the phone with Apple.
    I had done an up-date last week when ITunes asked me if I wanted to. I'm not sure if the up-date "took" or not as I've not had the problem of them not taking (any program). While on the phone a number of things were checked, lastly a new download of ITunes that didn't take.
    All that sent me up to the next level-supervisor. This included an extraction of the old ITunes,(6 segments), locating the fresh download and executing the new ITunes.
    With the new version installed, ITunes recognized the IPhone right away and I was off to do the registration that I had sorta expected from the get go.
    It was explained that up-dates sometimes don't include drivers from the past-sometimes. Also it seemed that Quicktime is now a separate download.

The customer service was very nice on both the levels that I had to deal with and the rep on the second level had certainly done this "cure" before.
    Hopefully the info in this thread will help others if they want to make a move towards Apple. OM
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Glad you're back up and running, Gary. As a general rule, it's usually better to download a full package from Apple as if you're a new user and install that when it's time to update iTunes. The installer will save what needs to be saved and trash what doesn't. I have very little experience running itunes on windows, but this method is also useful on the Mac side of things from time to time.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Glad you're back up and running, Gary. As a general rule, it's usually better to download a full package from Apple as if you're a new user and install that when it's time to update iTunes. The installer will save what needs to be saved and trash what doesn't. I have very little experience running itunes on windows, but this method is also useful on the Mac side of things from time to time.
    Can you please tell me what you mean by downloading a full package from Apple?
    Bye bye 2006 F650 GS for a 2011 F650 GS.